New fuel pump - replacement data

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: New fuel pump - replacement data

Post by SafariRob »

blk lt awd wrote:...but if the pump is in the tank itself..........doesn't the filter come after the pump has already seen the fuel?......
Actually, there is a filter of sorts on the pump's inlet--it's a fine mesh screen that keeps the big chunks out of the pump.
I've changed 3 fuel pumps so far. The rustiest vehicle was my 89 Safari--it was terminal with rust, including the exterior of the fuel tank and the top of the fuel pick up assembly. But the interior was in very good shape; I found a tiny amount of water but no rust chunks of any size.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

k120189
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by k120189 »

I've seen a few all in one sending units and i too don't understand why we couldn't just put a piece of tube in place of the internal pump and run external. you would have to cut the power lines to the pump in the sending unit and run them to the external pump and i would still run an in-tank filter...only problem i could see is external pumps don't pull well....if this make sence they push more then pull...i remember a guy on a hot rod project site went the external route...as long is the pump is primed your good to go...just don't ever run out of gas...now this is just a thought...but if u kept the in-tank pump and ran another external pump could this possibly put less strain on the internal pump and extend its life?

--->2000 RWD 4.3L/4L60E ,3.43 gears.exhaust and throttle body mods.
...gone =(...

-->1998 kia sportage 3 inch lift 30 inch tires under repairs

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Since I'm running a carb. with a mechanical pump, I pulled the tank pump and replaced the in tank filter with a piece of tubing. When I first pulled the pump I installed a filter in the tank but after swapping to a smaller S-10 tank I removed the in tank filter to eliminate having to pull tank to swap it out. Replaced the in tank with an inline and one at the carb. As far as running an external electric pump, I still don't understand why you couldn't do this. Now as far as priming, on the cars I've had in the past, there was no problem but you did have to turn the key to start pump a few seconds before cranking motor.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

So from what I have read here, it may be possible to go to an external pump as long as you leave the sending unit in the tank. My question is are there external pumps that will give the pressure that is needed to open the poppets on the FI engines? If so, is anyone willing to try putting in an external pump so we can all see if it works? Right now my pump is working fine, but if it would be possible to go with an external replacement, especially one that would not cost me an arm, leg, and my first born, I would very much want to go that route if my pump goes. Speaking of which, I am due to change the fuel filter. I will need to add that to the list.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Rileysowner wrote:So from what I have read here, it may be possible to go to an external pump as long as you leave the sending unit in the tank. My question is are there external pumps that will give the pressure that is needed to open the poppets on the FI engines? If so, is anyone willing to try putting in an external pump so we can all see if it works? Right now my pump is working fine, but if it would be possible to go with an external replacement, especially one that would not cost me an arm, leg, and my first born, I would very much want to go that route if my pump goes. Speaking of which, I am due to change the fuel filter. I will need to add that to the list.
exactly the question: Who's going to do it and let us know? Top of the line pump at JEGS and Summit are about $150 with tons of pressure, a regulator would be needed in fact.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

k120189

Post by k120189 »

well if someone wants to pay...i'll be the test dummy lol.....in fact in about 3 weeks the van is getting the tranny rebuilt so it would be the perfect time

...gone =(...

Clamster
I am merely driving my van

Post by Clamster »

I think it would work by just dropping a line in the tank and using a remote mounted electric fuel pump. Still filtering the fuel midway as the stock set up. You'd have to keep the old sending apparatus for the guage to work. Remembering my 62 chevy nova that I transplanted a 396 into, it had a Holley 850 double pumper carb [2 fuel bowls] I ran a firewall mounted electric fuel pump and never had a problem with starvation etc. They didn't heat up either. When you first turned the key to on, you'd hear it run for approx 20 to 30 seconds to pump up. After you started the engine it pumped only in spurts to maintain the line pressure. If you turned the key on but did not start the engine the pump would pump up the line pressure and stop [deadhead] there were no return lines to the tank or any of that c--p. Later in life I drove mid 70's Buick Skyhawk and Oldsmobile Starfire cars that had GM v6s' that had in tank electric fuel pumps. I always wondered why the block still had a place for the mechanical pump. I got a funny feeling [don't know the specs on our pumps] that maybe these units today are under rated, to small and run to much, requiring them to be immersed for the cooling aspect. Do our vans have inertia switches like Ford to shut off the pump if jarred in an accident or roll over? I helped a buddy put an electric fuel pump on his 87 Ford F250 351 fuel injected truck. Ya think we got it bad-Fords "Better Idea" here is a tank mounted electric pump that feeds another electric fuel pump located on the frame under the drivers side which is called the high pressure pump. He replaced the external frame mounted one at a cost of $100 bucks. There is something fishy with these Detroit setups. Planned obsolescense? Or safety?
90 Astro CL Work Buggy

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Later in life I drove mid 70's Buick Skyhawk and Oldsmobile Starfire cars

What year Starfire did you have ? Always liked the 62's
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

One point to ponder about an external pump is noise. As annoying as the in tank pumps sometimes are, I wonder about an outside one.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

HPbyStan wrote:One point to ponder about an external pump is noise. As annoying as the in tank pumps sometimes are, I wonder about an outside one.
I converted my 6 cylinder, 1963 ford falcon mechanical pump to an external electric pump and don't hear it at all.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

LaGrasta wrote:
HPbyStan wrote:One point to ponder about an external pump is noise. As annoying as the in tank pumps sometimes are, I wonder about an outside one.
I converted my 6 cylinder, 1963 ford falcon mechanical pump to an external electric pump and don't hear it at all.
Cool, good to know..
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

k120189

Post by k120189 »

well after looking on summit....i have come to the conclusion the if my pump dies before this is tested i shall test it first!

...gone =(...

Clamster

Post by Clamster »

These cars were a blast to drive. Both my Skyhawk and Starfire were automatics though. With the 231 v6 they got excellent mileage, drove good in snow. The k bodys were unibody, so when the doors rusted out [rockers] you'd pull into a parking lot with a slight incline and the body would tweak and a door would fly open. I drove em as work cars and paid $600 a piece in very good shape. Rebel-I am sure your thinking of the 1962 Starfire, they were boxy but very cool, wish I had one now.
Attachments
400_starfire_ad.jpg
78 skyhawk.jpg
78 skyhawk.jpg (9.54 KiB) Viewed 3442 times
90 Astro CL Work Buggy

k120189

Post by k120189 »

so who will be the first?....peter....u have lots of cash.....wanna fund the experiment for my van lol

...gone =(...

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Finally pushed Green into the garage yesterday. Fuel pressure gauge shows the pump only able to give 32 PSI with ignition on. Hope to have the tank dropped tonight.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86