Aloha, recently moved to San Antonio from Hawaii.

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: Aloha, recently moved to San Antonio from Hawaii.

Post by Rebel »

Nice ride. Looks like your friend was tuned in pretty well.
Great to have you around.
Just curious,,do the names Kimo McVay or Keola Beamer mean anything to ya ?
Kimo was a friend of mine, along with Keola who use to partner up with his brother years ago, had a big hit called Honolulu City Lights. Think Keola still records and teaches slack guitar. Kimo was the son of Charles McVay who was the Captain of the Indianapolis that was sunk by Jap submarine after it delivered the bomb, the big bomb.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
Hawaiian punch
I am merely driving my van

Post by Hawaiian punch »

Rebel wrote:Nice ride. Looks like your friend was tuned in pretty well.
Great to have you around.
Just curious,,do the names Kimo McVay or Keola Beamer mean anything to ya ?
Kimo was a friend of mine, along with Keola who use to partner up with his brother years ago, had a big hit called Honolulu City Lights. Think Keola still records and teaches slack guitar. Kimo was the son of Charles McVay who was the Captain of the Indianapolis that was sunk by Jap submarine after it delivered the bomb, the big bomb.
oh heck yea!! the Beamer brothers!! I'm very famliar with them, Honolulu city lights is still very popular in the islands among the older gens, the song came out in the 70's during my high school days at Waipahu High school.

Kimo was Keola and Kapono Beamers I believe manager or promoter, he passed away in 2001, heres an artical from a local news paper when the 2 got back together for a reunion momorial for Kimo...

http://starbulletin.com/2001/07/07/news/story11.html

how you know Keola from? you one local from Hawaii?

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Hey, thanks. I was out there visiting my parents when that song was released. We also have the video Betsy's, Kimo's wife made of Kimo's celebration of life ceremony held at the beach after his death. Kimo was a great guy who I miss alot.
Take care and glad the history is still alive in HI.

Kimo's funeral was the first time the Beamer brothers had performed together since the 70's. They had a falling out years ago and to this day, as far as I know, are still not speaking to each other.
Last edited by Rebel on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

Topic author
Hawaiian punch

Post by Hawaiian punch »

Rebel wrote:Hey, thanks. I was out there visiting my parents when that song was released. We also have the video Betsie, Kimo's wife made of Kimo's celebration of life ceremony held at the beach after his death. Kimo was a great guy who I miss alot.
Take care and glad the history is still alive in HI.
aint no big ting braddah!!

the history will always be alive in hawaii my friend! always will be.

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

You asked how I knew Keola,,my family and myself were friends of Kimo and Betsy McVay's. Kimo managed the Beamers is how I got to know him. My parents lived in Hi. and also became close to Keola's Mother.
Small world and nice to go back in time for a minute.
Take care

Just got a chance to read the post on Kimo's last gathering. Sure brought back alot of memories of my time with he and his family. He was one in a million and missed by many. Thanks again for posting it.

VIDEO

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

man ive always wanted to do seating like that in my van, you need to get the LT tan leather front seats like i have though to complete the interior now. did you construct them yourself or have them made? and roughly what was the cost either way? my drivers seat could be re-leathered in a year or two, i regularily use Prochem's 2 part Leather cleaner and conditioner but as my van is a bit of a workhorse the drivers seat is starting to crack and wear.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

wow.. that's a very clean ride. looks really nice in the green with the tan interior.

your friend 'Tom' .. was this his van or does he buy them do the work and sell them done?
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
Hawaiian punch

Post by Hawaiian punch »

crash wrote:wow.. that's a very clean ride. looks really nice in the green with the tan interior.

your friend 'Tom' .. was this his van or does he buy them do the work and sell them done?
he owned this van, original owner may I add.