Possible fuel pump failure?

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Possible fuel pump failure?

Post by ihatemybike »

Been using the van as my daily driver for several months now and Grumpy is still running happily on the $30 rebuild pump. Very happy with the results so far, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again on a vehicle that usually stays within my AAA free towing distance.

My better distance vans will continue to get ACDelco/Delphi pumps.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

ihatemybike wrote:Been using the van as my daily driver for several months now and Grumpy is still running happily on the $30 rebuild pump. Very happy with the results so far, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again on a vehicle that usually stays within my AAA free towing distance.

My better distance vans will continue to get ACDelco/Delphi pumps.
Based on your original post you are getting close to a year on the cheap rebuild. I'm asking because I was thinking it is cheap enough to order just to keep on hand so if/when the fuel pump ever goes, I have a quick backup while waiting for a new one to arrive. Of course if I was able to figure out a way to do an external pump . . .
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I don`t mean to piss on your fire Riley, But I would NEVER fit a 30 dollar pump to my van. And I recommend that no one else does, unless they don`t drive more than 1 mile from their house with full AAA membership.

I don`t mean to be rude, > jus` brutally honest.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

To each their own I guess. I figure a $30 pump can sit on a shelf in my basement allowing me to get the van running while I wait for a new pump. Sorry, up here in Canada the best price I have found on a pump locally is in the $700 range. That means I would be ordering one online, and rather than having the van down an out while it is shipped up from South of the border, a $30 pump that would get the van running seems a reasonable stop gap. It is not like I would be looking at it as a permanent solution, simply a way to get things running while I wait.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I wouldn't recommend the $30 pump rebuild for hauling a young family around, long distance driving, business use, or if you don't repair you van yourself.

For local running around in a beater van, the pump is great and at that price I can live with swapping out the pump once a year if needed.

Jim makes a good case for having the rebuild laying around. It's cheap enough to keep on hand and if it never gets used you don't feel too bad about it.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86