What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

With shipping it was just under $110. They listed 2 different wire sets. I got the cheaper ones. Both were listed as correct on AC Delco's website. The cheaper was OE and the other professional. Not sure what the difference is. :-k
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

safari kev
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by safari kev »

Dropped off safari at mechanics. He fixed the broken wire for the power lock on the drivers door, replaced the power window motor, fixed the melted connector for the blower motor, and tried to fix the rear AC fan box (it would have helped if I got the right box...it was an inch too tall :facepalm: ).
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
94 safari hi-top explorer limited. 132k miles.
95 ASTRO choo choo conv. RIP @115K
97 safari slx "surfin' safari" 145k miles RIP
91 safari shorty Tiara conversion. RIP
86 cadillac fleetwood brougham. 67k. It thinks its a hot rod.
83 lesabre limited. 71k miles
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I've developed a very visible lean to the driver's side. It looks like there's still a few turns left on the torsion adjuster bolt, so I hopefully it can be fixed, but I don't understand why it's happening more on one side. Could having the weight of a toolbox, a deep-cycle battery and the driver there could wear down the suspension unevenly? Is it because right-hand turns are sharper than left-hand turns? :-k

SnoDrtRider
I get chills without my van.

Post by SnoDrtRider »

2012-11-19_12-28-31_563.jpg
Wasn't exactly today but...
As we were arriving at camp on Sunday at the end of a 350+ mile drive I slow down at the last turn to go up the hill to camp and feel a slight hesitation. As I slow again to turn in our drive I think I feel it again.
We unload the van and later I move it out of the way... No problem.

Next morning (Monday) we had some errands to run so while I'm waiting for my wife I start the van to warm it up. The fuel pump is moaning and screaming like a banshee! I turn the truck off and cycle the key just to hear the pump and it sounds BAD! I decide we are going nowhere including driving back home in a week without the pump being replaced.
I call the local garage... a good mom & pop shop that has always helped me before. He says he's jammed until Wednesday and drop it off in the morning.
I decide to help him out and siphon as much as the 1/2 tank of fuel out as possible. While that is happening I decide to spray the bolts, etc. with WD-40 so they can soak for the two days before he gets the van.
I started poking around and found the bolts clean and easy to break free so I just kept going. Meantime I call a friend of mine who I know is in the area at his camp... sure enough he's in town picking up some supplies! I ask him to grab a pump kit, the strainer/sock and a new main fuel filter. By the time he shows up at 1PM with the parts I have the tank out and ready for the new pump.

The 3" lift sure made working under the truck easier and the rocker was just high enough to clear the tank while sliding it out.

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by H2OJoe »

That's awesome 'Rider! Way to take charge of the situation. :cheers:
So it's not that big of a deal to replace the fuel pump/filter? I had that done a couple of years ago and it cost $$$.
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.

markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Well yesterday I broke down and sent my van to a friends auto repair shop, I ran out of time winter is upon us and I could not get it timed by myself. So I should be back on the road soon. This is the first time since I got my license 30+ years ago that I have sent my vehicle to a shop with the exception of a transmission shop about 16 years ago.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

SnoDrtRider
I get chills without my van.

Post by SnoDrtRider »

H2OJoe wrote:That's awesome 'Rider! Way to take charge of the situation. :cheers:
So it's not that big of a deal to replace the fuel pump/filter? I had that done a couple of years ago and it cost $$$.
Not bad if you have a fairly rust free vehicle... the only thing that was really bad looking was the line connections so I left them alone and lowered the tank as much as possible and spun the lock ring that holds the pump/sending unit in the tank to release the unit from the tank with the lines still connected. I let the pump hang there on the lines while I lowered the tank the rest of the way slowly as i pulled the pump out of the tank.
You should also know know that I am a (former) ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech so I have done this a few times previously on many different vehicles but never laying on the ground.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Did a tune-up with all AC Delco parts...new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Also did a lube, oil and filter and rotated the tires. I hope to report next week I am getting better than 12.5 mpg! ](*,)
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Actually yesterday, but helped my Mom get a Christmas tree!

-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Your van looks awesome James! Just needs chrome trim ring on the wheels. :supz:
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I agree..........van looks terrific. Put some trim rings on those wheels.
http://autodetailcompany.com/products/TRIMRINGS.aspx
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

Thanks guys, but actually it does have trim rings! I know they're hard to see in those shots because of the lighting, especially if you're expecting chrome rings. I took a better picture for you.

We didn't like the chrome, so we had them powdercoated gloss black. I hope you like them, but we'll still be friends if you don't.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

From a distance and in the shadows the black ones don't show up very well. The close up shot looks pretty good. I still prefer the chrome ones. :poke: :muhaha:
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Well looky there. They look nice but I prefer the chrome also. Chrome sets off the wheels better. I really like the wheels. Color matching them with the van was a great idea.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

MobileCustoms
I am smitten with my van

Post by MobileCustoms »

Well we had a big snow storm here in Minnesota over the weekend and I hit a cement barrier/divider with my van and did some damage. ](*,)

Been working on it the last couple of nights to fix it back up. \ Bent the left front rim and snapped the stabilizer link, damaged the front bumper cover and reiforcement, buckled the fender a bit and when I deflected off the wall, it caught my back 1/4 panel just a little bit by the taillight and also tore off my rear bumper cover, which I wasn't aware of til the next morning. I did this at about 2:30 in the morning on my way home from a gig with my band. There was no avoiding it, it was just that slippery on that particular corner. Thankfully, I was only going about 15 mph or it would have been much worse.

Found a used rim for $17 and got everything repaired and painted last night. Still looking for a rear bumper cover, if anyone has one for cheap???
I have a set of 15 inch chrome trim rings to trade or sell if anyone might be interested as well. I took them off as they were the only pieces of chrome left showing after I wrapped the van.
Will print and re-wrap the damaged areas tomorrow and should be good to go.

D'oh!
:withstupid:
CameraZOOM-20121209140654101.jpg
CameraZOOM-20121210160804445.jpg
CameraZOOM-20121210191206009.jpg
CameraZOOM-20121210193400641.jpg
mobilecustomsvan.jpg
1995 Astro AWD
174,000 miles and counting
Mobile Customs - Vehicle Wraps, Signs & Graphics
http://www.MobileCustoms.com
Facebook Page:http://www.Facebook.com/MobileCustoms