door pins & bushings

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: door pins & bushings

Post by Rileysowner »

I still have to do the pins on both my front doors. At this point I am having to hammer the pins back in every week or so as they keep slowly sliding out.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I may be wrong but I believe when I replaced mine I put both in from the top. Of course I could be wrong,,has happened many times. :muhaha: I'll wait on Peter to correct me if it's so. :prayer:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

Hmm. My door started sticking on the striker this week and after a quick check indeed the bushings are pretty worn. I was going to take it to a bodyshop and have them do it but the 2x4 trick looks like it just might work to support the door. Otherwise I was thinking of parking the van right next to the dock at work and using the forklift with the fork extensions hanging off the dock to support the door but this may work better.

My fear is if you need to remove both pins and take the door off what keeps the door from sliding backwards and forwards in the straps ?? The door should be bottom heavy.... but if it slips either way it could chip the paint all to hell or even worse slip out of the straps and fall to the ground ripping out the wiring with it.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

my driver's side is on the to do list. Somebody made a good post here on the site on this. Made mental note to search for it when I get around to it. Other threads I've seen on the web involved using rope slings over the top of the vehicle with a 2x4, tied to the top of the door and counter weighted. as for me, I have a 6'-2" 17 year old son that can stand in for that.
I figure some card board under the door bottom, a jack, and a moderate amount of cussing at my boy should get the job done :muhaha:
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Originally only my driver's side was on the to do, but now the top pin is slowly falling out of both sides (actually not so slowly on the passenger side) so I need to get the done sometime soon. I gotta see what sort of 2x4s I have kicking around.
Jim

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

sounds like we should have a "door pin" party.

I will get a 24 Keiths and a Bacon 'n Tomato XL Pizza. Someone else needs to brings the pins and the knowhow.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

by the second or third door we should have it down pat. lest we imbibe too much... :drinkers:
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

So do people all have their pins in from the bottom, or do some have them in from the top. The passenger side door hangs properly, but the pin keeps falling out. If I could switch it to being inserted from the top, then I would only have to switch it around. Right now both of the top pins are inserted from the bottom.

The driver's side is a different story. That door is hanging up on the striker a little bit and needs new bushing put in. But if I could get the passenger side fixed by only switching the pin around, that would be a great benefit.
Jim

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

still have original pins, seems to me the top pin is in from the top, and the bottom pin is in from the bottom.
makes no particular sense to me.

name's Steve

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

The easy fix for your pins falling out is to drill a small hole in the end of the pin and after you insert it into the hinge put a small cotter pin in the hole. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Actually, I would find putting the pin in from the top the easier fix. Then in cannot fall out :) No drilling, no fuss. I just don't know if it is possible.
Jim

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

or in a pinch a small finishing nail.
should be able to get a replacement c clip for it. might cost all of .69 cents.

name's Steve

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

"Kings" is correct. One pin will only go in from the bottom. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Smiliesafari wrote:The easy fix for your pins falling out is to drill a small hole in the end of the pin and after you insert it into the hinge put a small cotter pin in the hole. \:D/
I replaced the passenger's side pin a while back, and plan on trying this with the driver's side as I can drill the old pin from the passenger's side and use it. I figured drilling it on the drill press would be easiest.
Jim

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i had my mechani c do both side since they had rusted out (wasn't my left holding the doors on lol) man he complained about putting the springs back in glad it wasn't me lol
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone