Compact Van Keys

Non technical and off-topic discussion

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Compact Van Keys

Post by kings-x59 »

easier way to protect the design...do some drawings, give it a name, title it on the drawing, put your name on it, fill out the forms and file a copyright on the design. Last time I did this, I think it cost like 20 or 25 bucks. The whole patent process runs into the $thousands.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
Lockboy1691
I get chills without my van.

Post by Lockboy1691 »

i could make them the only thing is not having your keys to cut and modify and thank you it brought my spirits up
1992 Astro Van Ext - First van Multicolored Beat to crap
1994 Astro Van Ext - Second van finally V8 powered and lookin sexy!
Son of Lockdoc

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Lockboy1691 wrote:i could make them the only thing is not having your keys to cut and modify and thank you it brought my spirits up
You see LB, That was part of the problem with the linked design that I shared. The modifications to the keys. What if it could be made in kit form, where the S screw were smaller, diameter wise to fit thru an existing key opening. Then their would be no drilling or modifying the keys. The body of the device could be made more like a dog bone, in shape. And rather than having all keys flip out of one side, 2 could flip from one side and 2 could flip from the other. You could incorporate a teflon washer in between the keys to give them some resistance to flipping out on their own. The unit could hold 4 keys (standard size) or up to 8 keys (jumbo size). Additional teflon washers could be sent out with the unit to take up empty key spots. The dog bone sides could be engraved with just about anything. Colored or not. The list goes on. You can do this. People have gotten rich off of great ideas for quite awhile now. Good Luck, and like I said before, I would like to order two.

Thanks, Jim

Topic author
Lockboy1691

Post by Lockboy1691 »

well i will see what can be done one the fact that the keys dont have to be modified or even find that can be ordered with the right size hole in it and about the dog bone type shape i will make one and post pics and see how it works
Son of Lockdoc

Topic author
Lockboy1691

Post by Lockboy1691 »

i just got done looking at that keyport thing closer and honestly it is pretty bad ass they have specialized keys for you and everything. If i had the resources and money to do it i would but i am thinking about buying one just to get some sort of idea for it it is only $100 maybe $15o tops but i still might get it
Son of Lockdoc

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

LB,
This is their website.
http://www.mykeyport.com/
Jim

Topic author
Lockboy1691

Post by Lockboy1691 »

thanks i havent contacted the site yet to see if they can even make the keys i want
Son of Lockdoc

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

reaper
I sleep in my van

Post by reaper »

timelessbeing wrote:Image
Way to blow the wind out of a kid's sails dude.
90 Astro Cargo V-8
90 Artro RS - V-8 Now running!
& a bunch of tractors
"there's nothing like a V-8 Polluting the Environment"

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

timelessbeing wrote:Image
Ah Timeless,

What an answer...

Good to see ya, Jim

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I'm just compensating for the fact that I can't make a cool key tool like that.
It actually looks like something I would use. :)

Good to see ya too, Jim.

Topic author
Lockboy1691

Post by Lockboy1691 »

i am too poor to put a remote system in my van or afford push button combination locks so i made this and i am still looking into the keyport thing
Son of Lockdoc

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

my keyless entry doesnt work anymore and because i never used the actual key in the door before they really dont work either, so you could do what i do an leave it unlocked with the keys in it at all times, doesnt get much more compact. i know i could probably spray some grease in my locks to make them work but frankly i dont care.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

GnarliSafari wrote:i know i could probably spray some grease in my locks to make them work but frankly i dont care.
Grumpy only had one lock tumble that worked when I bought it, the back door and yes I keep my $250 van locked. Regular treatments with PB Blaster eventually freed them all up.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
Lockboy1691

Post by Lockboy1691 »

well i used to do that but i got my ipod stolen from my van luckily whoever did it didnt notice the keys in and steal my van too and i hated carrying my keys around but this makes it easier for me
Son of Lockdoc