Shop tools and equip you have built.

Non technical and off-topic discussion

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Shop tools and equip you have built.

Post by peter »

Nice post, Robby. Sure was nice to take a stroll down memory lane!
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Rob,,you are the man budro. Some nice work. That old bell housing brought back a few for sure. Really nice job.
My neighbor in Florence built a test stand from an old motor rebuild stand,,had rad. battery and gauge panel but unlike yours,,his gas can was right under the motor. I was there when he first fired up a stroker he was putting in a show Gremlin,,fuel went everwhere caused by the dry fuel pump gasket. Didn't bother Billy,,gas shooting everywhere around the started and battery which was also under the motor. I left and went home to regroup. The guy was a genius when it came to building cars but had the proof safety wasn't tops on his list. Missing a total of 5 fingers caused by several car projects through the years.
In other words,,glad to see your gas supply is off in the distance.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Your "A Mad Scientist" Robbie, LMAO

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Nice job, Rob. I too built a couple of test stands over the years. The bellhousing starter should still be available. Although I think the block mount starters will work just as well. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Wow, Rob that's some pretty creative stuff. I like the idea of using the subframe, but I guess it is kind of bulky.

Here's a tool I made when I was rebuilding my brake calipers. I didn't have the seal driver to seat the dust boot so I made this out of two scrap connecting rod bearings welded together (not very well) with some scrap steel.
It's not pretty because I had to keep welding more onto it so it would not bend, and because my welding skills are not as awesome as some other peoples', but it was functional.

-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

6spd_monte wrote:Wow, Rob that's some pretty creative stuff. I like the idea of using the subframe, but I guess it is kind of bulky.

Here's a tool I made when I was rebuilding my brake calipers. I didn't have the seal driver to seat the dust boot so I made this out of two scrap connecting rod bearings welded together (not very well) with some scrap steel.
It's not pretty because I had to keep welding more onto it so it would not bend, and because my welding skills are not as awesome as some other peoples', but it was functional.

That's cool.

Here's one simple one from me.

Buried in my trailer,but I bought from a store for 2 bucks the 8 pack plastic crate from 2 liter pop to keep things straight during a engine rebuild for the pistons/rods etc.I number it 1 thru 8.The hard plastic will not harm the pistons during assembly.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Have made a few tools in the past. Recently I made a powered ring grinder to gap piston rings. Lot faster than a hand one.
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

6spd_monte wrote:Wow, Rob that's some pretty creative stuff. I like the idea of using the subframe, but I guess it is kind of bulky.

Excuse me genius. You do realize that those bearings'll have to be polished before you can use them again, don't you? [-( [-(

:yawinkle:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Excuse me genius. You do realize that those bearings'll have to be polished before you can use them again, don't you?
=D> :muhaha:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

mattblackratbus
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mattblackratbus »

Peter i love you man you crack me up :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha: ....Johnny

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Here's a tip for all of you guys that have a press. I save all of the old bearing races. There's a bizzilion differend sizes. They make great press tools. \:D/
Johnny........Don't laugh at Petey. [-X You'll just encourage him. :muhaha:
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

mattblackratbus
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mattblackratbus »

Smiliesafari wrote:Johnny........Don't laugh at Petey. [-X You'll just encourage him. :muhaha:

Sorry :peep: what is they say..'Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence' :prayer: Petey is the man...Off topic #-o ...Johnny

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

You may have seen it before but I built a moblie welding stand to house my mig welder, tools and cables. It was important to have an oversize flat table on the top enabling me to clamp components down to be tacked together. Now it can be easily moved around my van or my dune buggy or whatever I`m welding on.

`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Psst, Darren...you can expect me to make an 'Ohio' copy of your welding cart/stand when I get a wire welder...just thought you needed to know... :)
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

No problem mate, copy it, modify it, build it to suit your own needs..... but just take pictures of each stage so that we can help inspire other members to learn how to mig-weld, and modify their own vans.... < thats what I enjoy to do, Encourage our members to get creative.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc