Torquer 350 TBI build for Ole Yellar

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: More details for my 350 vortec please!!.

Post by GEJ »

Chris,
To be honest about the pictures,they where sent to me and I posted them.Before I start the project I will have resolved that camera problem.The wallet is still steaming from the tow back-LOL.

Rocky,
We have I.D.'ed the block as a 1996 roller from the engines numbers on the back of the block by the bell housing.The question is weither or not the top haft is a 1996 vortex heads.I will pull one valve cover to solve that hopefully this Sunday.Too bad that I have to waste a set of valve cover gaskets to find what I have.The engine numbers say it is a crate 1996 vortec one pc seal,roller.But never the less I do need to get a handle on what I have.

The one thing I need to ask you folks is will a 1995 tbi manifold bolt up to 1996 heads???.Seems that is what happened here.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

You should have the neoprene valve cover gaskets on your new 350. You can reuse them over and over. They work great!

You have to use a vortec tbi manifold for vortec style heads. You could check the casting number on your intake manifold and google it to see which one you have. That should help tell you what heads are on your new engine.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Rockwerx wrote:You should have the neoprene valve cover gaskets on your new 350. You can reuse them over and over. They work great!

You have to use a vortec tbi manifold for vortec style heads. You could check the casting number on your intake manifold and google it to see which one you have. That should help tell you what heads are on your new engine.
Thanks for getting back to me Rocky.I will do both,the intake numbers and pull the valve covers.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

I continue to research what I bought and found the following:

Rev. 09/29/95
1996 C/K Pickup - Engines (L31)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

c V8 Engine (L31)
The new Vortec 5700 V8 L31 truck engine gives Chevy truck owners more of what they want: more horse-power and torque, and longer intervals between recommended service than previous engines.
GM Powertrain engineers adopted a "no trade-offs" approach to updating the classic small block V8 engine design. They redesigned the 5.7 Liter small block V8 truck engine with four goals in mind:

Improved performance
Increased pleasability
Reduced maintenance
Reduced emissions.
Their objective was to improve smoothness and performance without sacrificing reliability, giving Chevy truck owners "the best of both worlds." And they succeeded.
"The challenge was to deliver in all areas -- not one or two at the expense of the others," said Volker Harhaus, GM Powertrain's Chief Engineer for Truck Engine Controls. The new Vortec 5700 V8 offers 25 percent more horsepower than its predecessor, delivering a performance improvement when towing or passing that Chevy truck buyers can really feel. Compare the increased power and torque available in the new standard engine to last year's models (C/K Pickup under 8600 lbs. GVWR):

Horsepower Torque (lb.-ft)
1995 5.7 Liter 200 @ 4000 rpm 310 @ 2400 rpm
1996 5700 255 @ 4600 rpm 330 @ 2800 rpm
Change +55 +20

Noise reduction was a high priority to increase customer satisfaction. Several refinements reduce noise and vibration:

A redesigned accessory drive system uses stiffer mounts and a single serpentine belt on all models.
A composite front cover, remote-mounted composite air cleaner and tangentially mounted air conditioning compressor reduce airborne noise.
The new Vortec 5700 V8 engine relies on advanced technology to achieve a high level of performance:
Sequential Fuel Injection (SFI) is available for the first time on a V8 engine. This GM-patented system provides the benefits of precise fuel delivery to each cylinder without the cost and complexity of conventional Multi-Port Fuel Injection.

The centerpiece of the SFI system is a single disk injector that is connected to eight individual poppet valves with flexible lines. The central injector controls the flow of pressurized fuel to the poppet valve nozzle in each intake runner.

The sophisticated yet simple SFI system delivers significant benefits to Chevrolet customers:

Fuel delivery is precisely controlled for optimal cylinder-to-cylinder distribution, producing a smooth idle, increased horsepower and torque and lower emissions.
The reduced thermal mass of the poppet valves (compared to conventional solenoid injectors) provides near-instantaneous hot-starts.
The poppet nozzles' design and optimum locationproduce an effective spray pattern that contributes to the engine's smooth idle and outstanding fuel efficiency.
The SFI's modular design simplifies service; its central injector can be replaced as a single unit.
A mass airflow meter constantly measures the engine's air requirements under varying operating conditions, such as changes in load, altitude and temperature. By providing accurate information on the engine's air intake to the Vehicle Control Module (VCM), the mass airflow meter contributes to the small block's efficiency and performance.
Straight-port cylinder heads with revised combustion chambers improve airflow and raise the compression ratio to 9.4:1 (from 9.1:1 for 1995). This boost in compression ratio improves thermal efficiency and performance, but does not increase the engine's octane requirement.

