What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

infinite.chris
I get chills without my van.

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by infinite.chris »

Finally got the engine back together. Fires but doesn't turn over :[

EDIT: forgot to mention. Anyone know where these two vacuum lines go? I disconnected the one that comes around toward the back and I'm clueless where it goes. it's plugged in on the upper right (pass side) on the part of the upper manifold that faces the engine.

It's not really clear from any pictures I've seen. I'm taking a couple tomorrow once it's bright. My guess is I'm having timing issues, and just need to re-align distrib.

Just itching to drive er.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (30.81 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
[SCRUFFY 95 RWD Astro Cargo :: 227k ]

------------------------------------------------

safari kev
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by safari kev »

at a little over 178k, my van decided it didn't like its wiring harness anymore. Somehow, the harness part that controls the transmission came loose from its holders (whatever holds it to underbody) and it got caught in the driveshaft and ripped the harness up. its now in 3 parts. The transmission no longer shifts out of first, I have no speedo, and the brakes are engaged all the time.
to make matters worse, I cannot find the correct harness. I looked through 30+ 4.3/4l60E vehicles in the junkyard and none of them had the correct connector for my transmission.
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
94 safari hi-top explorer limited. 132k miles.
95 ASTRO choo choo conv. RIP @115K
97 safari slx "surfin' safari" 145k miles RIP
91 safari shorty Tiara conversion. RIP
86 cadillac fleetwood brougham. 67k. It thinks its a hot rod.
83 lesabre limited. 71k miles
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Ouch! That stinks. Good luck on the search. I don't think I would want to buy one from GM.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Not sure if this helps, but aside from trans connectors on the driver's side I have a complete harness from a 1997.

In related news, having been evicted from my brother's house after three long years, my parts van came home, which my wife was none too happy about. Thrashed on it Saturday and Sunday, then hauled it to the scrap metal yard yesterday.

Review (price modifiers)
Bought the parts van with no usable sheet metal forward of the front doors for $225 ($50 tow dolly rental). Both front wheel hubs (-$100), front differential (-$250), oil pan (-$50), transfer case (-$150), transmission (-350) transmission crossmember (-$50) and windshield (-$100 / $85 install) all transferred into Grumpy. Interior and universal Class III hitch waiting for transfer into Grumpy. Rear hatch being prepped for installation into Green. All windows and doors removed to be listed for sale on CL. Hydro-boost system removed to be listed on CL/eBay. Rather clean rocker panels claimed and cut out by Mr_Roboto (Alex). Flat towed to scrap yard, ending weight 2040 lbs @ $0.085 per lbs = $173.40.

The way I see it, thus far I'm $863.40 ahead with more parts to finish transferring/selling.

Side note: Green with the rear seat removed and a set of new shocks, an extra front bumper, tow bar and a dorm room fridge in the back, with 3/4 tank of gas weighed 4820 lbs.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

ihatemybike wrote:Not sure if this helps, but aside from trans connectors on the driver's side I have a complete harness from a 1997.

In related news, having been evicted from my brother's house after three long years, my parts van came home, which my wife was none too happy about. Thrashed on it Saturday and Sunday, then hauled it to the scrap metal yard yesterday.

Review (price modifiers)
Bought the parts van with no usable sheet metal forward of the front doors for $225 ($50 tow dolly rental). Both front wheel hubs (-$100), front differential (-$250), oil pan (-$50), transfer case (-$150), transmission (-350) transmission crossmember (-$50) and windshield (-$100 / $85 install) all transferred into Grumpy. Interior and universal Class III hitch waiting for transfer into Grumpy. Rear hatch being prepped for installation into Green. All windows and doors removed to be listed for sale on CL. Hydro-boost system removed to be listed on CL/eBay. Rather clean rocker panels claimed and cut out by Mr_Roboto (Alex). Flat towed to scrap yard, ending weight 2040 lbs @ $0.085 per lbs = $173.40.

The way I see it, thus far I'm $863.40 ahead with more parts to finish transferring/selling.

Side note: Green with the rear seat removed and a set of new shocks, an extra front bumper, tow bar and a dorm room fridge in the back, with 3/4 tank of gas weighed 4820 lbs.
Guess you did better than me just taking the LT to scrap. I got $565.00 for it. Reminded me how heavy these vans are. Sure would like once a month to buy one from the impound auction lot and turn it in for scrap. That would be easy money.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

safari kev

Post by safari kev »

vans back on the road (after $120 in GM parts and $150 in labor). I could have done it myself, but I didn't have the time and desperately needed my van back in a hurry.
When I was at the GM dealer (in alton illinois, because none of the STL dealers had the part (and were somewhat rude about it... every one said nope... we don't have it. its discontinued...bye)
the guy at the counter could not find the harness parts in the picture of the transmission for a 2000 van (the harness the computer showed was completely different than mine, but it looked like the rest of the harnesses I saw in the junkyard). He was able (since I brought in the old harness) to look up the parts by comparing the parts to images in their database.
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

safari kev

Post by safari kev »

heard from my mechanic....my caddys "new" motor (115k mile '87 truck motor) runs and sounds great. Its also insanely loud since its running open headers right now (exhaust system should be going on in the next week or 2)
bad news is the new trans from BTO is leaking like a sieve out of the drain pan plug seal and seal around the TC lockup connector. We'll see how good the warranty on it is since it was supposedly installed in a car and tested prior to me receiving it.
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

safari kev

Post by safari kev »

also, i took my van on a trip to the junkyard to pick up some trim for my 83 lesabre (alot of the chrome has hail damage even though the car is straight save 3 dimples in the hood)
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

sidecar53

Post by sidecar53 »

Had the trans serviced and a tranny cooler good for up to 18,000 lbs installed. Changed the air filter, too. Now I'm not worried that towing my little 2,800 lb Microlite trailer is gonna hurt anything. Got this week off and the last week in September- I'm going camping! \:D/
Windsor, Ontario
2004 GMC Safari SLE

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Nice! All I did was remove the front diff and tore it down in preparation for 4.10 gears.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

BBSig
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by BBSig »

Changed my starter and found out the intake manifold is leaking.
Barry
2002 Astro AWD

photo_van
I sleep in my van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

not so much as "today", but the last month, put this stuff in:
_MG_9422.jpg
new suspension, Truetrac and 4.10's
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

SnoDrtRider

Post by SnoDrtRider »

More of what I did "for" my van today rather than with or to...

Went to the local boneyard and picked up a spare DRAC/VSS to do the dip switch mod to so I have my original for a spare just in case things go wrong. Also picked up a scuff guard for the gas pedal at the engine box. My old one was cracked and once in a while it would catch the edge of my boot preventing me from releasing the accelerator... I figured that was not a good thing.
Local Radio Shack does not stock 6 position dips so I have to order them on line.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Spent a little time on the front diff setup today. I should finish up tomorrow and will add pics.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

I found my bedside rattle and the hammer that went walkabout last month on Wednesday. If it stops raining today I'll weld up the three 3/8"scope holes and the retrieval door. Once the sprayin bed linner is done one shouldn't be able to tell.
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm17 ... ?start=all
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....