want an upgrade on a budget

zombie{[six]}
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: want an upgrade on a budget

Post by zombie{[six]} »

I meant no disrespect and I admit that I TOTALLY came off with the wrong vibe on that. I was just trying to emphasis that filter upgrades are a #1 place to start with a better breathing engine. I honestly meant no disrespect. <3 all of you
crate 350 bored .60 over, 700R4, lifted...yada yada yada. Who cares what i have, ITS FAST AND I LOVE DRIVING IT!!!

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

No offense taken. Everyone has an opinion. The real proof is in a comprehensive test. Not just what you think might be a real improvement. "Above 3000 rpm". That was my point exactly. Most of us very rarely drive our vans above 3000 rpm's. A fancy air filter will give you nothing most of the time. Now, don't get me wrong, I even like the way they look. However, if I only had $300.00 to play with and I wanted something that gave me a real improvement an air filter wouldn't be on the list. I think headers and all related exhaust improvements will give you more. Although, you might not be able to do that with $300.00. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

zombie{[six]}
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by zombie{[six]} »

very true. if it was a matter of $200 and up i would seek else were. but for $30 the spectre kit is worth every dime as it is only 10-15 $ more than a low flow fram filter. The difference i had was felt and seen. I went from 10ft burnouts to 20 ft burnouts just stomping on the gas. then again i probably got the huge improvement because i have the V8
crate 350 bored .60 over, 700R4, lifted...yada yada yada. Who cares what i have, ITS FAST AND I LOVE DRIVING IT!!!

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Plse do take the time to read threw the posted link for the tests done on air filters.I do think it bears out facts that are relevant to street driven vans/cars.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest2.htm

Those facts are the effects of air filters do not happen in normal day to day rpm driving ranges.Reading down to the paragraph after the test chart states that fact.

There is one other thing that comes to mind in that a high performance engine's requirements in lower rpm ranges might be somewhat different,but I still believe the effects of a aftermarket filter are likely marginal.This is based on the use of a weather station for drag racing where air changes effects the performance of the car during the course of a day.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Excellent read, Gary. But then us old guys have known this for a long time. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle