Sending items via Canada Post

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Sending items via Canada Post

Post by MountainManJoe »

I like discussing politics, except when people get all upset about it, so now I'm done.

Anyways, Canada Post rates aren't that great to begin with. Our corporate UPS rate is better and they actually have service level obligations.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

Yes Shoppers, and the corner store charge more to ship CanPost ( you are basically piggybacking off their account and they mark it up for profit ).

IF you ship with CanPost on a semi-regualr basis you can apply on-line for a free small business card ( Venture One ) which will offer you add'l savings and pre-print your postage so you only pay what is listed and it's cheaper than what you pay at the counter with CanPost.

I really don't like dealing with them but when shipping to a residence they are cheaper than the courier companies

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

I have been reading this..............the thing that is most confusing is why in the world would Timeless expect a sub contractor to provide a service for the same price as his postal office or what would given their costs for free???.Is that sub contractor misrepresenting it's self as a postal office??.

If he knows the sub contractor is charging for that service,then why is he surprised to find out that fact??.

To take this farther-I would think most members here would expect to pay for a service like that.

Sooooooo,what is the purpose of this thread too??.Actually we can find any UPS send anything for the difference of what is was $3.00.Kind of confusing.

I will tell you this Timeless-when AstroZam or Lockdoc tells you something,it's time to put on your listening ears on.That is really true when it comes to Lockdoc.He says more within one sentence than most says in a whole thread.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Gary, yes you are confused. I never said I expected people to provide a free service, either explicitly or implicitly. It seems like some people are completely missing the point of this topic, which is: go to a corporate Canada Post outlet if you want to get better rates. Although, as Rileysowner pointed out, this may just be another baloney chain email going around.

Also, yes it is possible for a 3rd party dealers to sell goods or services at a lower price than their suppliers. An OEM retail outlet will charge their cost + x% profit. A competing retailer can buy those same goods or services from the OEM supplier at wholesale cost, then add y% profit, the total being lower than the OEM retail price. In fact, this is a good way to compete, especially if you have large volume. This is why I can buy GM parts cheaper at Lordco than at the dealership.

You say yourself you don't see the purpose of this thread, so why are you posting in it? I can't even make any sense of your post thanks to your unintelligible English.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Timeless-in the world of retail..........say a drug store, who is just trying to sell you the things on their shelfs like shampoo,it is possible for them to offer a convenience item at their costs or at a loss.It is called a loss leader.Because you don't know what those costs are,this thread is moot.Even if they are making money,you still are not having to go to your post office.I doubt a drug store corporation is dancing in the isles of the store that they scammed another customer for this service.They are just trying to drive sales of the products they sell on the shelfs by bringing you into the store.I would guess the postal service sales of that drug store is getting in net margin is less than one tenth of one percent.Where at the end of the day,they really don't care if you send anything from that drug store or not as long as you stop by to buy say their shampoo.

Please-please,Timeless do re-frame from parting shots like about my English or being confused comments.I will advise you that you will find on this forum the people here are a class above any other.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Sorry, Gary. I was tired after a late night of :drinkers: . Your last reply is clear as a bell.

And you're absolutely right. The stores like 7-11, Shoppers etc. are offering postal services to bring more customers in the door, who might also get their prescriptions, or pick up some toilet paper etc. I'm surprised Walmart hasn't gotten into it. Maybe in :usa: .

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

I haven't shipped out much stuff in the past...and I didn't know there is a price difference between the random in-store Canada Post vs the real Canada Post Office.
So THANK YOU for the heads up:)

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

loopie wrote:I haven't shipped out much stuff in the past...and I didn't know there is a price difference between the random in-store Canada Post vs the real Canada Post Office.
So THANK YOU for the heads up:)
I have shipped out quite a bunch and I didn't know either. not that it matters. what I've shipped were usually ebay sales that the buyer pays anyway. I'm willing to pay a couple of bucks more for the simple convenience of MUCH better hours than the typical 9am - 4pm and usually less pleasant customer service of a government 'business', because it's in a contract somewhere they make $30hr and get 9 + weeks of vacation a year, we know how rough that can be :-k

as for UPS being a viable option here in :canuk: .. not by me. WAY more expensive IMO. dirt cheap to use in the :usa: forgettaboutit if whatever your shipping has to cross the border from US to Canada and is worth more than $20. pretty much have to sign over the deed to your house when it arrives \:D/

purolator (cda post) and fedex are alternatives, only if you hold a business acct are the rates tolerable.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*