The secret of the more powerful Vortec 5700 V8 is the new two-piece intake manifold design for optimum engine breathing. The distinctive black-and-silver manifold assembly consists of an aluminum lower half and a composite upper half. The composite upper manifold reduces mass and noise, acts as a thermal insulator and tunes the induction system for optimal airflow. The Vortec V8 is the first application of a composite upper intake manifold on a truck engine.

Roller lifters reduce internal engine friction and wear. An aggressive new hydraulic roller camshaft profile works with the revised cylinder heads to improve engine power. A steel camshaft replaces the previous cast-iron cam to withstand the higher contact stresses associated with roller lifters and give longer life.

The switch to a steel cam and roller lifters gave GM engineers the freedom to design fast-action cam lobes. The area under the valve curve was increased to augment power, yet a good idle quality was maintained. It's a win-win situation: more power, a stable idle, low hydrocarbon emissions and exceptional fuel economy.

The Vortec V8's roller lifter camshaft improves low-end torque for towing and trailering, while also extending the engine's dynamic operating range for faster acceleration and quicker passing.

The Vortec V8's cooling system has been improved for 1996. A controlled bypass thermostat improves bank-to-bank coolant flow balance, expedites warmup, enhances heater performance, and improves cooling by directing all coolant flow through the radiator when the engine is at operating temperature.

A crankshaft position sensor signals the Vehicle Control Module (VCM) to ensure accurate fuel delivery and spark timing for each cylinder. The crankshaft position sensor also aids in the detection of misfires and ensures that the engine is running at peak efficiency.

"Our goal for the '96 truck program was to make the powertrains maintenance free," said Volker Harhaus, Chief Engineer of Truck Engine Controls for the GM Powertrain Group. "And you can see from our new service intervals, we're getting close to achieving that goal."

Extended maintenance schedules help make Chevy trucks more environment-friendly. Fewer parts to change and longer intervals between scheduled services mean less waste is generated.

The Vortec 5700 V8 is equipped with an enhanced exhaust system.

A new Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) take-off point evenly distributes EGR between cylinders, improving driveability.
A new high-temperature silicon-molybdenum alloy improves the durability of the exhaust manifolds.
An electronically controlled linear EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is designed to improve emissions performance.
This advanced EGR valve offers much finer flow control than a conventional vacuum-operated valve, regardless of manifold pressure or engine load.
On-Board Diagnostics reach a new level of sophistication with the implementation of OBD II (On-Board Diagnostics Second Generation). A more powerful Vehicle Control Module (VCM) monitors the emissions system and its components to detect deterioration or malfunction.

The powerful VCM stores and retrieves diagnostic messages to help technicians diagnose and fix problems quickly and accurately.
The VCM alerts the driver by illuminating the ÒService Engine SoonÓ light when it detects a deterioration in the performance of any of the monitored systems.
Unlike first-generation systems that signaled only system failures, OBD II alerts the driver to have the vehicle serviced before experiencing a possible break-down or incurring more expensive repairs.
Vortec 5700 V8s have new Revised Permanent Mold (RPM) pistons designed using sophisti-cated GM computer programs. Precision machining simplifies the manufacturing process by allowing a single piston size to be used in all engines.
The enhanced Vortec V8s are examples of the Chevrolet commitment to continuous improvement of its products. The application of advanced technology and innovative ideas has made the proven small block V8 a standout performer in the highly competitive truck market. With more power and quieter operation, the new Vortec V8s will add to the small block's longstanding reputation for excellence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The thing I didn't get was the SFI system.I am pretty sure I will not be happy with 255 hp and 330lbs of torque.I am sure I got a good building block with this engine given the 9.4 compression.

