What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Slicky wrote:Spent the day cleaning up the van after a week of exploring Van Isle. Btw thanks to the Cowichan Van Man for the tip about J&V's , great burgers and cool atmosphere. :)
Yup, J & Vs makes an awesome halibut burger ! and the decor is way cool !

Anyways, today I used my van to help my oldest son move out into his own first place so he can start college tomorrow morning !!
It feels weird that he is gone !
Attachments
20140901_122741.jpg
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Empty nest? I remember that and not fondly either. The feeling passes, they come back to visit bring the grandkids and when they go home your glad for the quiet.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'93 cargo, work in progress

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

UVic?
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

T.Low wrote:UVic?
Camosun / Interurban

Meterpig
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Meterpig »

I completed a 360 turn (commonly known as a "doughnut" in an empty dirt lot covered in 6 inches of snow. A 360 you say with AWD? Oh yes, Transfer case #2 is now no longer serving up any AWD other than the "service AWD" light. Yes...lovely. I am getting quite good and drifting turns.

Clutch is most likely toast and/or motor. Love the NP136 (actually no...love/hate it). Love the fact that I can turn it off...hate that it's a wear item. Debating rebuilding the OTHER NP136 in my garage or biting the bullet and picking up the BW4472. Ah....decisions...decisions.

Also, I did JB weld my new to me grill (old one finally fell apart). And..oh yes, tossed the oil cooler hoses. What a piece of garbage those things are. I have better oil pressure now and no leaks. Amazing! The oil cooler will be retrofitted again for summer.

The heater only intermittently works..turns out GM fubared that design as well. So that needs to be fixed...oh well...cheaper than a Sienna!
What do you think of my quest to swap transfer cases to the venerable BW4472?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9962

Photos including tear down for intake gaskets (PITA)
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSjRG/i-bHzD6cz

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

where do you live Meterpig? I've got a 4472 w/90k out in the shed.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Meterpig

Post by Meterpig »

Good ol Denver.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

blacknome wrote:still have that dist cap on my desk :)

Today gonna change the oil, head down London way for a delivery then hopefully later this afternoon see if it will pass the emissions test [-o<

hmm van would not start after working late last night. It would crank and crank and crank then sputter. So I got a lift up to Uhaul so at least I had wheels today.

This morning I pulled my no-name cap and rotor that I installed in Jan 08 or Jan 09 and it looks pretty bad. Warming back up again now ( -5 c / 24 ish F ) then will go back out and install the new cap and rotor. I also have a CPS on-order if she still doesn't fire. I lent my scanner to a friend who's working an hour or so out of town today so I gotta throw the most likely parts at it.

When cranking over I was getting a really weak bluish yellow spark so I think the Cap and Rotor may get it running again.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

well the cap and rotor made the spark a little better but still no fire. Swapped out the Crankshaft Position Sensor ( figured mine is org with over 200k km and dirty as hell ) but still no fire. Keep in mind I am doing this at work between phone calls and loading trucks LOL
After lunch I pulled one of the plugs expecting they were fouled and it looked OK but it was dry as could be......... then the ah-ha moment of the local village idiot. I slid under the van and gave the fuel tank a couple good thumps. Hit the key and it started like always ! With all that cranking the plugs should have been fouled and smell of gas !

You know what, I had fueled up the van to the brim on the way to work yesterday and even ran it thru the carwash. Drove less than 1 kms from the gas station to work so there is no bloody way I am pulling a full fuel tank by myself with no lift or even a garage so I cut a deal with my mechanic. 2 hours labour ( $90 / hr ) and I supply the pump ( $300 cdn for the Bosche unit from a local jobber). Best thing is he is on the other side of the parking lot at work so I can walk over and pick it up when its done and get out of this $80.00 / day rental van.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

=D> glad that worked out for you Bkn. It's a shame you couldn't have found it up front but at least those things you did were needed items anyway.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'93 cargo, work in progress

Meterpig

Post by Meterpig »

blacknome wrote:well the cap and rotor made the spark a little better but still no fire. Swapped out the Crankshaft Position Sensor ( figured mine is org with over 200k km and dirty as hell ) but still no fire. Keep in mind I am doing this at work between phone calls and loading trucks LOL
After lunch I pulled one of the plugs expecting they were fouled and it looked OK but it was dry as could be......... then the ah-ha moment of the local village idiot. I slid under the van and gave the fuel tank a couple good thumps. Hit the key and it started like always ! With all that cranking the plugs should have been fouled and smell of gas !

You know what, I had fueled up the van to the brim on the way to work yesterday and even ran it thru the carwash. Drove less than 1 kms from the gas station to work so there is no bloody way I am pulling a full fuel tank by myself with no lift or even a garage so I cut a deal with my mechanic. 2 hours labour ( $90 / hr ) and I supply the pump ( $300 cdn for the Bosche unit from a local jobber). Best thing is he is on the other side of the parking lot at work so I can walk over and pick it up when its done and get out of this $80.00 / day rental van.
He did it for 2 hours labor? That's pretty good. I was gonna say..just cut a hole in floor and swap it that way. Wish I did mine that way. I dropped the tank and all that. What a pain...

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

been swamped with work, no time to reply. I got the van back later than anticipated Friday night. I knew I had a hole clamp leaking after my "patch" job last spring but once he had it on the hoist he called me over for an inspection. At each metal joint in the rear heat lines they were brittle / soft and some were leaking small amounts of fluid. They had to cut back to under the passenger seat before they could get something solid to tie back in to. They called around for a replacement set of lines and the cheapest he found was $375 and 2 days for delivery ( I did a quick search and came up with nothing ) so we decided to patch it up instead of clamping it off.
So now I got the van back and its COLD outside !! Doghouse is being held back on with 2 / 4 bolts and the Passenger Seat is still setting on its side in the back but at least I am driving. It ran like crap on the way home Friday ( pinging under load ) but once I swapped back in the old Crankshaft Position Sensor Saturday morning it ran fine again

Hopefully some day this week it will warm up enough that I can get it all back together as driving a 1 seat van full of tools and loose stuff kinda sucks !

Southerngunner
I am merely driving my van

Post by Southerngunner »

I had 2 new 225/75/15 installed on the front end =D>
Of all the stuff that I have lost I miss my mind the most.

Southerngunner

Post by Southerngunner »

Today I replaced the thermostat the Radiator cap and drained and refilled the antifreeze. The temp gauge never got above 125 so I was sure the t-stat was stuck open #-o , It was and now the van warms up like it should and the temp gauge reads correctly. :cheers: :cheers:
Of all the stuff that I have lost I miss my mind the most.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

I smiled at them all as I rode past them on my green KLR650, again, poor ol vans :)