What motor oil can be used in Astro van?

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: What motor oil can be used in Astro van?

Post by GEJ »

Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

i use Mobil 1 10w40 and an AC delco filter and the van has 297 000 kms.
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

I have been a Penzoil user for over 20yrs.10w30 in the winter and 10w40 in the summer.I was a Fram oil filter user for about the same amount of time until I read a link here awhile back where the review was really bad about them.I changed to WEX filters and saw a noticeable difference in oil pressure.I do feel there are a much better filter.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

I use vegitable oil in the van I find that the nice light oil really help reduce the internal friction in the engine thus giving way better throttle response and better mileage. :muhaha:

Honestly I have been running either 10w30 or 10w40. Synthetic oil will not harm your engine from being thinner provided you buy the same weight oil. The synthetic oil is better because it lasts longer and can handle more heat and higher pressures before it starts to break down.

I have been running synthetic oil in my 2stroke dirt bike since 92 with the oil mixed at 100:1. In my street bike I run Royal purple full synthetic 20w50 and have been very happy with it.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

LMAO, now that was funny!
I've run 10W30, when it was new, and later 10W40, and now 20W50 in my jeep, with fram filters most of the way, (till I read that dang internet page Gary wrote about) over 180,000 miles on it now. No signs of the engine giving up. Granted, the I6 engines in the jeeps were work horses. Chrysler had a brain fart and decided they were lasting too long, so they discontinued them. Frankly, I'd like to have one in my 'stro along with the AW4 transmission that came with it. About 220HP and a trans that shifts seamlessly. Hmmm, might have to take some measurements....
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....