I had my heart set on a 383 cam swap that has the following spec's:
GM PART # 14097395
CATEGORY: Engine Camshaft
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $200.00
OUR PRICE: $145.60

DESCRIPTION: CAMSHAFT
Hydraulic Roller Design
This hydraulic roller design is used on the 383 truck. The duration at lash point in degrees (intake/exhaust) is 288/308; duration at .050" tappet lift (intake/exhaust) is 196/206; and maximum lift with 1.5:1 rocker ratio (intake/exhaust) is 431/451. Valve lash is zero/zero and lobe centerline is 109 degrees.

What I haven't found yet is the cam spec's for the ZZ4 cam that came with this create engine so I can make a informed decision.There is no way I want to a cam change after I have swapped the engine into my project van.For now I am just dealing with this cam question knowing different heads and EFI system will have to be looked at as well.

So if anyone knows a link for me to find at cam spec for the ZZ4 cam is,plse post it.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Gooled the ZZ4 cam and found these cam spec's:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM PART # 10185071
CATEGORY: Engine Camshaft
GM LIST: $272.86
OUR PRICE: $198.64

DESCRIPTION: CAMSHAFT
Hydraulic Roller TappetThis hydraulic roller tappet is used on the 5.7-liter H.O. 350 ZZ3 & 4 engines. The duration at lash point in degrees (intake/exhaust) is 275/280; duration at .050" tappet lift (intake/exhaust) is 208/221; and maximum lift with 1.5:1 rocker ratio (intake/exhaust) is 474/501. Valve lash is zero/zero and lobe centerline is 112 degrees.

Hummmmm,
Seems the ZZ4 cam has more duration and more lift.But the lobe center is wider meaning it come on later in the rpm range which is not what I want.

Comments anyone????.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

dean89
I get chills without my van.

Post by dean89 »

I thought vortec heads had all of the intake manifold bolts oriented straight up and down. The tbi vintage heads have the four center bolts vertical and the rest canted, and the older heads all of the bolts were canted.
ImageImageImage
1989 Astro, 3" DJM drop, 5.7 tbi
1991 Chevrolet C1500 4.3 tbi 5spd 4-6" DJM drop (brother's truck)
1983 Chevrolet K20 350/4spd, 3.5" lift w/35's

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

dean89 wrote:I thought vortec heads had all of the intake manifold bolts oriented straight up and down. The tbi vintage heads have the four center bolts vertical and the rest canted, and the older heads all of the bolts were canted.

Dean,
The block is no doubt a 1996 vortec crate.(engine numbers of 10243880)I hope to pull a valve cover tomorrow to clear up my confusion about the heads with casting numbers from them.
For now I am focusing on a starting point of the cam and which one.If it turns out that it isn't vortec heads for some reason,the next question will be if I use the standard vortec's or the larger port ones.Costs are about $250 each for the standard ones and about $525 each for the larger port ones.

Thanks for the post,

Gar
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

GM Vortec heads have only eight intake manifold mounting holes. Someone could have machined the heads to accept a 12 bolt TBI manifold but that is doubtful.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

lockdoc wrote:GM Vortec heads have only eight intake manifold mounting holes. Someone could have machined the heads to accept a 12 bolt TBI manifold but that is doubtful.
Lockdoc,
Yep-12 bolts.Kind of a moog point now to get the casting numbers off the heads that are on there now. ](*,) Well atleast it is a roller.

If it where you guys which head would you choose to replace the current ones???.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM PART # 12558060
CATEGORY: Engine Cylinder Head
GM LIST: $391.43
OUR PRICE: $284.96

DESCRIPTION: Vortec iron cylinder head asm complete
This production Vortec iron cylinder head was first used on the 1996 pickup truck RPO L31 with fuel injection. The intake and exhaust port are very similar to the Corvette 350 LT1 heads. This head includes 1.94" intake valves and 1.50" exhaust valves, with pressed-in 3/8" studs. This head with compatible valves flows more air than bow tie head P/N 10134392, but the casting may not be as durable. The water passages are the same as the original 1955 small block design. The eight-bolt intake bolt pattern is totally different than the early model V8 12-bolt design. Use new manifold P/N 12366573, 12496820, 12496822. Technical Notes: The valves seats in these heads can be machined to 2.02" intake and 1.60" exhaust. The rocker arm studs can be pinned or drilled and tapped 3/8". (Casting P/N 10239906 or 12558062.)

