What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Installed this:

Unwrapped this:

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Hey Crawler,

Those TPMS sensors look pretty low profile. The tire installers ought not have a problem with them.

Are you gonna let em hang weights on the outside of your rims?

Thanks, Jim

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

They have lead strips now that they double sticky tape to the backside for aluminum wheels. I'll nail it with some flat black along with the stem.

The sensor is fairly low profile.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Can't wait to see em mounted.

Were you able to establish communications with your sensors? It would be a pain to dismount a tire.

Jim

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I did try, but got no reading. Then I attributed it to the fact that there is no pressure to measure. But, there is a low pressure warning that didn't activate so who knows. I might mess with it a bit more before I go to get the tires mounted. I'm also going to take the monitor with me and make sure they all work before I leave the shop. Those guys have messed up my stuff before.

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

97CC
Have you considered bead balancing? I've seen many lost stick on wheel weights on the trails. Plus, when the tires shift on the rims from airing down the wheels don't need to be rebalanced. I love bead balancing.

Also, I've seen many TPMS stems get broken on the trail. Forget where I saw it, but I've seen where someone modified the sensors so they didn't have the stem, 100% internal, with a regular flexible rubber stem to inflate the tire.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

ihatemybike wrote:I've seen where someone modified the sensors so they didn't have the stem, 100% internal, with a regular flexible rubber stem to inflate the tire.
Could the dyna beads take out sensors on the inside of the tire? I realize they are more or less still once you get going, but every stop and start, could it damage an internal sensor or knock it off?
Obviously the external hazards could be worse. Lottsa hard core 4wheelrs round here use BBs, or those .22 caliber airsoft pellets, and they have a formula to weigh out the right amount for any tire.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

Off-Topic
the beads are individually so light that the impact for of each bead in minimal.

ihatemybike: the tpms sensors i have are flexible rubber similar to the normal valve stem we had a terrible problem with corrosion around the stem seal so manufacturers switched but to rubber as a solution

On-topic: 98,97 missed them and planned more mods can't wait to drive again this walking everywhere is getting old and my pants don't with right anymore lol :muhaha:
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I don't think corrosion will be an issue for me since the stem is aluminum and the wheel is also, so no electrolytic action. I will also be painting the stem black.

The thing that worries me about the beads the most (aside from impact) is if they create any dust or small debris. The sensors have tiny little pores for the air to enter and press against the diaphragm or whatever. If those got clogged up who knows what would happen. The instructions for the TPMS say to clean out the inside of the tire before installation so it must be an issue. If the beads stay whole then it may work. Covering the pores would probably throw off the measurement.

I have also seen TPMS that look like a "feminine napkin" that hug the center of the rim and stick on with tape. I think most OEM applications have something like that. Maybe it's better.

It would take some odd shaped rock or stump to shear off my stem. Gotta get past those 1.5" lugs first!

Uhhhh lets see....

I used my van to cart about 20 gallons of used motor oil and tranny fluid to O'Reilly this morning. I just left it in front of the door. I'm not too fond of those idiots that work in there. Last time I was in there the guy was ringing me up, seconds from handing me a receipt but then took a phone call and made me wait 20 minutes while he looked up parts. No kidding. They can dump the oil in the tank for me this time around.

infinite.chris
I get chills without my van.

Post by infinite.chris »

Brought her home today, she runs a little loud (rear Exhaust) and the inside is pretty spartan, but I feel it gives me more room to work.

Had to sit in the auditorium-style rear seats and just soak it in. Yup. Good times, and it's been far too long ^^
[SCRUFFY 95 RWD Astro Cargo :: 227k ]

------------------------------------------------

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Today I ordered spring perches, U-Bolts, saddle plates, shock tabs and a winch carrier from Ballistic Fabrication. Then I ordered some leaf spring clips, spring pads and an assortment of spring bolts from 4WheelParts. As soon as that stuff arrives I think I will have everything I need to lift my van a few more inches and slap on my 33's!

Krank88
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Krank88 »

I went to remove my power steering hose but when I got out my box end wrenches, they did not include a 16mm or an 18mm(5mm to 19mm). Guess which two remove the power steering hose. Autozone had a nice 16/18mm flare nut wrench which made the hose easy to remove. Getting the new one on is another story.
88 astro high top Sherrod conversion, Rebuilt 4.3z

krsowles
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by krsowles »

Took off steering wheel to replace turn signal switch and cancelling cam? You know, all the innards! Kept thinking, this job not too bad...Still has no steering wheel and I may have added some tools to my collection in the woods. I hate my temper sometimes! Apparantly when they say you need special tools, they mean more than 3 different styles of vise grips. Tomorrow I'll borrow, build or (gulp) buy a tool to compress innards so I can put spring clip back in and bolt on steering wheel.

](*,)
Sometimes, I realize that I'm clueless...Man, I hate those moments!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD
1991 Chevy Astro AWD(retired)

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Wrestled with a 60ml syringe and a bottle of TCW3 at the gas pump today.

Whew, But my hands are nice and soft now.

LOLz, Jim

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I finished soldering connectors for lamps on my rack and I welded on two more tabs for antennas. One for a 3' scanner antenna and another for a 102" CB antenna with a spring mount.