What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

brokenwrench
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by brokenwrench »

safari kev wrote:van is going into the body shop next week to fix damage from accident back in july. getting rf fender and bumper redone, new rf rim, and new running boards
as for the cadillac, I've been debating on whether to use the 200r4 thats in the car or wait and buy a $1200-$1500 beefed up trans. think I'm gonna wait and get a beefier trans since my chevy 350 will be right on the threshold for max torque for the 200r4, and I dont feel like blowing up the trans. the 350 is a goodwrench 350 with smog heads, edelbrock intake, and 1 5/8 headers (still have to order them) and 600 cfm quadrajet. should make approx 270 hp and 350 ft/lbs of torque w/o accessories.
if you go to the aftermarket transmission companies, TCI, Hughes, etc, you will note very few parts to upgrade the 200r4, this is because it is inherently not a very strong transmission. many would argue with me about that.

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I realized I spent more money on it than I have in the bank! #-o
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

brokenwrench

Re: What did you do to/with your van today? /almost wrecked

Post by brokenwrench »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
brokenwrench wrote:what a beautiful part of your country (if you are American), hadn't been there since about '93. no evidence of the economic collapse that we have been hearing about in our media, most of which is your media. lots of building going on and overall looking prosperous.
Thanks! :muhaha: I am not too far from where you were on I90. I am about 40 minutes north of Syracuse. Even though there appears to be no sign of the economic collapse, there are lots of people feeling the effects. Taxes are up, food prices are way up and fuel (although cheaper than Canada, eh) are still high. Plus add in the lost wages from lost jobs, high energy prices and high home heating prices...we are hurting here. I am VERY lucky to have an awesome good paying job and my wife has a teaching job now. We are doing great but many are not. In the Finger Lakes area where you were, they are still doing very well since we all seem to love alcohol! :muhaha: :partyman:
yah, it is obviously a wealthy area, gorgeous old victorian homes, beautiful farms, I must say, they have come a long way in their winemaking skills since my last visit,

somehow the gas that we sell you is cheaper in your country.

apparently canada survived the recession better than any other country, very conservative banks, lots of cheap Scottish blood lines. you guys always pull it off, momentum will carry you back up, usa has a cohesivenesss and patriotism that canada does not, well, we have less.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

98: oil change and realized i have to change sway bar bushings asap and some others soon 8-[
97:oil change and recorded a nasty sound........... :vom:

Lifted have i mentioned lately how much your skid plate rocks i love it :prayer:
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I removed this POS

:muhaha:
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

..And I put this MONSTER in! :D

Still some work to do. I need to fix my cooler lines and make a few adjustments. But it's 95% done! I can't wait to try it out! :guitar:

Krank88

Post by Krank88 »

I never thought I would say this but, what a beautiful transmission.
88 astro high top Sherrod conversion, Rebuilt 4.3z

safari kev

Post by safari kev »

brokenwrench wrote:
if you go to the aftermarket transmission companies, TCI, Hughes, etc, you will note very few parts to upgrade the 200r4, this is because it is inherently not a very strong transmission. many would argue with me about that.
unless I get an early 90s 700r4 and get it rebuilt and slightly modded, it still wont be able to handle even a very mild 350. they, like the majority of 200r4's, were just adequate enough to put behind the motors they were paired with (not able to handle much torque).
I've also looked into 700r4's, and once I factor in the cost of a slightly beefed up 700r4 (not much less than a similar 200r4) + j/y crossover+ modifying driveshaft, its cheaper to go with the 200r4 (since I'm having a shop do the work). if I was doing the work myself (dont have a garage or lift) I'd probably go with the 700r4.
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
94 safari hi-top explorer limited. 132k miles.
95 ASTRO choo choo conv. RIP @115K
97 safari slx "surfin' safari" 145k miles RIP
91 safari shorty Tiara conversion. RIP
86 cadillac fleetwood brougham. 67k. It thinks its a hot rod.
83 lesabre limited. 71k miles
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

safari kev

Post by safari kev »

van went into the body shop today to repair damage from wreck back in june or july. getting new running boards (right one is destroyed), a new rf rim, and alot of rf fender work. at least she'll look like new again. in the mean time, I get to drive a loaner full size car (since they don't have loaner conversion vans)
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

JTalley
I sleep in my van

Post by JTalley »

Greased the front end... All of it that I could reach, anyway. Steers much better now.
Jake

Ed- 1992 Astro, RWD, 4.3l V6 (purchased Feb. 2011)
FlowTech Red Hots glasspack exhaust (finally got it put on there!)
Old rides (earlier to later)
2004 Honda 250 Rebel (my dad's bike, he let me use it)
Neko- 1991 S10 Blazer, 4x4, 4-door (SOLD Feb. 2011)
Custom (aka failed) diy paint job- red with black stripe

brokenwrench

Post by brokenwrench »

safari kev wrote:
brokenwrench wrote:
unless I get an early 90s 700r4 and get it rebuilt and slightly modded, it still wont be able to handle even a very mild 350. they, like the majority of 200r4's, were just adequate enough to put behind the motors they were paired with (not able to handle much torque).
I've also looked into 700r4's, and once I factor in the cost of a slightly beefed up 700r4 (not much less than a similar 200r4) + j/y crossover+ modifying driveshaft, its cheaper to go with the 200r4 (since I'm having a shop do the work). if I was doing the work myself (dont have a garage or lift) I'd probably go with the 700r4.

the modifications to make it a 500 hp transmission are cheap and part of any ethical rebuild, basically the sun shell, (TCI Beast replacement) and the 2-4 servo assembly pistons. if you want to really beat it, (nitrous, blower, etc.) an aftermarket hardened input shaft. the first two would add about $200 to the rebuild and make it very durable.

eventually it gets to be the "TH350 vs. TH400" argument, if you spend $2500 on a TH350, it is about as strong as a OTC rebuilder TH400, same goes for the 4L60E vs. 4L80E, a $2500 700R4 / 4L60E is about as strong as a good $150 wrecking yard 4L80E.

it does look good, I love the shiny billet aluminum cover.

safari kev

Post by safari kev »

brokenwrench wrote:
the modifications to make it a 500 hp transmission are cheap and part of any ethical rebuild, basically the sun shell, (TCI Beast replacement) and the 2-4 servo assembly pistons. if you want to really beat it, (nitrous, blower, etc.) an aftermarket hardened input shaft. the first two would add about $200 to the rebuild and make it very durable.

eventually it gets to be the "TH350 vs. TH400" argument, if you spend $2500 on a TH350, it is about as strong as a OTC rebuilder TH400, same goes for the 4L60E vs. 4L80E, a $2500 700R4 / 4L60E is about as strong as a good $150 wrecking yard 4L80E.

it does look good, I love the shiny billet aluminum cover.
I don't need a crazy built trans because I'm not making a super hi-po motor. by mild I mean I might be making 300 hp. keeping the smog heads (for now) since I am on a shoestring budget here. I might have $2500 in everything, parts and labor, when the motor/ trans is installed. I dont have alot of cash, and I need to get it running by march (when the plates expire)
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

safari kev

Post by safari kev »

oh- and the full size loaner I asked for- I got a new ford escape instead. its a hunk of junk. interior is covered in hard abs everywhere. not a p;lush surface anywhere. the seats are like sitting on a pleather covered rock. the stereo (ford premium) blows. the delco radio in my van is way better (and its starting to show its age.) the motor feels decent, but its nothing to write home about (where's the torque?).
on the plus side, Q.C./ fit and finish/ etc. is great. too bad the materials they are using to build it suck. I dunno, maybe I'm just used to luxo barges and vans, but I would never want to drive an escape, even if ford gave it to me. dad's E350 diesel is more comfortable and user friendly (and its a purpose built utilitarian vehicle with a very loud engine.) for $29,585 (priced it out on ford's site) I'd expect alot better vehicle than the escape.
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Last Friday, put a Hellwig sway bar on the back of the 05. Man it makes these vans ride and corner so much better! :supz: Saturday, hauled 8 people (including myself) to a corn maze/outdoor fun day. Last night, hauled 6 people to dinner!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Yesterday I changed the transmission filter and oil and installed a billet insert grille.
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm17 ... ?start=all
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....