http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3071114

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Re: Just some misc pictures of Astros

Post by rlsllc »

crash wrote:it's like astro disneyland :D
hebert12 wrote:the astro's paradise...jajajaja
I've given this some thought, and you guys are wrong. It's like a little shop of horrors or Astro Hell, or a "roach hotel" for astros, most come in and never check out. :axe:

I tend to buy them at the end (or after) of their useful life, and part them out for other projects. It is so handy when you need a nut, bolt, screw, relay, fender, etc, to have a few extra vans.

I'm so glad there is no zoning here, and yes, I have had neighbors that hate me and one even moved due to the vehicles.

Your comments do apply to the proprietor, how ever, there's almost no place else I'd rather be. I've been busy, I'll post some pics Thurs or Fri if I get a chance. :muhaha:

:cheers:

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Buddy's 1999 cargo

Post by rlsllc »

1999 cargo, 200K, bought for $1000

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Clutch pedal install

Post by rlsllc »

No dash :yikes:

This must go

This must go in, there are 11 welds to drill out

Half way there...

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Wish you were closer,,that shorty cargo is tempting. If you part it out,,let me know about the rear doors if Gary decides differently. Slider also if that dent isn't into left end panel.
Last edited by Rebel on Fri May 07, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Hanging the clutch pedal

Post by rlsllc »

Six of the holes are out under the cowl, and let me tell ya, that thing is screwed down good, like I considered hiring a contractor to remove all of the screws. Geez...

Bolted, instead of welded, and used top quality silicone to seal the ones in the cowl, you can also see the reinforcement bushings which are part of the reason I didn't just drill two holes.

Clutch pedal in place!

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Hydroboost and drilling holes

Post by rlsllc »

Vacuum booster, and if you look close, there is a dimple in the middle of the three grouped bolts above the holes for the column and the wiring harness, that is where the slave bolts on, drill a 1 3/8" hole. The dimple holds the pilot bit nicely.

Holes drilled for the slave and the cable for the front Posi-lock cable. I forgot to get a pic without the slave. I used a left over gasket for something on a S10 on the slave. The hydroboost bolted right on, no problem.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Awesome Close up pictures..... > I`m following along here.... :supz:
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Logan
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Logan »

DUDE!! Very cool! I would love to have a 5 speed V8 stro! Now you got me thinking......
1988 Astro Shorty full cargo - 350 TBI - 5 speed
1993 Passenger 4X4 Astro 305 TBI V8 -2 speed transfer case 5" custom lift - Built by Lockdoc
2015 Ram Promaster City - work car
2004 AWD Express 5.3
2005 Express 15 passenger 6.0
1984 Beauville Full Size Sport Van- built TBI 355-electric fans- 4L60e 95,000 original miles
2001 International School Bus

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Thanks man. I'm a bad influence.

I gave up looking for a good 5 speed, there are only a couple that would live behind a V8 and/or bolt to a transfer case, so I'm using a SM465 4-speed. I would have stayed RWD (maybe) if I could have found a good 2wd 5 speed. Forget anything used in a car, they will die. The Astro T5 (or any t5) is a no-no. I have a complete T5 set up that I'm gonna sell. It would live if used gently behind a v6, maybe, with someone else driving.

I looked for a 1996 or newer NV3500 for a while, but they are rare and expensive. The NV4500 is also cool, but even more rare and expensive. Nothing else would survive, even the NV3500 is questionable depending on who you ask.

Find a clutch pedal and bracket, or donor van to steal it out of, and I'll be happy to help you with it. You'll just have to bring that good looking Mandy with you. [-X (J/K, don't come beat me down, lol)

hebert12

Post by hebert12 »

jajaj

much astro's
i need one or two parts....
ASTRO VAN 4.3, YEAR 1988 FROM PUNTA ARENAS, CHILE
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3071114

Logan

Post by Logan »

Hey Roy, I talked with a Guy at Hardshifts in Johnstown and he seems to think he can build a T5 to hold up to about 400+ horse relativly cheap. He even thinks that since my 350 is pretty much stock that even a stock one would be fine for me. I'm SOOOO tempted to try this!!!
1988 Astro Shorty full cargo - 350 TBI - 5 speed
1993 Passenger 4X4 Astro 305 TBI V8 -2 speed transfer case 5" custom lift - Built by Lockdoc
2015 Ram Promaster City - work car
2004 AWD Express 5.3
2005 Express 15 passenger 6.0
1984 Beauville Full Size Sport Van- built TBI 355-electric fans- 4L60e 95,000 original miles
2001 International School Bus

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I've got the flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, Astro 5 speed with offset shifter, new slave and good used clutch master cylinder. I should have the line somewhere, but you can make one from brake tubing if not. I've also got 2 Mustang 4 cyl WC T5s that have failed input bearings, good cores for parts. Make you a good deal if you want it all.

You can fab in the F-body clutch pedal also, there's a guy on here that did it recently. That's how I'm doing my 1985 MC SS when I get back to working on it. I didn't know it was an option for the Astro until I saw his. ](*,)

I'll be up at Hard Shift prolly Tues or Wed to drop off the 4L60E from my AWD to be built for the swap, I'll see if he will bend my ear about the T5.

I still don't think the T5 will live. It's the weight and torque load that will kill it. If you really want to do it, look for a 1996 or newer NV3500 from a half or 3/4 ton chevy truck with a 4.3 or small block. You are the master of finding stuff, I'm never in the right place at the right time.