Brake Lines

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: Brake Lines

Post by Rebel »

To much prefab stuff out there today. I agree with Peter and if ya haven't flared any tubing before, go by Autozone, pick up the tools and learn how if you don't already know.
Use a tubing cutter to cut and ream inside before flaring. The few times I've made up any lines, after making flare I blow some air through the line and also starter fluid to clean out any particles that may have gotten inside tubing.

Good luck and rock and roll. Good Sat. project. :bounce:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
ScottS
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by ScottS »

Gonna start replumbing tonight. :bounce:
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Rebel wrote: I agree with Peter ...The few times I've made up any lines, after making flare I blow some air through the line.....
I've got images of ole Larry hunkered down on his knees, plumber's crack showing above his baggy jeans, blowing into a set of brake lines with all his might. And for some completely unexplainable reason, I'm somehow.....aroused 8-[
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Jim. Just turn it slowly. The number one killer of double flairs is a not clean edge to start with. Make sure the edge is square and then ream out the inside a touch. If it's smooth and you turn it nice and slow you'll be fine. I do it all time and I still screw one up here and there it's inevitable.

I would also recommend getting a foot or 2 of line and sit there while watching tv and practice it's not at all hard just takes some patience and care.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I will have to get some practice. I have enough brakeline pieces lying around, so off to princess auto to get a flaring tool again.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Topic author
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

OK

So here is what came off the van

It was just falling apart in my hands #-o

CRappy ol'e brake hose

Ugly lines

THis is the new SS hose

it's nice to have a place to work- lots of tools and heavy equipmen- my safety yellow Corvair fit right in

New Cunifer line ( copper-nickel-iron, used on military ships for hydraulic lines in saltwater)

One rear line was usable as a pattern

My helper, Ronnie JR, son of the shop owner

Cunifer bends by hand and doesn't collapse

I used this PE tube where the lines clamp to the axle to protect it from chafing

In the flaring tool (don't forget the fittings )

On the axle

A flare

NOw tomorow I get to run the 3/16 lines from the rear hose to the front , should not be too difficult
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

:supz: :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

ScottS wrote: I have a roll of 1/4 Cunifer (http://www.fedhill.com) to redo it ,
Are you sure thats the correct link,lol

BTW, nice job :supz: I like the fact you can bend by hand without being overly worried about crimping them.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Here's where I found the website after a google search: http://store.fedhillusa.com/

Scott, great work you've done there. I rate brake work right along with exhaust plumbing as a downright nasty job, but this different type of brake tubing--easy to bend and never any rust-- has really piqued my curiosity. Thanks for the info; my 82 Olds needs its brake lines looked into and I can see that it'll be cunifer lines for it.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

d3athm3talh3ad

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

I just buy pre-made lengths of brake tubing now and bend 'em up myself. I get creative with the excessive lengths so the lines will fit.
i usually buy an extra foot or so of anything when i'm fabricating, i'm picturing a foot of coiled up tubing under the van...'honest officer, it's not a whiskey still!!'

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

d3athm3talh3ad wrote:
I just buy pre-made lengths of brake tubing now and bend 'em up myself. I get creative with the excessive lengths so the lines will fit.
i usually buy an extra foot or so of anything when i'm fabricating, i'm picturing a foot of coiled up tubing under the van...'honest officer, it's not a whiskey still!!'

:muhaha:

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Now, that's a creative use of excess tubing length, Potskie. It's there to cool the brake fluid, right?
Yep, I knew I was right! :bounce:
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I failed miserably at it and the same happened with each attempt at making another flair.
As I was 18 years old at the time, I think I was traumatized for life by the experience
Now that's funny Rob.

Petey, the next time I blow a line we'll see if we can't get a vid and post. You know,,,something to watch late at night in the far north ?

You know I was talking about air from the comp. right and then brake cleaner ? Guess that imagination ran wild again. :supz:

By the way,,never heard of this line but sounds like it's very easy to fab and no future rust. :supz:

Am curious what the % is of each of the metals that make up the line ? You mentioend the use on ships and military vehicles. Is this used for brake lines on military vehicles and long runs for HF ? The reason I ask about the long runs of this line is the copper content. If it has a high copper content and not ment for long runs like our brake system, you may find you'll have a soft pedal due to line expansion when under high pressure of brake application. Just a thought that crossed my mind. I bought a semi complete Model A coupe years ago which at some point someone had used copper for the brake lines and you could actually see the lines expand when the brakes were applied. Not a good thing.
I hope this line will work ok because I need to redo my lines to the rear and it looks like the thing to work with.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Your Link http://store.fedhillusa.com looks like "Trick Shit" Maynerd. I "bookmarked" that baby tks !!
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

SafariRob wrote:Now, that's a creative use of excess tubing length, Potskie. It's there to cool the brake fluid, right?
Yep, I knew I was right! :bounce:
Nah it was just easier to leave the roll there and pull some as I needed it since I was doing the ABS module to rear axle line replacement. Neat line tho all I could find for 1/4 in stock that day was some polymer coated steel line.