Gas mileage

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Re: Gas mileage

Post by WVKayaker »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
mazade wrote:Well my um.. 2004 Astro, stock, carrying nothing but it's own weight manages about 14-16mpg.
freaking crap: my '86 Astro, even before the resto-mod, got 18-20.
2004......1986... and it's this much worse? o.0
The difference is that your 1986 was about 1,000 lbs lighter!
Thanks lifted, I knew mine was heavier but not that much...20MPG HWY in my 1990, 15-16 in my 1999
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

CDGsafari98 wrote:Safari Rob sounds liek a good project and one that I would be very interested in. make sure to post it if you do it.
Yep, I'd certainly post it all in the engine section. 'Course, right now I'm still waiting for the machine shop to find the time to continue forward with my current 350 project. Patience is a virtue, I'm told.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

midnighthunder89
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by midnighthunder89 »

all i know is that i would be happy with 16 on the way to school i got a wopping 12.5 mpg for the 500 mile trip.
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Been playing on http://www.GasSavers.org.

Green

Grumpy

Eugene

Really happy that all the household vehicles a averaging above the EPA ratings. Halfway through Green's current tank the info center averages 20.2 MPG with about a 55/45 highway/city split.
25% over the EPA rating. :supz:
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Being in the trucking business, fuel is our only concern right now and will be from now on it appears.
One of the first things the service island checks on one of our truks coming through is tire pressure. A major issue when your running 450 trucks getting 5.5 to 6 MPG.
I've never really checked the difference in MPG per lb of additional air but know it's there to be had. I run my Jimmy higher than normal, won't say how much but it's over 38 lbs.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I've read an article recently where some trucking companies have pulled their trucks' governors back to 62 from 65 and are saving a bunch of money, but only adding a little transit time.

I've been pretty good at making sure my tires are at 35 PSI, but I'm contemplating going higher. Maybe next tank.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I've read an article recently where some trucking companies have pulled their trucks' governors back to 62 from 65 and are saving a bunch of money, but only adding a little transit time.
There's a bill being looked at now which contains a new speed limit of 65 MPH and also gives some fuel price relief to transportation companies only. There was also discussion on adding another $1.00 in taxes to the gas price. The theory there is we in this country are not really acting as if there has been a fuel increase. They say we're still running up and down the interstate highways at 90 MPH, no car pooling to speak of and we're still buying gas hogs and not using mass transit systems like we should. I'll have to agree with part of this mind thought and understand the theory of an additonal tax of a $1.00 per gallon. This would slow some folks down I think and maybe look at alternate modes of transportation versus jumping in our SUV's and hitting the hwy at 90 MPH and would also bring prices down. It just hasn't hit hard yet but hang on,,you ain't seen nothing yet folks. The chips have fallen and the ride is about to take place.
China and India are consuming huge amounts of fuel and other raw material as they become middle class citizens in the world market and if we aren't very carefull the US can be taught a lesson in who controls what in the world real soon. In other words,,we have no leverage any longer. The shoe is about to be on the other foot and we'll be allowing these countries to call all the shots in the not so distant future.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

The same 1994 LT Astro and when I went to Bristle Tn to dolly tow Ole Yellar home I had to tow the dolly empty down there and then back home to Roch.Got 15.9 mpg.Then again to Cinni with a empty dolly and back home with the LT towing.Got 19.9 mpg.Huh??.This is one I will never firgure out. #-o #-o Only difference was a hole in a muffer being bigger.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Strange Gary. All I can tell ya is, if you buy fuel early in the morning when it's cooler it takes less to fill your tank and if your running south or west to a certain point you'll burn less fuel than running north.

VIDEO

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Rebel wrote:
There's a bill being looked at now which contains a new speed limit of 65 MPH and also gives some fuel price relief to transportation companies only. There was also discussion on adding another $1.00 in taxes to the gas price. The theory there is we in this country are not really acting as if there has been a fuel increase. They say we're still running up and down the interstate highways at 90 MPH, no car pooling to speak of and we're still buying gas hogs and not using mass transit systems like we should. I'll have to agree with part of this mind thought and understand the theory of an additonal tax of a $1.00 per gallon. This would slow some folks down I think and maybe look at alternate modes of transportation versus jumping in our SUV's and hitting the hwy at 90 MPH and would also bring prices down. It just hasn't hit hard yet but hang on,,you ain't seen nothing yet folks. The chips have fallen and the ride is about to take place.
China and India are consuming huge amounts of fuel and other raw material as they become middle class citizens in the world market and if we aren't very carefull the US can be taught a lesson in who controls what in the world real soon. In other words,,we have no leverage any longer. The shoe is about to be on the other foot and we'll be allowing these countries to call all the shots in the not so distant future.

Rebel;
There is a section of end users for gas and fuel that I wanted to bring into this thread.It comes from my involvement with some of the RV sites.It is the fultimers that live in there Rv's and move from place to place for work and have done so for many yrs.All their families depend on this type of life style.It's not enough the increase in food costs putting pressure on these families,like alone the increase of gas or fuel pricing.Much more will put all these families out of work and stranded.Some way too old to find other work as well.Larry my heart goes out to them after I have read how bad it is for them out there on some of the RV web sites.They too depend on fair gas and fuel pricing in order to make a living.

BTW:I am not talking about people who work picking on farms.These good folks work at a number of different businesses giving there hard work to fair wages.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

My 2001 AWD gets about 14L/100km highway, sometime I can inch out a bit better, but thats average - which translates to about 16.8 miles ger gallon. So your number sounds about right, I would think a 2WD should get 1 maybe 2 MPG better. :canuk:
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

wagonmaster
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by wagonmaster »

For comparison, my '98 LS gets 16-17 in town and 19-20 on the road, 16-17 mpg on the road towing my Harley and trailer 75-80 mph. HAsn't been tuned in a while. I thought it would pick up some with a K&N cone style air filter and a Jardine CAT back exhaust, but it is about the same in town and may have suffered a tad on the road, no trip yet to verify that... I don't think it is much heavier than my old '85 model, maybe 100-200 at the most.....
Joe

Freedom isn't Free!
My cars/trucks and bikes on http://www.picturetrail.com/wagonmaster55

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Well, I rechecked the MPG numbers on my 305 equipped 89 Astro--it gets 15 MPG on the open highway and 9 MPG around town. The engine certainly isn't running the best anymore; the lifters are really getting noisy. I need to tear into it and see what's going on. Otherwise, it'll be getting parked.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

lol my 98 is only getting 13MPG in the city, a little dissapointing. haven't done any highway in a while so not sure what i get on the highway.
any suggestions to improve this?
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

I added up all the numbers for my stock '98 AWD Astro for last winter. Now I don't remember how much was in town or out but the average for the whole winter was 15.287.. There is a bigger difference in winter/summer mileage on FI engines than carbs because FI doesn't waste fuel all summer to be rich enough to function in the winter so my summer numbers should be higher except I'll be mostly driving the LS1 now.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....