96' 383 build

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
phatmaxx87
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: 96' 383 build

Post by phatmaxx87 »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You all sicken me! haha, those are my sister's feet. Ugh. Any way, ya. That was my sister's feet cause she was helping me photograph tings.

The oil pressure problems were because I was attempting to reuse the stock lifters after cleaning them. That feel threw, some had not flow and one would not stay pumped up, so I replaced them with crane cam lifters. I also decided to buy ARP poly loc rocker nuts.

I am at a stand still for about a month. The motor will get painted this month and I will just go on a saving spree for the tranny. Thanks for the comments. Sorry buy I dont document my builds as often as danny but I will try to follow this one very close due to the lack of late modle EFI V8 swaps. I know I would have liked to see some more of them. Hope you all enjoy.

-Vance
96' Chevy Astro Cargo. Custom paint. 5.7 Vortec motor stroked out to a 383ci. 17" wheels Dad stripped it.

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Post by phatmaxx87 »

My buddy Brian Urban painted the 383 this weekend. I got it back this morning while I was at work. Here are pictures of it un masked. It looks kinda blue in these pictures but it is a dark Honda green. I bought a pint size can and Urban added one t-spoon of siver flake and 1/2 t-spoon of green flake. Enjoy.

-Vance
96' Chevy Astro Cargo. Custom paint. 5.7 Vortec motor stroked out to a 383ci. 17" wheels Dad stripped it.

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Post by phatmaxx87 »

here are some better pictures of the flake in the paint.

-Vance

nitropyro

Post by nitropyro »

not bad i will have to come down and check it out. i got more done on the watts check it out.
Danny
Danny im 21 year old with an 89 astro bbc 9in bagged 20's & 18's

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Post by phatmaxx87 »

well, it was a good day do be an Astro owner. I took the van to AP tuning here in columbus Ohio and they dyno'd the van for me so I could get a base HP and torque number. Drove it to work, to the dyno shop, three pulls and it drove home with out a scratch. Here are the pictures,........and video. :guitar: BTW, the last pull was with the A/C on, just to see how much it killed power.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/P ... p005-5.flv

The HP is 131 and 180 FtLB of torque. Mind you that this at the rear wheels and the van has 170K on it. Enjoy.

-Vance

COMP
I am smitten with my van

Post by COMP »

good thread,,, :cheers:

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Post by phatmaxx87 »

well, here is a video of the van doing its last burnout with the V6.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/P ... p002-5.flv

I started the swap tonight with the help of a friendly shove from danny. I got the garage all clean(would hate to work on a dirty floor haha) put the van exactly were I wanted it and started to tear down all the little things. I am going to get it ready to pull the sub frame slowly threw out the next two weeks. The V8 will sit on the craddle on the 7th of September. The dash is coming out and I am striping the whole core support and fire wall to paint the engine bay the color of the motor. Hope you people keep tuned in. here are some pictures of tonights hour worth of work from danny and I.

-Vance

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

We be watching from down here at the 96. Lookin good. \:D/
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

...and I'll be watching from up here in NW Ohio. :bounce:
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

COMP
I am smitten with my van

Post by COMP »

I'm here :cheers:

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Post by phatmaxx87 »

Here is progress on tonights work(August 25). Got the dash completly removed. The inside of the firewall is completly exposed. Brake and throttle pedal are removed, dog house is removed, battery removed, basicly everything interior wise is out of the way and done on the disasembly. Will work on the accessory drive and exterior fire wall next, try to get most of it removed by the week end. I have a lot to do the rest of the week so I might not get it all done, but its no big deal. As long as the cradle is ready to be removed by the 5th of Sept. Not bad for one weeknight after coming home from nine hours at work. Enjoy.

Sorry for some of the bad pictures. Till next time.

-Vance

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Damn ! your a machine Vance :supz: Interior pics were fine, we'll let the exterior ones slide this time,LOL

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I must have missed something. I wasn't aware that the dash had to come out to do an engine swap. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Not for nothing,but if it where me,not sure I would paint the engine compartment the same as the engine.Contrast makes colors stand out.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

nitropyro

Post by nitropyro »

Smiliesafari-the dash does not have to come out but for painting the engine bay it gets rid of all the wiring to make life sooooooo much easier.
GEJ-you are like my dad he said i was nuts for doing mine all the same i think it looks clean personally.
vance-come on get that motor ripped out already lol
Danny
Danny im 21 year old with an 89 astro bbc 9in bagged 20's & 18's