------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------
Or theses:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
GM PART # 25534431 *
CATEGORY: Engine Cylinder Head
GM LIST: $687.00
OUR PRICE: $500.14

DESCRIPTION: HEAD
Large port Vortec bowtie head assembly
Completely assembled, ready to bolt-on

215 cc intake port

84 cc exhaust port

Ises Fel-pro #1470 exhaust gasket, may require minor trimming

Bear head P/N 255334371 avaialable separately

Assembled using these part numbers:

25534407 intake valves

25534408 exhaust vavles

12551483 valve springs

12552126 3/8" rocker studs

10212808 valve spring retainers

10212810 valve stem seals

12564852 valve locks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The combo of heads,cam,intake,exhaust are keys to the best power output as you folks know.Kind of the reason for the questions now.

Another route might be to use the TBI heads and buy a EFI Edelbrock injection system for a pre 1995 350 which is cheaper and has been used by SoCalli V8 with great results with the ZZ4 cam.

Yeah,got some thinking to do now. :-k :-k
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Rockwerx

Post by Rockwerx »

I have run many different combinations of cams and different Vortec style heads. If you are planing on towing I would not run the ZZ4 cam. It is not a low rpm torque cam. I would run the stock Vortec heads if you want good low end torque. The larger intake runners of the high performance heads do not perform as well making low end torque. The larger valves and larger intake and exhaust ports are better suited to higher rpm power and torque figures. I would still run it the way it is for a tank of fuel or two to see how it performs towing.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Rockwerx wrote:I have run many different combinations of cams and different Vortec style heads. If you are planing on towing I would not run the ZZ4 cam. It is not a low rpm torque cam. I would run the stock Vortec heads if you want good low end torque. The larger intake runners of the high performance heads do not perform as well making low end torque. The larger valves and larger intake and exhaust ports are better suited to higher rpm power and torque figures. I would still run it the way it is for a tank of fuel or two to see how it performs towing.
I agree Rocky.We are going to start to rebuild the tranny in the donor van next week and I am going to plate it and drive it for acouple of wks.One trip is two hrs away to Liftedawdastro's house and that should give me a pretty good idea where I am at with this.Also it will give me a seat of the pants feel for any differences after any mods I do while out for the swap to Ole Yellar.My race partner and I traded emails about the cam choice.I think during the swap I will swap to the 383 cam solely because of the lobe centers being 109.Currently it has the ZZ4 cam with as I said,112 lobe centers,given the block numbers.If I do a head swap at all,it would be for the smaller vortec's to keep up the volumn for towing torque and alittle better gas mileage. But then it involves a intake swap too and the one from Edelbrock is very expensive for vortec's.The 12 bolt intakes from Edelbrock are only a grand for the non votrec heads.I am kind of hung-up on that because of what Calli V8 said about the results he has gotten.

Thanks for the post,

I got some time to kick around ideas before the engine swap and I am totally open to suggestions.

Gar
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

You could always hire Jeff to work on your computer. #-o
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Rockwerx

Post by Rockwerx »

Are you sure that you have a ZZ4 roller cam in that engine? Did you go off of the casting number or the serial number? They used that same block casting number for many different applications. I would check before I did much more speculation. It sounds like you have the same engine Locdoc used for his first swap.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Rockwerx wrote:Are you sure that you have a ZZ4 roller cam in that engine? Did you go off of the casting number or the serial number? They used that same block casting number for many different applications. I would check before I did much more speculation. It sounds like you have the same engine Locdoc used for his first swap.

Yes-that is what mortec lists as having based on the casting numbers.I have looked at it a number of times.The number is 10243880.What made me think it was a vortec is it also has a 96 date code.I know it is a 4 bolt main because Casey had the pan off to reseal it before he put in the engine in the van and told me that.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Rockwerx

Post by Rockwerx »

I have seen many different cams in engines with this casting number 10243880. For instance the first one I had was from a 1996 Tahoe. It had the Vortec roller cam. That cam works well if you are towing. It runs smooth at idle. The ZZ4 cam runs a bit more rough at idle. I have also seen this casting with a few different flat tappet cams in it.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel