What's after Safari/Astro vans???

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

moboman
I get chills without my van.

Re: What's after Safari/Astro vans???

Post by moboman »

97TurboAstro wrote:
Someone wrote:... take an import for a drive... you never know you may be impressed...
You can go on and on about how resale values are higher, but if you buy a vehicle and drive it 'til it's dead, you won't get twice as many miles out of an import.
My dad always claimed that you paid twice as much for it, for the resale to be twice as much.

Also, I dont know what it is, but import vans seem smaller inside than a van like the olds or the chevy venture.

I'd recommend something like a trailblazer. I dont know what kind of fuel econ numbers they get, though.

wkw94astro
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by wkw94astro »

1. Search hard for a low mileage Astro/Safari (My wife may be driving these things FOREVER!) :D

2. Buick Enclave: :prayer:
Awesome (don't check the price).

wkw94astro
2004 Astro (donated the '94)
1986 Jeep CJ7
1964 Ford Ranchero

st4s
I am smitten with my van

Post by st4s »

The Transit is available since last fall with a 5cyl. 3.2l 200hp turbodiesel,
BUT unfortunately officially only starting with the middle-length wheelbase (there are 3 size options), which makes it 5.23m long overall.
That's about 16" longer than a A/S.
And it's RWD only.
-Frank-
ImageImageImage
07 Dodge Nitro SLT, LPG, 93l propane tank
06 Moto Morini Corsaro 1200
94 Astro AWD 2" Overland Lift, LPG, 95l propane tank
93 Honda VFR750
82 Vespa 135cc

Berlin, Germany

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Spike99 wrote:My current 2001 AWD Safari van has lived its life. After having 2 + Safaris and been driving 3 of them at work, don't want another Safari/Astro van again. Time to move onto something different. A vehicle replacement for 2 adults +3 kids, something that gets better MPGs, something thats easier to park between the parking lines. Targeting for 2 WD with 2+1 "removable" rows of seats. 3rd row with 1 removable seat would be perfect. Hopefully, something that can tow more then 3,000 lbs. FWD is ok but if given a choice, I'd like to stay with RWD - for my towing needs. From your perspective, what's a good Safari/Astro "van like" replacement?

thanks.

we love the Fiancee's '04 Murano. But we have an F150 for towing, and no kids yet. I think Tahoe, Durango, but none of the suv's have the utility found in the Astro, they just have different style. Have you come up with an idea yet?
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

ScottS
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by ScottS »

I will keep driving safaris as long as I can get them

There is a beautiful red 98 wih 70k miles awd and leather for sale by me for 4500. Just can't justify it right now.
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

Topic author
Spike99

Post by Spike99 »

T.Low,

My wife & I will probably "bite the bullet" and do the needed immediate repairs on our current 2001 AWD Safari. It needs new ilder arms, alignment (due to new idler arms), muffler / tail pipe system, cruise control module, ABS sensor (currently, its ABS fuse is pulled), oil line replacement and it needs power door lock buttom. At minimum, ilders arms, alignment, muffler/tail pipe system and oil line replacements. The repair of these items are the same cost of its current trade in value. Pretty sad....

Was thinking about replacing with a used '07 Uplander/Montana ext length type vehicle. 3.9L that's FWD. For our family of 5 + 1 dog and occassional towing under 2,500 lbs needs, the 3.9L GM M-Van might be a good replacment. But, I hear bad things about the GM mini-vans. Stuff like under designed braking system (which were improved in 2007+ models), under designed front wheel bearings and odd electrical problems. The more reasearch I do, the more I realize going from one GM "bad luck" vehicle to an unproven new design GM m-van is risky. Maybe too risky. But from a size perspective, the GM Uplander/Montana with 3.9L engine is all we really need. And its improved MPG savings would lower its "TOC" (Total Operating Cost per distance driven). Perhaps we'll buy a used Uplander/Montana is 3+ years (after their reliability track record is better known).

At end of March 2008, we'll do some more TCO number crunching. In the end, we'll probably put more dollars into our current 2001 AWD Safari. "Try to breath another 3 years into it - since it doesn't have a spec of rust on it." Then, replace with a newer / small size / better MPGs mini-van. Hopefully, the "newer" mini-vans will be better built or slightly used mini-vans will have proven reliablity stats by then. Only time will tell...

Thanks for asking...

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

if I were in the market for another van right now, there are several pre-95's here in town for sale for great prices.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of my wifes 95 safari and repalcing it with an older TBI (Z) motor version. Her 95 has been a money pit but I don't want a car payment so we keep fixing it.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Good luck Spike. Hey maybe it is time to learn to do a little bit of work yourself? Those idler arms are pretty easy to put in. I put them in for my friends and it was a snap, yet I have not done mine -_- You might not need alignment but that is good to do anyways.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Topic author
Spike99

Post by Spike99 »

Update:

Note: Wanted to post an update yesterday but was having forum login problems. I accidently kept screwing up my password entry. Guess my fingers are too fat for my skinny keyboard. LOL!!!!

Anyway.... Just to advise that my wife & I decided to "re-invest" more dollars into our current 2001 AWD Safari van (instead of replacing her). Yesterday, she got 2 x idler arms (Moog brand) and a wheel alignment. On Feb 26, she's booked for E-Test and muffler piping replacement. Last week, she got new rotor, distributor cap and battery installed. Last Dec, she got new shocks and last Nov, she got new brake pads (with 2 x new front brake rotors). With this in mind, most of its common items have been replaced. As my dad says, "it should be like owning a new vehicle". Hopefully, this will the be last of her winter 2007/2008 repairs. (knock on wood!!!). Since this is our 2nd vehicle (that is only used for family "long haul" and occassion utility trailer towing trips), we can't justify paying huge monthly payments to replace her. Especially since our current van sits in our driveway 6 of the 7 days a week. Thus, we'll try to breath 2-3 more years into our current 2001 Safari van.

Many Thanks to all who replied to my above vehicle replacement inquire.

And yes, were possible I will do my own installs / repairs. Before deciding I can handle that repair task, I always get 3 different estimates from local auto shops. Then, decide if doing the task myself is worth it. She needed an alignment due to my wife "bouncing" the AWD van off the ice banks. Being an AWD, my wife sometimes "over abuses its traction" (if you know what I mean). When needed or every other year (which ever comes first), she gets an alignment. To me, $46 dollars well spent...

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

The news paper said today that Ford will import the neat little high roof , mini Sprinter van to the USA.
It is currently built in Turkey in Europe.

It has 2.1 or 2.4 liter I think 4 cylinder, and gets 19 mpg in town.

It is offered in Cargo style now .

maybe Chevy will beef up the Outlander (Venture) by adding back the AWD.
or I was thinking maybe Chevy could make a van version of the Canyon mid size pickup truck. then it could be RWD or 4WD . that could be a new Astro.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Just food for thought - I find any time a vehicle is not run much they seem to be more problematic. Same goes with our human bodies :) Have you gone for 100m dash lately? No - probably wont and you know you cant heh he. I think you get my point.

Dad's Jag sat around for a bit - it was he weekend car and problems came left and right from that day forward. Now after I have fixed it a lot he uses it as his daily driver - it runs great and doesnt have a lot of problems ... just the typical British stuff :muhaha:
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Astrophysics wrote:The news paper said today that Ford will import the neat little high roof , mini Sprinter van to the USA.
It is currently built in Turkey in Europe.

It has 2.1 or 2.4 liter I think 4 cylinder, and gets 19 mpg in town.
That would be the Ford Transit Connect, a small FWD van. Not the van we want Ford to bring over and definitely not Sprinter competition.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

My next van will be a full size. I'm thinking Chevy, or maybe a Club Wagon Ford. This is dictated by my 4 kids, 3 are boys, and they really are growing. I just wish there were AWD full size vans, or that I could afford to buy (and opperate) a Quigly 4x4.

The Safari is just getting too small, which is too bad.

dean89
I get chills without my van.

Post by dean89 »

You can get all wheel drive on the 1/2 ton fullsize express vans, just not the heavier duty ones.
ImageImageImage
1989 Astro, 3" DJM drop, 5.7 tbi
1991 Chevrolet C1500 4.3 tbi 5spd 4-6" DJM drop (brother's truck)
1983 Chevrolet K20 350/4spd, 3.5" lift w/35's

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

dean89 wrote:You can get all wheel drive on the 1/2 ton fullsize express vans, just not the heavier duty ones.
Sweet...It'll be a few years, but I'll be looking!