What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by LaGrasta »

I bought 3 feet of oil cooler line and finally replaced my leaking oil cooler lines yesterday, May 3rd.

First, these lines are removed so very easy, I was impressed with the attachment to the radiator, what an easy set up. I'm not sure why it doesn't leak, but it doesn't.

After cutting off the compression fittings, again much easier than I originally thought. The aluminum can almost be torn off. After I Removed the old rubber hoses, I cleaned them very well and slip the new 1/2 inch line over the cleaned ends and tightened the clamps and reinstalled. I added 5 new quarts of synthetic and a new oil filter and tested it, not a single drop.

I completely cleaned the engine bay with Simple Green™ and brake cleaner for the really tough stuff. After another test drive I confirmed what I already new, rear main seal is leaking. My plan is to let it leak until the trans dies and repair it when the tranny is already out. I hope it doesn't get any worse.

I drove it to work today, my wife usually drive it but I wanted to really test the new lines for leaks. I did freeway speeds as fast as 85mph for 20 miles and again, no leaks. so far, so good.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

astrozam wrote:Let us know how that lens restore kit works Rob.
will do Keith.... I never got to it yesterday.

ended up working around the house until 9pm last night ... i did manage to get the 3rd row seat back in and most of my tools back into the shed/house/car. i skipped re-installing the carpet though. going to have to locate some cheap underpad first, it's is 3/4 falling off the carpet .. :cry:
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

I started working on the front end, but am debating where to start. Tie-rods need to be done as do the upper and lower B-joints. Right now I have it up on stands supporting the front sub-frame, and one stand under the drivers side control arm. The front brakes don't look too bad, still have some life in them. The sway bar has those cracks at both ends, so I need to do that as well (GREAT).

I started cleaning up all the crap so I could see what I was doing, and then I thought I would grab some degreaser and clean up the mess the oil that had been leaking from the oil cooler lines had made (couldn't find the degreaser although i know I have some) once I find that I have to decide what to start with. Any suggestions?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

d3athm3talh3ad
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

i would fix the leaks first, so the oils won't tear up the replacement rubber components...and i would do the balljoints and tie rods at the same time, so when you get an alignment, you only have to do it once...other than that, tackle a part at a time as money allows...

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Thanks. I removed the engine oil cooler lines like Astrozam did a while back, but there was still a lot of oil on the various steering components, power washed got rid of that. The one upper BJ is sort of done. In, tightened, but not greased.

Also ordered front shocks (kyb gas-a-just) and a window motor.
Jim

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

LaGrasta, I recommend changing both of those quick connect fittings. I know they dont last after changing the lines, the spring looses its strength. I found out the hard way, dumped all 4 quarts on the road about a half a mile away from home. The dealer stocks the whole fitting, maybe aftermarket has just the clip. But they will fail! (At least they did for me and dont want you to get stranded!)

Scott

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

thanks for the warning sfeaver. I've been keeping an eye on the lines and with nearly 100 miles, still not a drop nor any weeping. I really think I'm good to go.
As far as replacing the lines, i see the entire unit for less than $100. Replacing only the rubber portion is my attempt to save some money. If they do start to leak or actually fail like you state, I'll replace the entire unit.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Today I continued working on the ball-joints/brakes. Took off the calipers, took off the rotor, removed the splash guard, and separated the outer tie-rod from the ball-joint. I ran into a problem with the inner tie-rod because I didn't notice one of the nuts had come off my two-jaw puller and ended up bending a part of it. I think I will see if I can get a different puller from the loan a tool at Canadian tire tomorrow as working on separating the inner tie-rod ate up so much time that I didn't get the lower ball-joint separated, but I was figuring some measuring and assembling of the inner/outer tie-rods with the adjuster sleeve would have been a handy sitting in the garage task when the rain comes. Not to be. If I had not done that I would have the lower BJ separated and pressed out I am sure. At this point I am sure the other side will go faster. I am now at the point of looking at all the stuff taken apart and wonder if will get it back together. Oh, the new front shocks arrived today (KYB Gas-adjusts). Not bad not even two days from order to arrival. I am still waiting for the power window motor which I ordered at the same time but it was shipped purolator not UPS.
Jim

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Green: Put it's ignition coil back in, start it up, and let it run for 5 minutes.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I got the stripped bolts holding the upper ball joint out, put new ones in, and removed the cotter pin from the lower ball joint with a bit of creative drill work. Got stymied at that point by not having the 28-29mm socket for the lower ball-joint nut although the new one is just that little bit smaller so my largest socket fits.

Go figure. I am taking care of my son today and could have gotten some work done, but can't today because of one nut. I thought of disassembling the other side, and as tempting as it is, I sort of like keeping it together so I can use it as a template putting stuff back together. I did a bit of reading on doing the rear drums and examined how to get the front shocks out. I still don't see how to get a wrench in there, at least with enough torque to get the rusted nut off. Maybe I will have to get creative.

Oh, the power window motor arrived today. So other than the stuff for the rear brakes, the socket and a new puller to get the rest of the tie-rods and stuff separated, I am good to go.
Jim

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

you sir have been a busy man
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Got the socket and a few other things I needed and arrived home at 9PM. Removed the nut, was going to separate the Ball joint, but found it too difficult to do in the dark. So maybe tomorrow morning.
Jim

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I hauled 24 bales of straw on a trailer and distributed them around the yard. I love AWD. Now I can grow grass.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

drove home from work in strange weather got ready to install weather stripping then find out they only shipped ONE SIDE.... time to make a phone call
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Cobra wrote:drove home from work in strange weather got ready to install weather stripping then find out they only shipped ONE SIDE.... time to make a phone call
Where did you order the weather stripping from? The online place mentioned in the post about dutch door weather stripping or somewhere else? If the online place, any unexpected fees with shipping or did it come USPS?
Jim