What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by Rebel »

Gwen, that cylinder can work on your nerves for sure. As was mentioned, if ya can get everything in the right order, you're cool. I've got to swap mine out also. Waiting on you to give the correct order of things. :muhaha:
Weather wass good,,not shoveling anything at the 96. Got more done on the frenched antenna. Almost complete, just a little more work around the top of tubing and that will be it. You guys check it out in the other thread and let me know what you think. This was the first Frenched antenna I've ever done. Worst part was grinding the tubing to fit curve of fender,,other than that was smooth sailing.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Put the Smilievan into chase mod. Cherie and I took the balloon out. It was 42 degrees and the wind speed was about 3 mph. It was another perfect flying day. Sometimes it's hard for me to believe after 30 years this passion still lives. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Skip,,when ya gonna catch a north westerly breeze and head that thing up to the 96 ?? :yawinkle:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

d3athm3talh3ad wrote:took out my old column, and replaced it with my new-to-me steering column with tilt...now if i can figure out how to swap the ignition switch lock cylinder so i can keep my original key...
Gwen, I put together a short post in the transmission / brakes / steering forum with a pic on the key cylinder removal.
getting to the point where you can remove it is a fair amount of work. See my other post on the tilt column tear down if you are suffering from insomnia.
I recommend having your digi cam handy and taking pics as each assembly is removed for reference when reassembling. ziplock bags are handy for keeping the bits and pieces together as well.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Grumpy: Finish removing the front drive shaft and disassembling one of the half shafts. I might actually have something to drive tomorrow.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

dug around between the front seats, picking up tools and putting them back in the tool box, and picked up a half a bag of garbage that seemed to be multiplying there.... shoveled out alittle more drive way to get to the garage and the tool box.....
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Grumpy: Disassembled the other half shaft, installed the axle shafts into the hubs, topped off the transfer case and rear diff, was pulled out of the Garage by my wife with Eugene, and then jumped the battery off Eugene. It's outside idling right now.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Grumpy: Drove it to work with the AWD stuff removed. So far, so good.
Aaron

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i attempted to do my CTS today and failed i bought a 2 lead CTS and mine only has 1 lead i didn't notice the fine print that stated it did not come with pigtail and no stores near me had it in stock (go me.....) have to grab it from work monday.
I did manage to do the Thermostat and blower resister(gave me some trouble tho didn't fit properly) done, so i have heat again here a couple pics.
first lets do my coolant (i think that's supposed to be antifreeze.....)
next my old thermostat and my rad cap... pretty nasty
old resister(left) new resister (right)
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

All I did was give the van a quick wash to get the salt off.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

the usual drive 1/2 mile down the road from home to work park it, hop in the 02 chevy 2500hd, work all day, park the truck and hop back into the van for its second installment of daily short distance driving.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Grumpy: Play tools runner for working on Eugene, had to take care of a leaky front diff so it doesn't end up like Grumpy.
Aaron

reaper
I sleep in my van

Post by reaper »

Today I took the winter tires/rims off & polished up the summer rims.
Before installing them I spotted a questionable wheelstud,removed it
& re-installed a new one.I also bought new lugnuts & McGuard wheellocks.
Tomorrow comes a oil/filter change & datalogging.
90 Astro Cargo V-8
90 Artro RS - V-8 Now running!
& a bunch of tractors
"there's nothing like a V-8 Polluting the Environment"

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

changed out a ( half burnt out headlight ) wrapped some sheet metal around an un-godly loud crack in my exhaust,all is well. :cheers: for the time being!

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Spent a couple hours friday replacing both front door handles & tightening down the window motor on the drivers side of the wifes van (window worked when it wanted cuz of bad ground ) 90% of the clips were broken on the drivers side door panel so a couple handy dandy sheetrock screws took care of that problem . :D :D then bought new windshield wiper blades (rainex ) & came with a free gallon of rainex squirt so i put that in too . checked all the fluids , topped off the antifreeze (got a slow leak somewhere will find it come better weather ) .next is the front brakes , calipers , rotors & hoses . just to be safe & cuz it really needs it . will adjust up the backs & check out the pads & shoes to see how bad they are .

its allways something !!!! #-o #-o #-o
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.