Good price or not???

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Good price or not???

Post by doyoulikeithere »

MrJames wrote:From SNL's Dana Carvey's Church Lady "could it be the.....AstroTurf ?"
I thought she said "could it be .....SATAN ?" :yikes: I'm Sure Jim is NOT satan, but I could be wrong, LOL.
AstroTurf wrote:A 16 year old van for a business does not a good investment make (period).
I disagree.
Not every business can afford something NEW, or even expensive/used. (period).
I suggest that a huge down payment and large monthly payments do not equal a good investment, if your business cant afford that. (period).
So, if your business cant afford that, Then it would be a dumb investment, and an old astro that is owned outright would be more appropriate of a purchase decision, and will help the business grow and get profitable enough to someday buy a new full sized chevy van to handle all the new business.

Dying breed or not, we can all attest to the "awesome reliability" and "Runs Forever" factor attached to these vans. Isnt that a big part of why we are here?
Lets see what any 16 year old Nissan vehicle looks like, is worth, and how well it runs, compared to an Astro. :muhaha:
With that in mind, My POV is: that buying any Asian Vehicle is a bad investment. 16 years down the road, it really will be worthless, but the astro will find still people willing to pay over 2 grand for it.

Good price or not? Seemed a bit high to me, but I guess that Depends on your point of view also.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

MrJames
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by MrJames »

completetech are you proud of yourself for creating such a Topic ?

Just kidding ! You asked a valid question and received several good answers from nothing to whatever.

Most of us wouldn't be here if we didn't see some value in these vans. I would love a 2012 Mercedes van. Have you seen them ? Can I (you) afford it ? Is it overkill for the job ? Does it keep our dollars here ? We can each only answer these questions for ourselves.

Sadly, the demand for our vans has dwindled to a point where GM decided to close and raze the factory where they were built. Now we have to go offshore for something close. Then we wonder why employment is low in the USA and Canada.

I would prefer to upgrade to a larger Chevy or Ford van even if it is not exactly what I need rather than support another government. Then have it be real "junk" for sure

I know I said I was done in this topic but I figured I would make a $100 offer for someone else's 2005 junk which I would treasure.

You are not stupid and asking for opinions is the proof. Follow your path as you see it.

Amen

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

astroturf wrote:Show me something in an Astro's size range that is made in North America, and I'll buy it.
A 1500 dollar van is not a good long-term business investment.
How about a used 2000 Safari Van?
for about 2 grand, it's probably as reliable, and cheaper to fix, than a new nissan.
Plus, his investment in it was as a "Spare" which I think is wise to have.
You'll notice I always have 2 drivable AstroSafari vans, and I'm always able to get to work.
(a 1987 & a 1990 right now, both going strong & not rusty)
I will welcome a hearty laugh at any 23-25 year old Nissan.

Having more than one vehicle of the same kind is a wise plan to keep you getting there.
But, price seems to be so area specific it seems. I only paid 800 bux for my 1990.
Take your time if you can ,Learn what to look for and pick out a good one. Nothing wrong with AstroSafari Vans.
They are the right size, made in the right place, have the right cost / fixability and everything!!

Topic author
completetech

Post by completetech »

Thank you everyone for all of the input and the off topic replys :D

But As stated by other posters. The reliability of the van is pretty strong, even though mine is currently not showing me much love. but back to what I wanted to say.

A new vehicle would be nice. Who doesnt love nice things that are brand new? An example, I wanted a new tablet, but why pay $100 more for a new tablet when after some research I found hidden pretty much a refurb store on Apple's site. So I am now getting a refurb with the same warranty and all for a $100 less then in store. So I am all about saving money and getting the most for my money.

But now i'm getting off topic a bit (depends on your point of view.

I rather pay cash (as I do for absolutely everything), then to get a loan, making some bank who could care less about me or my business and how we are doing or what is a good choice for me, any of my money. It's simple. Really. I pay say $2,000 for a vehicle that lasts 2 years, breaks down, I need to put say $1,000 into it to keep it running for another year. $3,000 for a vehicle for 3 years. still would be less then interest I would have paid for a new vehicle that I'd still have to do the repairs on and of course keep in mind most likely the repairs would cost me more then the $1,000. I'm sure everyone gets what I am trying to say whether it is coming out right or not. :withstupid:

I feel as though paying cash for a vehicle also gives you a lot more for the money then trying to buy a new vehicle.

As far as the comments about the vehicle and what it does for business.... Simple. Between city and highway, with no cruise on the van. I get 18mpg. Not bad in my opinion. Plus keep in mind the vehicle hasa full frame and is rated at something like 5000lbs towing. I'd love a Ford Transit Connect with 22mpg city, but that little 4 cyl. is not gonna be able to tow that stuff or i feel take the abuse that the Astro can or does. And not to mention, its just FWD.

