Tire choices w/ 5" lift

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Tire choices w/ 5" lift

Post by BLAZER »

violent b wrote:
what lift kit did you go with? I have a '95 RWD Astro and I think I'm going with the Overlandvans or the Boondox kit. is there any other choices for lift kits?
The Boondocks kit is, I believe, the same kit as Overlands. There was some discussion a while back that boondocks is actually the old owner, Steve, of Overlands, and he gets his kits from Dan and the resells. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems it was the consensus. I built my 5" lift with some of Overland parts, some of my own.
Here's my trimming of the rear fender lip on a 95 RWD with 5" lift & 31's....

Topic author
T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

BLAZER wrote:
violent b wrote:
what lift kit did you go with? I have a '95 RWD Astro and I think I'm going with the Overlandvans or the Boondox kit. is there any other choices for lift kits?
The Boondocks kit is, I believe, the same kit as Overlands. There was some discussion a while back that boondocks is actually the old owner, Steve, of Overlands, and he gets his kits from Dan and the resells. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems it was the consensus. I built my 5" lift with some of Overland parts, some of my own.
Here's my trimming of the rear fender lip on a 95 RWD with 5" lift & 31's....

OH, that kind of trim job! Sorry, my bad.

Hey 9Dawgs, if you're out there, how does your spare tire carrier mount? I've been looking for a swing away because I have dutch door/hatchback then I noticed you have barn door. My door can't possibly be strong enough to mount to, mine must need to be swing away.

Note: I don't want to carrier the spare underneath the van because eventually I want to put a water tank there for an exterior shower. I'm leaving for Mexico in an hour, will be incommunicato for 11 days.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Hey 9Dawgs, if you're out there, how does your spare tire carrier mount? I've been looking for a swing away because I have dutch door/hatchback then I noticed you have barn door. My door can't possibly be strong enough to mount to, mine must need to be swing away.

Note: I don't want to carrier the spare underneath the van because eventually I want to put a water tank there for an exterior shower. I'm leaving for Mexico in an hour, will be incommunicato for 11 days.[/quote]

Great post,I'm in the market for tires also,and plan on the same lift kit as your doing.
I also have dutch doors and want to mount a spare on the back.Have you seen any swing aways that might work? The hinge placement seems the same on barn doors and dutch doors.I thought it might be possible to do something like 9dawgs did.But,even if the dutch door could handle the weight,it would block the liftgate from opening.It would probably open enough to allow you to open the doors,but would be a hassle for accessing the back.
Peace, Bill
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Oops I am chiming in very late one this ... but I run off the Toyo Open Country Tires. They are good all around for sure and can handle the payload at higher speeds :)

As Dean mentioned I to would if I could go wider and bigger. I am running small LT235/75/15 vs the 30"x10.5" ... it sucks where I live even with my current small tires I am hitting stuff hanging or cant fit some under parking lots. But I have rode with 30" (I think 10.5?) Cooper A/Ts my buddy had. We mounted them before going for a camp trip. BOY I liked the ride!

$100 for those wheels is nice! Too bad I am 5-bolt and probably far away from you hehe.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

I have the 235-75-15 size BFG At's and feel the wet weather traction is good. Also the stock 215's and 225's I ran were squirmy and the van seemed to wander a lot. I really like the look and performance so far.

1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Just returned from Mexico this week. Very nice get away.

My lift kit has arrived. My brother in law's hoist is tied up this weekend, and its killing me...he promises next week end.

Here's the only Astro specific tire carrier I've found. They give minimal info, but looks to be a fixed mount, not a swing away. I wonder how much fab would be required (if possible)to make it swing.
yhst-53601346160019_1979_156286307.jpg
yhst-53601346160019_1979_156286307.jpg (3.05 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
http://www.go-fast-parts.com/5701343.html

Still have not bought tires. Need to do that today or monday. Decisions, decisions. If they still have the set of slae priced Kelly Springfields, I'll get them; if they don't, I'll order the Toyo Open Countrys. Yeah, good plan.
ImageImageImageImage

canadavan
I get chills without my van.

Post by canadavan »

T.Low wrote:Just returned from Mexico this week. Very nice get away.

My lift kit has arrived. My brother in law's hoist is tied up this weekend, and its killing me...he promises next week end.

