What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by Rileysowner »

So far today, R & R the lower ball joint and re-attached the spindle. Tried to get the shock upper bolt off, no success. Going to take off tie-rods in a minute and put the new ones together. Maybe even install. It started spitting, so I thought I would come in for a few minutes in hopes that it would stop.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

d3athm3talh3ad
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

started to bolt some exhaust manifolds on then rain started again for the 10th day in a row...gave up and went down the road to see how much the rivers and creeks have risen...

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Grumpy: Mobile shop for Jeep (mostly Liberty) gathering.

Random person, "Hey does anybody have this?"

Reply, "Yeah, I got that in Grumpy"

Every time I bring Grumpy to a Jeep gathering it make me want to hurry up and get it lifted, but other things need attended to first.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

Rileysowner wrote:
Cobra wrote:drove home from work in strange weather got ready to install weather stripping then find out they only shipped ONE SIDE.... time to make a phone call
Where did you order the weather stripping from? The online place mentioned in the post about dutch door weather stripping or somewhere else? If the online place, any unexpected fees with shipping or did it come USPS?
yep usps there was a 21.43 charge at the post office but i expected that and it was from trademotion
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

LaGrasta wrote:I bought 3 feet of oil cooler line and finally replaced my leaking oil cooler lines yesterday, May 3rd.

First, these lines are removed so very easy, I was impressed with the attachment to the radiator, what an easy set up. I'm not sure why it doesn't leak, but it doesn't.

After cutting off the compression fittings, again much easier than I originally thought. The aluminum can almost be torn off. After I Removed the old rubber hoses, I cleaned them very well and slip the new 1/2 inch line over the cleaned ends and tightened the clamps and reinstalled. I added 5 new quarts of synthetic and a new oil filter and tested it, not a single drop.

I completely cleaned the engine bay with Simple Green™ and brake cleaner for the really tough stuff. After another test drive I confirmed what I already new, rear main seal is leaking. My plan is to let it leak until the trans dies and repair it when the tranny is already out. I hope it doesn't get any worse.

I drove it to work today, my wife usually drive it but I wanted to really test the new lines for leaks. I did freeway speeds as fast as 85mph for 20 miles and again, no leaks. so far, so good.

UPDATE: This repair works super, no leaks. It's almost strange to look in the garage and see no drops of oil anymore. I didn't realize all this time those stupid rubber lines was responsible for all the leaks. Anyway, we have hundreds of miles on them now and not a drop! This was a very satisfying $12 repair!
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

gave up and went down the road to see how much the rivers and creeks have risen...
:-k ANNNNNNNND,,are ya not back yet ? Wonder if she's swamped. :yawinkle:

As for me,,to much company this weekend,,,went down to the shop and cranked it up for a few minutes,,,yep doing good,,must have at least 4 hours on the motor in, what / 7 years.lol
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

d3athm3talh3ad
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

ANNNNNNNND,,are ya not back yet ? Wonder if she's swamped.
lol! not swamped...unless a dam breaks or the water tower on the hill does, i'm pretty safe from flooding...the river down the road was a different story, cresting at 32 foot...lots of slides and downed trees, had to take a few back roads (aka 1/2 lane road)...had company sunday after their hollow got dug out...

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Today I soldered together the ABS speed sensor wires, and covered them with heat shrink tubing. Whoever thought that two white wires, one with an occasional black dot and the other all white was a good idea should be shot. I was hoping this would go quickly, but my soldering irons are too wimpy and really need to be replaced with something with more power. I also reinstalled the splash shield on the drivers side. Finally, I took off the shocks. I was hoping to get the new ones installed before we had to leave, but with breaking the clips of two of the lower nuts, I had to cut off the bolt heads and need to get new j-nuts and new bolts to be able to install.
Jim

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I got started later than I wanted, but got some work done this morning. Packed bearings, installed bearings, new rotor, new pads and mounted caliper on the driver's side. Ordered new nuts and bolts to mount the shocks. Only the dealer carried them around here and he had to order them in. They will be in tomorrow. I started tearing down the passenger's side, and got a fair amount done including separating the upper ball joint, but only have two rivets removed. Now I have to clean up the tools and eat. I may get to do some more this evening, but I am not counting on it as it will probably be dark by the time I get back. I was really hoping to get the whole spindle off this morning, but that was not going to happen.
Jim

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Evening Update:

After getting home from my meeting at about 8:30PM, I started back on the van.

Completed:

Removed rivet heads from passenger's side upper ball joint, knocked out rivets, and separated it from the steering knuckle.
Slide the splash shield off off to give better access to the lower ball-joint.
Removed tie-rods on the passenger's side.
Removed separated lower ball joint and then pressed it out.

It got dark so I stopped.

That means what I have left to do is:
Press in the lower ball joint (Yeah! Then I can return the press and get the deposit I left to borrow it back.)
Mount the upper ball joint.
Re-installs splash shield, put on ball joint nuts and tighten to torque specs and grease.
Install new tie-rods, the ones on this side were in much worse condition than the other side.
Install shocks
Pack bearing and install hub/rotor
Install new pads and re-attach caliper.
Take it to get aligned.
Do rear brakes.
Jim

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

dang Jim, haven't seen you post this much about working on your van....ever. It's almost like you been studying and cramming for months and then Boom, time to go to work. :supz:
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

chesehd
I get chills without my van.

Post by chesehd »

Replaced a leaking set of oil cooler lines.

Back in the saddle...and on da road!
Ken

2003 AWD
Back in the saddle on a new horse!

A lot of money is tainted: 'Taint yours, and 'taint mine.

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

kings-x59 wrote:dang Jim, haven't seen you post this much about working on your van....ever. It's almost like you been studying and cramming for months and then Boom, time to go to work. :supz:
That is about right. I was just commenting to my wife that in a day or so I will have completely rebuilt the front end of the van. If someone said I would do that even 6 years back, I would have said they are crazy. Thanks to ASV.com I was willing to try, and discovered that with a good manual and a good set of tools, one can do most of the work on their vehicle. I'm just hoping the experience with the rear drums on the mazda will help me get through them quicker on the Safari. Only tools I am missing to do that is the tool to remove the hold down springs, and the adjuster tool. First get the front done.
Jim

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

you'll get the drums done no problem. snap a few pics right after you pull the drum...any confusion later you have a point of reference. The tool for adjusting you won't really need when rebuilding, but it will come in handy later if the adjuster sticks and they stop self adjusting.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

kings-x59 wrote:you'll get the drums done no problem. snap a few pics right after you pull the drum...any confusion later you have a point of reference. The tool for adjusting you won't really need when rebuilding, but it will come in handy later if the adjuster sticks and they stop self adjusting.
What about the 'Brake Restraining Spring Tool?" On the Mazda all I needed were my needle nose vice-grips, but for the Safari Haynes goes right to that tool. I don't mind getting it, but if i do, I would rather get a whole set Princess Auto has that includes adjusters as well. That, however, requires a trip out of town.

Oh, as to what I did with my van today, I got the upper and lower ball-joints installed, and the splash shield re-mounted. Now to pack bearings and get the brakes done.
Jim