Add-a-Leaf Helper Springs... Questions!

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Add-a-Leaf Helper Springs... Questions!

Post by dunedog »

Frank,DL didn't really do a lift.
She installed an extra leaf in her spring kit. Kind of like overload springs for a weary rearend (like that DL :muhaha: )
There was no body lift or longer shackle installed.The pinion doesn't change although the tailshaft end of the driveshaft might a hair.
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Topic author
dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

Thanks dunedog.
Yep, after a few years, that old rear end sure drops like a dufflebag! :butthead:

Hi Stewart, & thanks for the post.
BTW, I spent more time in New England than I did in NY. But close enough. =P~
And thanks so much for the email! I'm sorry I'm a little behind (pun intended!) #-o
I'll respond tonight.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The shackle lift does change the pinion angle.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

st4s
I am smitten with my van

Post by st4s »

dunedog wrote:Frank,DL didn't really do a lift.
She installed an extra leaf in her spring kit. Kind of like overload springs for a weary rearend (like that DL :muhaha: )
There was no body lift or longer shackle installed.The pinion doesn't change although the tailshaft end of the driveshaft might a hair.
Pictures suggest that there is a kind of lift taking place by adding a leaf thereby stiffening suspension.
The body rear seems higher than before and as tran is linked to subframe which is linked to body front I don't actually understand why there should be no change in pinion angle as opposed to installing other shackles ?!

Did I get something wrong?

-Frank-
-Frank-
ImageImageImage
07 Dodge Nitro SLT, LPG, 93l propane tank
06 Moto Morini Corsaro 1200
94 Astro AWD 2" Overland Lift, LPG, 95l propane tank
93 Honda VFR750
82 Vespa 135cc

Berlin, Germany

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

The axle sits on the spring pack the same and swings as a radius from the rear of the tranny.
A spring flattens when you put a load over it,taking and distributing the weight.
The arch of the helper spring is in keeping with the OEM springs.As has been stated ,these springs fatigue and flatten over time losing their strength. So nothing has changed from the origional vehicle set up.
When you add a longer shackle at one end of the spring pac and start messing with hanger placement.it causes the axle to pitch differently. When the driveshaft and rear are no longer inline (as straight line of sight) you get problems.
There is a window of (help) a few degrees or so that the driveshaft to rear can be out of line and not be a problem.
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Topic author
dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

Thanks for explaining that Mr dunedog. I actually think I understand. (Where's that dunce smiley at?)
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

st4s wrote:
I don't actually understand why there should be no change in pinion angle as opposed to installing other shackles ?!

Did I get something wrong?

-Frank-
No, you didn't. And yesterday I actually (briefly) posted that you were wrong, but decided I needed to do some research to make sure I had my ducks in a row. And I didn't.... (I then deleted my response.)

We always talk about pinion angle and off-road guys know that keeping the pinion and transmission output angles in a stock relation (typically parallel) is the best course of action. I guess over the years I figured pinion angle was actually a measurement in relation to the ground or compared to the transmission output. Well, after reading up on it last night, the pinion angle is the angle between the driveshaft and the pinion. So yes, installing an add-a-leaf or level block DOES change the pinion angle. (I'm assuming this was your point.)

But, it seems the pinion angle is only one concern, and from an off-road point of view is secondary to keeping the transmission output and pinion input on the same parallel plane. The bottom line is that keeping the u-joints in sync is important to reduce/eliminate vibration and you can add some to u-joint angularity without any issues rising. (The longer the rear driveshaft, the more room to play you have.)

So thanks Frank for making me look this up. I learned something new! (Or maybe re-learned something I'd forgotten.....)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

st4s
I am smitten with my van

Post by st4s »

mdmead wrote:(I'm assuming this was your point.)
Right.

Thanks for that contribution. Very helpful indeed.

So if one was to use longer shackles (not due to technical conviction but because sending leaf springs to Europe IS expensive and exceeding their value by far) where do the shims which will help maintain the pinion and transmission output in parallel go then? Between the axle and the leaf spring?
-Frank-
ImageImageImage
93 Honda VFR750
82 Vespa 135cc

Berlin, Germany

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

Yes, the shims go between the springs and the axle. You could also use a lift block which are usually tapered (to correct pinion angle) to give you some more lift.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

mdmead wrote:We always talk about pinion angle and off-road guys know that keeping the pinion and transmission output angles in a stock relation (typically parallel) is the best course of action. I guess over the years I figured pinion angle was actually a measurement in relation to the ground or compared to the transmission output. Well, after reading up on it last night, the pinion angle is the angle between the driveshaft and the pinion. So yes, installing an add-a-leaf or level block DOES change the pinion angle. (I'm assuming this was your point.)
Actually Matt, When talking pinion angle, we are not concerned much with the angle between the pinion and the drive shaft. We are mostly concerned with keeping the transmission or transfer case output angle and pinion angle the same +/- 0.5 degrees. Yes, you can have too much of an angle between the pinion and drive shaft but you need to be around 20 degrees to have any issues. but you MUST have the slip yoke and the pinion yoke within 0.5 degree to eliminate vibrations.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
Actually Matt, When talking pinion angle, we are not concerned much with the angle between the pinion and the drive shaft. We are mostly concerned with keeping the transmission or transfer case output angle and pinion angle the same +/- 0.5 degrees. Yes, you can have too much of an angle between the pinion and drive shaft but you need to be around 20 degrees to have any issues. but you MUST have the slip yoke and the pinion yoke within 0.5 degree to eliminate vibrations.
I thought that is what I was saying Dean! Sort of...

Remember, the comment was that the pinion angle would change regardless of the type of rear lift (shackle or leaf/block.)

You are where I was last night. The key is "pinion angle" is a specific measurement between the pinion and driveshaft, nothing more. Here's a pic showing a 7 degree pinion angle:

http://www.2quicknovas.com/pinionangle.jpg

The term has nothing to do with what we are concerned with, that is the parallel relationship between the transmission output and pinion input. So what we are really trying to say is the angle of the pinion input (not "pinion angle") needs to remain in the stock relationship (basically parallel when under load) to the transmission output.

As you say... and I thought I did too... is that the pinion angle itself is secondary and can change without major concern of vibration.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

OMG, I'm sooooo confused now! :rolleyes: Just please, someone tell me that my drive-shaft won't fall out!!! [-o<
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

st4s
I am smitten with my van

Post by st4s »

Rockwerx wrote:Yes, the shims go between the springs and the axle. You could also use a lift block which are usually tapered (to correct pinion angle) to give you some more lift.
Would lift blocks be allowed/available for composite springs?
-Frank-
ImageImageImage
93 Honda VFR750
82 Vespa 135cc

Berlin, Germany

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

st4s wrote:
Rockwerx wrote:Yes, the shims go between the springs and the axle. You could also use a lift block which are usually tapered (to correct pinion angle) to give you some more lift.
Would lift blocks be allowed/available for composite springs?
I don't believe that you should use a lift block with the composite leaf springs. You can order some steel replacement springs from NAPA and have them recurved and add an extra leaf or two. The recurved replacement springs that some companies sell will loose their arch in a short period of time...especially if you are hard on them...ie trailer towing, extra cargo weight, off-road 4 wheeling, hotrodding, ect. The best way to lift these vans is to get custom springs made up. This way you get the extra lift you want, weight capability, and have your axle centered perfect in the wheel well.
dumb lady wrote:OMG, I'm sooooo confused now! :rolleyes: Just please, someone tell me that my drive-shaft won't fall out!!! [-o<
Don't worry Christine, your driveshaft won't fall out.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Topic author
dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

Thanks, Stewart! That does indeed make me feel a whole lot better. =D>
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K