So in short, I am a real big fan of the AstroSafari, I'd love to find another one to add to the fleet. However at this point I'd settle for enough time to fix the one I have. :muhaha: But we all know no ones making more hours during the day. :yikes: Unless someone didnt fill me in on something.

Again I appreciate all the input and peoples insight. I love the information here and everyones knowledge they are willing to share.

Thanks,
Nathan

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Best of luck to you in your Quest Bud.
Keep us up to date eh?

Topic author
completetech

Post by completetech »

Will do... Talked to the guy again today. Best he'll do is $1,900. So I'll have to think bout it

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

Offer him $1200 and tell him the van isn't worth $1900. I paid $1900 for a 98 AWD.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Oh Ya, dont forget, the Astro engines and a few other little things took a big change between 95 and 96.
What year of van do you already own? If you mentioned, i forgot, but if you want a spare, look for one thats the same style of engine fuel and computer system.
Some folks think the 1995 was a mutant. I had one, it was OK, but the 96 and up have a different style of fuel and computer system. and the 95 transmission was a 1 off year.
What year exactly is this 95 or 96 $1900 AWD van? You should nail that part down I think!

oldsmoker

Post by oldsmoker »

My '89 is worth a lot to me, its paid for, no monthly payments. I can work on it myself for the most part, its a simple, sturdy vehicle that even with 23 years and 283K, i jump in every day and dont worry about it stopping on me.

If what you are looking at serves your purpose and you get it at the right price, do it. As has been said, take some time to check it out as it WILL need stuff done to it, how much of that will you or can you do yourself?

Im at the point where im just gonna keep mine and run it, it drives very, very well.

Mine also was an old conversion van with all of the rear stuff pulled out to make what is now a cargo.

THE strongest vote we have is with our dollars, way too much has left this country and will not come back, all we can do is slow it and I like the perspective of considering where it is made and by who.

There is only one van that I would buy to replace my astro and thats a Ford Transit Connect, smaller but very functional, right now, I have no idea where they are made, but i dont care, cause i dont need one!!

dont pay too much, the right van, at the right price will come along.
1989 Astro 4.3 283k. Originally a Zimmer conversion van, now a stripped out cargo.

markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I agree I would much rather spend to rebuild an Astro/Safari for business or pleasure then to buy JUNK JAP vehicle of any brand! Buy American keep Americans working! Screw Japanese or even European Vehicles. On that same note I think our Government should stop allowing the sales of foreign products of all types unless they buy equally in value from the USA.

Just wanted to put my 12 cents in.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

2000 Astro (no windows) cargo for sale on Craigs List Madison, Wi. for $800. Except for some dents in the hood and it looks like a problem with the latch, this thing doesn't seem too bad. I agree with whomever posted that price depends alot on where you live. Van is in Janesville, Wi.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

MrJames

Post by MrJames »

MrJames wrote:... I would love a 2012 Mercedes van. Have you seen them ? Can I (you) afford it ?....
I did make that statement. I know that this is more off topic regarding the value of an Astro and may be better in the conversion van section.

It seems that the body of the Mercedes is designed for this type of conversion use. No need to cut out the roof and place a fiberglass top on nor cut out window ports. Appears to be ready for a treatment like one of these from this link.

http://www.midwestautomotivedesigns.com/

Dreams are cheap.

Topic author
completetech

Post by completetech »

MrJames wrote:
MrJames wrote:... I would love a 2012 Mercedes van. Have you seen them ? Can I (you) afford it ?....
I did make that statement. I know that this is more off topic regarding the value of an Astro and may be better in the conversion van section.

It seems that the body of the Mercedes is designed for this type of conversion use. No need to cut out the roof and place a fiberglass top on nor cut out window ports. Appears to be ready for a treatment like one of these from this link.

http://www.midwestautomotivedesigns.com/

Dreams are cheap.

That's crazy. I am doing that right now to my Astro...... Lol... J/k

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

markmitchinnh wrote:Buy American keep Americans working!
Sadly, that strategy serves to line Mr. Henderson's pockets, and encourages GM to build inferior vehicles. Although, lately Ford has been getting praise for improving the quality of their vehicles. Don't forget that foreign vehicles sold in North America are also built there by American workers.

GM now makes most of its money from loans. Thanks to big corporations like it, wages have flatlined since the 70's, forcing people to borrow more money. I would not shed a tear if GM went bankrupt, if it opened the market to new upstarts and more competition.

MrJames

Post by MrJames »

completetech wrote:That's crazy. I am doing that right now to my Astro...... Lol... J/k
Crazy ? My Dr. knows crazy. I have the prescriptions to prove it.

Then you are making a conversion van ? Did you see the eBay link that Gary posted ? That is a conversion.