daylights

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: daylights

Post by kings-x59 »

GnarliSafari wrote:if a driver is too stupid or occupied to see a oncoming vehicle in broad daylight, i don't think DRLs are gonna help much...
ditto that...I think the DRLs had much more effect when they were brand new. I can recall commenting "look at that idiot, he has his headlights on in broad daylight!". So they obviously worked. They are as common as vehicle alarms now, which no one pays attention too either.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Any of you guys know a website where traffic statistics are available? It would be interesting to know if DRL's and High mount stop lights have done any good. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

Back in the late 70's they made head lights madatory on Motorcycles. This had a huge effect on the mount of accidents motorcycles were involved in. Secificaly where people turn left infront of a on coming bike. Now with daytime lights on the cars it had removed some of the extra level of saftey for motorcycles. So now you might see bikes with the head light kind of strobing. Riders are putting these on to stand out once again.

If you think about a grey car or a dark car on a somewhat overcast day with no head lights compared to the same car with head lights on which do you think you will see first. The same can be said on a hot day a car will vanish into the heat waves coming off the pavement but you will still see the head lights.

Personally I think all cars should come with automatic lights. Due to the number of cars with daytime running lights and the number if stupid people that drive them and think that the lights are on they don't need to touch the switch. So you see these idiot at night with no tail lights on. Either that or you see the Dodge caravan clowns driving with only the park lights on. The relay and sensor for automatic lights probably doesn't cost $50 to put in a car in the factory.

You can argue that you don't think daytime lights will help during the day but it is very well proven that they reduce the amount of accidents. I have read reports and studies about this over the years however I don't know where to find them on line.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

well I have to fess up, I drive with my headlights on, on overcast days..being a port city, houston has some of the worst drivers from around th world.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

JaxSPL
I get chills without my van.

Post by JaxSPL »

My '89 doesn't have DRLs but I sure wish it did. People have a hard time seeing a jet black van on an overcasted day, or even in the evening just when it's starting to get dark.

My wife's 1994 Grand Marquis has a photocell circuit wired to her lights. When it senses too little of light the all of the exterior light and dash lights turn on. I love this feature due to not ever having to worry about turning on the headlights themselves. At night they're already on as well as the parking and taillights.

Wish I coul dfigure out how to get that in my van. hmmm, project idea #2000
I Am Dennis. Van is Da Boom
Florida Sales Rep for GPI Subwoofers

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

JaxSPL wrote:My '89 doesn't have DRLs but I sure wish it did. People have a hard time seeing a jet black van on an overcasted day, or even in the evening just when it's starting to get dark.
See this is where I take the control...I turn my lights on on rainy or overcast days so others can see me. I don't need some gov't agency doing it for me. Gov't runs our lives too much as it is. ](*,)
JaxSPL wrote:My '89 doesn't have DRLs but I sure wish it did. Wish I coul dfigure out how to get that in my van. hmmm, project idea #2000
I wonder if you could grab the relay and control module for the DRL's off a newer Astro? You could then grab the sensor and module from a Silverado or TrailBlazer and get the auto lights. That would definitely make a great write-up. :yawinkle:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

This place has lots of cool stuff. I'm thinking of getting one of the signal lamp DRL modules from them.

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

I was just going through old posts and saw this thread again. For the 89 you should be able to buy a relay to get daytime lights as my 89 van had them.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

we have a unit here made by blue streak standard DRL-1 is the part number i'm pretty sure that'll work for an 89
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone