idle rough

s10-den
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: idle rough

Post by s10-den »

GEJ,no more than normal water....You can use regular water, I just put the soap in just to help find the leak... :yawinkle:
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I can't believe nobody's mentioned motor mounts yet! It is possible that the engine is actually idling normally but the mounts are just worn out and allowing it to move around to much. That was the case with my van a few years ago.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

i think i might have figured it out when in open loop it idles pretty smooth but it only happends in closed loop is when the rough idle happends could this be the temp. sensor the one for computer?
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

very well could be the temp sensor. If it's returning bad data to the pcm when it goes into closed loop, it'll mess up the air fuel mix. when in open loop, the fuel mix is controlled to a set program, tends to be on the rich side.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

yeah i think i am gonna have to check that cause it also idles kinda low when in closed loop
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

other thoughts: idle air control valve port might need to be cleaned. What shape is your air filter in?
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

new air filter

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

okay here is what am been learning when the engine is in open loop it seems to idle a little high but when in closed loop it idles too low my throughts are could it be my coolant temp. sensor for the computer, cat. converter, o2 sensor or what else?

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

also what temp. does the computer go into closed loop and how would it know?

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

when my van goes in to closed loop which is at 150 -160 degrees then this is when it idles rough it only happends in closed loop. so what sensor could cause this it is a low idle does not stall seems to run lean sounds like it is kinda of loading up a little not that bad

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

any luck with this yet?
I don't have a silver bullet for you to fix the low idle problem based on the thread so far, but I spent a lot of time bringing my '89 back from the brink of death. I'm certainly willing to share the things that have improved the way my 4.3 runs the most. PM me if you like. I check the site almost every day.

name's Steve

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

Kings-x59 pm sent!!

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

UPDATE:I got a tach install it is a super tach2 okay when the computer goes into closed loop which is arould 140degrees to160degrees the engine idles at 350-400rpm in gear it does not stall it just idles low like that it does not fluxturate it is stable but it shakes but the engine stays running very strong what could be the issue? it only happens in closed loop and off idle it is perfect and when in open loop it idles real smooth at 750-950rpm stable.

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

bump please help!!

Bubbathegimp

Post by Bubbathegimp »

On my Stro I was having idle problems, Would start running crappy intermittently, including on the expressway. after loosing the other half of my hair, A buddy of mine had me go to his shop on his off day and hooked it into their analyser.

Come to find out that the shop I had replace my O2 sensor a year ago didn't put the little boot back on and the connection was a little corroded.
Still Kickin...