reaper
I sleep in my van

Re: New fuel pump record

Post by reaper »

My 89 lowrider had a aluminum rectangle tank in it using a
in line external pump,It was a walbro pump,Now don't ask me
what model # & pics etc,It was years & years ago,that vans gone
& the tank set up forgotten.
I do know it worked well,but the pump gave out in the 3rd year after installation.
IMO the stock replacement is the way to go.
90 Astro Cargo V-8
90 Artro RS - V-8 Now running!
& a bunch of tractors
"there's nothing like a V-8 Polluting the Environment"

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i know someone used a walbro pump in an in-line setup on these vans before i think the link was posted in here somewhere
Edit: found it
unrreal wrote:ok guys i saw this topic and i just had to contribute O:) it has been done before by ME and other guys in the s-10 forums, i haven't posted my build in this site since i already have it on the othe as site, here's a link to my build tread and go to the last page once ur there thats where the fuel pump stuff is (and pardon my pics i gotta get better ones ) http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=7191
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Interesting mod on the fuel pump. Went to look and found it interesting. I would have to look at it longer to understand every step he took. Any input from any one else?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

97TurboAstro
I am smitten with my van

Post by 97TurboAstro »

I looked at the rotaryaviation fuel pump and the edelbrock pump. Those are both Walbro external pumps.

Walbro makes several different external pumps. The GSL393 should be more than enough for an EFI M/L van. I doubt you'll see problems with fuel pressure, because the orifice in the OE regulator should be big enough. The only time I have seen a performance pump overpower an OE regulator is in vehicles with little 4-cyl engines.

Concerning the ability of those pumps to suck thru a dead pump...
It may work for a while, but it'll really be stressing that external pump. Those pumps push a lot better than they pull. With a dead pump as a restriction, the pump won't last too long. Walbro hasn't done any testing to determine how much the life is shortened, but inlet restrictions are a bad thing.

Walbro makes in-tank modules for the '97-up Astros. Anything before '97 is an easy swap with an in-tank pump.

If you want to remove the in-tank pump on a pre-97, all you'll need to do is use a piece of high-pressure in-tank hose and run it to the bottom of the tank with a sock on the end. There are baffles in the tank to keep fuel near the pickup.

If you want to elimitnate the in-tank pump on a post-96, you have some work ahead of you. The pump is in a bucket. That bucket acts as the baffles.... but... there is a jet at the bottom of that bucket that helps to keep it full. If you remove that pump, you are disabling that jet. You may have to run 1/2 tank of fuel to avoid running that bucket dry. But.. if you are running a monster pump, the return line should keep the bucket full.

I'd go with a Walbro replacement pump... but I think I'm a bit partial to Walbro

I am http://apeusa.com
Ron
Nevada, TX
1997 Emerald Green Astro w/ a few mods
wearing-out tires

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

A fantastic strong external fuel pump by Holley (red and blue) cost about $100 I believe. This would not only be easier to swap, but far less. We just need someone to actually do it. Whomever has a pump not working at this time, I enthusiastically elect you… :bounce:
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

brokenwrench
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by brokenwrench »

HPbyStan wrote:That does look like a good option. Does anyone know what is basically wrong with the Astro / Safari system? Other rides don't eat fuel pumps like they're free.

it is from running the tank low on gas, the gas cools the pump, low fuel, overheated pump, = demise

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

That still doesn't explain why some people have no concept of vehicle maintenance - run it until it is almost broken and then pawn it off on some unsuspecting rube.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage