driver window won't go up!!!

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: driver window won't go up!!!

Post by Rileysowner »

Yup, it is good you got it closed last night as it is pouring rain today. My week is starting to look even busier as the oldest person in the church I serve in is getting close to dying and I may have a funeral to do on top of Good Friday and Easter. I will see what comes.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

crash wrote:well i didn't try the window again yet. good thing we got it back up last night though, over night we got some freezing rain.. that would have been a mess with the window down. took the jeep to work instead this am.

as for meeting up.. it might have to be when the weather is a bit nicer otherwise my boss won't let me pull his 56 chev outside for the day.. lol
LOL. I would feel bad bad displacing a 56 chevy for a window motor replacement no matter what the weather!
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Sorry is the window still not working right?
Check wires and also what is going through the door jam. For me it has always been the motors. Cheap to replace ... about 45 minutes pending on hand size LOL.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Mine is still not working right, but then it hasn't been working right for a long time :) I haven't had the time to fix it yet, not to mention not wanting to pay the price they want for a motor where I live, I am looking online but so far everyone wants to (insists on) shipping UPS, and I refuse to pay the UPS customs' brokerage fee which would probably be more than the item and shipping cost combined.

I will get it fixed some day, but probably not in the next week or so.
Jim

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

mine still isn't working properly either. it goes nearly 1/2 way down then just as it starts to slow down there is a small clunk and it pauses then continues down. i still haven't dared to lower it all the way incase it gets stuck down again.

on the way back up same deal, very slow, then a clunk, then normal speed on the way back up. i'm almost positive it's not the motor that's dying... maybe just the small gear not aligning correctly with the large gear. until it's warmer out i'm just being careful.

Jim.. I can do a new dorman motor for $55.62 tax in for you, if you so desire.

Rob
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

crash wrote:mine still isn't working properly either. it goes nearly 1/2 way down then just as it starts to slow down there is a small clunk and it pauses then continues down. i still haven't dared to lower it all the way incase it gets stuck down again.

on the way back up same deal, very slow, then a clunk, then normal speed on the way back up. i'm almost positive it's not the motor that's dying... maybe just the small gear not aligning correctly with the large gear. until it's warmer out i'm just being careful.

Jim.. I can do a new dorman motor for $55.62 tax in for you, if you so desire.

Rob
Rob check that the window guide is still in place. It's the u shaped strip of metal that runs down the latch side of the door on the inside of the door. Mine Broke off in my 93 ( yes the tiny tack welds just gave) and after that it would stick about half way for a sec but If I kept it going it would eventually go down and would stick half way going up and eventually go all the way up if I held the button down.

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

thanks.. i'll check that next time i have time to rip off the door panel again
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

crash wrote:thanks.. i'll check that next time i have time to rip off the door panel again

*Cough* 45 minutes tops ... do it! Spring and Summer around the corner!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

2002Safari
I am smitten with my van

Post by 2002Safari »

Does anyone know if there is a "thermal" overload shutoff on these power windows? Mine makes no odd sounds when it goes down. It starts back up for a short trip then stops - it won't go either direction with only a click of the solenoid but no motor movement. Then a couple minutes later it will make another short rise or drop in the window.

I'm almost wondering if there is some thermal shutoff that resets.

I haven't checked the solidity of the tracks to see if something has caused the window to bind but I don't believe so as the window goes down with no problem. I haven't left the window in down position for say an hour before rolling it back up to see if cooling it down for a fairly long period of time would allow for a continuous up trip.

Anyone have any ideas?
2002 Safari SLT

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

I dont think there is one? Hopefully the gurus will answer your question. But logically it doesnt make sense to have a thermal shut off for the power windows ... nor would it make sense to the bean counters and production line. What yours does sound like is a loose connector/wire or bad ground. Happened to me before were grease was on the loose wire and I would bang the door to make it connect to get the window up. Ultimately I fixed it but than a few months later the motor fried :)

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

As far as I know there is a thermal cut off. I'm sure someone will clear up whether there is or isn't one.
Jim

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Rileysowner wrote:As far as I know there is a thermal cut off. I'm sure someone will clear up whether there is or isn't one.
Yup there is. Actually Jim I'm almost convinced it's the problem with your window!

I can't remember where it is but there is a write up on bypassing and repairing the thermal cut off.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Wowerz!? Really!? Crazy nutz - what else can you use this thermal sensor for? heheh. >.< Shows how much I know about the darn window. Good thing my adventures thus far did not involve a thermal sensor yet.

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

If you can find that write up, I would be very appreciative. I did a search of the archived version of AS.com but could not find anything.
Jim

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

phr1$k37 wrote:
Wowerz!? Really!? Crazy nutz - what else can you use this thermal sensor for? heheh. >.< Shows how much I know about the darn window. Good thing my adventures thus far did not involve a thermal sensor yet.
I can tell ya it's physically located in that bump on the motor casing but I can't remember the circuitry for it.