Here's the only Astro specific tire carrier I've found. They give minimal info, but looks to be a fixed mount, not a swing away. I wonder how much fab would be required (if possible)to make it swing.
yhst-53601346160019_1979_156286307.jpg
http://www.go-fast-parts.com/5701343.html

Still have not bought tires. Need to do that today or monday. Decisions, decisions. If they still have the set of slae priced Kelly Springfields, I'll get them; if they don't, I'll order the Toyo Open Countrys. Yeah, good plan.
Actually, that looks like a swing away to me. I think the two open bar ends attach to the hinges.
"Damn, youse funny lookin'..."

Todd
Former owner of the Rocket van - v8 powered 1990 Astro
Tall man, no van

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Actually, that looks like a swing away to me. I think the two open bar ends attach to the hinges.[/quote]

I agree that it must mount to the door hinges, but I can't see how the other side mounts and opens. i hope you're right. Hell, I'm gonna order it and find out. =P~
ImageImageImageImage

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

T.Low wrote:Actually, that looks like a swing away to me. I think the two open bar ends attach to the hinges.

I agree that it must mount to the door hinges, but I can't see how the other side mounts and opens. i hope you're right. Hell, I'm gonna order it and find out. =P~[/quote]

I,ve been curious about that same carrier for awhile.Had one seller tell me no problem for dutch doors,seen another site that specifically said no.Guess,I'll let you be the guinea pig!
Good luck,I'll be watching for your input on this as well as your lift & tire posts! [-o<
Peace,Bill
DHC Rock rails
Fiamma awning

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

snapple wrote:
T.Low wrote:Actually, that looks like a swing away to me. I think the two open bar ends attach to the hinges.

I agree that it must mount to the door hinges, but I can't see how the other side mounts and opens. i hope you're right. Hell, I'm gonna order it and find out. =P~
I,ve been curious about that same carrier for awhile.Had one seller tell me no problem for dutch doors,seen another site that specifically said no.Guess,I'll let you be the guinea pig!
Good luck,I'll be watching for your input on this as well as your lift & tire posts! [-o<
Peace,Bill[/quote]

So you don't know if it swings or not, either?
ImageImageImageImage

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Sorry, not sure if it swings or not.I always assumed it mounted on the hinges somehow,and would just pivot on them when you opened the door.If that makes sense,probably not! #-o
DHC Rock rails
Fiamma awning

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

snapple wrote:Sorry, not sure if it swings or not.I always assumed it mounted on the hinges somehow,and would just pivot on them when you opened the door.If that makes sense,probably not! #-o

Yeah, that makes sense, its kinda what I thought, too. I figure I'll get it and between me, the power of the internet, and all my bros, someone ought to be able to adapt a good swing kit to it. We'll keep ya posted. 9Dawgs is lucky that his van is a 2wheeler or i'd save a lot of money and time just flying out to Florida and stealing his van! :muhaha:
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Received the tire carrier and guess what, it bolts into the door itself. The open ends line up just under the top hinge and above the bottom hinge, and are to be drilled and bolted to...I assume the frame of the door. Same with the single end peice. Hmm. So yeah, it swings alright, WITH the door! May goof around with it this weekend to see how it may fit with my spare on it.

Have a 9am appointment on my brother in laws hoist to install the Overland 5" lift kit tomorrow. Will try to take pics before during and after.

Bought the Kelly Springfield Pathfinders.

My Fiancee took this picture of me and my owner both praying that the kit is accurate and complete and that the job goes smooth (smooth enough, anyway) and that I'm driving a lifted Astro come Monday! (That reminds me, I got to get seat covers cuz I shed on the driver's seat all the time):D
01020601041001030320070719f55425086e42d26e3b009c05.jpg
01020601041001030320070719f55425086e42d26e3b009c05.jpg (8.59 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
ImageImageImageImage

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Cool,sounds like a great weekend ahead for you! \:D/ :supz:
I look forward to all the great pics of your lift and spare tire carrier details! :rock:
Anything in the directions in regards to dutch door models?
Good luck,Bill
DHC Rock rails
Fiamma awning

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

snapple wrote:Cool,sounds like a great weekend ahead for you! \:D/ :supz:
I look forward to all the great pics of your lift and spare tire carrier details! :rock:
Anything in the directions in regards to dutch door models?
Good luck,Bill

Well,we got the usual dilly dally late start, 10am. Its 4:15. We got the front body lift in, the bumper relocated up. The fan showd trimmed, the bumper back on, the shocks installed, the leafs in, the brake lines remounted above the rear axle. Jason (bro in law) is =D> tig welding the shock relocation brackets so I'm on the other side of the garage posting this while he is sparking to his hearts delight. Will take a while to run the shock adjustment remote lines and mount the air pump. .we're getting there. Spare tire carrier may get returned. gotta go. Pics tomorrow.
ImageImageImageImage