Hard 1st-2nd shift

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Hard 1st-2nd shift

Post by kings-x59 »

thinking from the standpoint of older technology here so some questions for thought for you guys with the 4L60e:
does the 4L60e have the 1-2 and 3-4 accumulator in it like my ancient 700R4? If so, I'd bet the problem was in the 1-2 accumulator. Most likely a spring that was about to go, or worn out seals. The other thing, which I think someone else has mentioned (too lazy to go back and read again) is a fluid and filter change. When the filter gets clogged up, the pump does not build pressure fast enough and you get what a I call the rubber band effect. Pressure builds slow, then finally hits the threshold and you get a hard 1 to 2 shift, an audible clunk in fact.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....