Ole Yellars's picture post-a starting point

Post photos, video of your van

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: Ole Yellars's picture post-a starting point

Post by Rebel »

Maybe I can answer a couple of your questions.

When you asked about a nibbler,,did you mean the tool to make a flange by chance ? If not,,and you're asking about using a nibbler to cut the window panels to size you'll find the nibbler will distort your sheet metal pretty bad. I would advise using an airsaw which you can get in an electric model.
As far has putting a flange on the panel before installing, I think you'll find you'll distort your panel due to the having to go completely around the piece with a flange.
I haven't spent alot of time cheking out the conversion to make a cargo but it seems after you pull the glass and rubber around opening you'll find exactly where your panel should be installed. As far as the curve. I would think the curve of the rear doors and side window would take care of what you need when the panel is installed. In other words where your placing the panels is curved already and when tacking panel in it will take on the curve of body on the side and also natural curve of rear door. If it were me and I didn't have those J/Y panels I'd put a slight curve in my flat sheet metal before I made final trim before install.
Good luck and will be watching. Very curious as to what you run in to.
I did see a cargo on Ebay the other day,,not sure if Astro or Safari but I believe it was a window van converted. May want to check out owner and ask a few questions. I do remember that it was white.
Good luck Gary and as Peter tells me " Get er dun"
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

The nibler I was talking about is for cuting out the pannels.That is good info about them.The only one I have ever owned was a hand unit unpowered.The two pannels I need to build is for the side windows only.I am buying no window rear doors replacements.The window frames will work out providing I shim the fillers to equal the thickness of the glass I guess.I might chuck the j/y pannels for 16 gage as you said.Just add the costs to bad choices list. ](*,) ](*,) Man if I only had a English wheel.Look like I need to get some construction paper and make a template for the cutouts first.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Well another step towards Ole Yellar's 350 swap.

The donor is going to the crusher.

Going to have to get better pics of the sub/engine/tranny,but here is what I have today anyways.Sorry-they are dark.

Friday I will try to take trailer to pick-up the stuff and I am going to take the engine to Drakes to have it cleaned,checked,and resealed.

Still looking for a place to rent to finsh this project myself.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.