engine stumbles & dies in gear

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: engine stumbles & dies in gear

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I think TPS's are just a variable resistor. If they are, you can unplug it and measure to make sure it isn't open or shorted while pressing the gas pedal.

What abut EGR? Coolant temp sensor? Wish I had more for you guys...this sucks for you! ](*,)
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

EGR was replaced & the intake was nice & clean , no carbon build up . The CTS , not sure if it was replaced or not , but if not i have a new one sitting here on my desk .

the TPS , you mean check it with ohms on each end & see if it varies as you press the peddle ?????
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I think so Dan.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Well I'm a little stumped, but I would say you have to go back to the basics. You need to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if you loosing FP under load. If that's ok, then at this point you really need to get hold of a scanner so you can monitor ECM data under driving conditions. You'll be able to see what the ECM thinks the TPS voltag is. The sensors may be ok, but if you have a wiring problem that won't show up until it's plugged in. Oh yeah how do the plugs look? If you have a weak spark or problem the plugs are going to show signs of it.

I had a similar problem with my Toro when I was sold the wrong fuel pump. Drove me nuts. It would idle fine, but as soon as you put in gear it would stall. I finally put a FP gauge on it and immeadiatley realized there was something wrong with the new pump. Wasted three days and $$$ on it.

Another thought, have you done a compression check? Also is the Cat still on it? You might want to look into that too. A plugged cat will cause power problems too.
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Throttle position sensor replaced with NO difference in the way it runs !!!!!

we've had the scanner on it more times than i can count , &everything seems to check out ok . but still throws a code 42 which is electronic spark timing .

i don't know , this thing is cursed .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Put in another dizzy! or go back to your origional post.
It ran with set up you got Lock nothing else.
I had thought about spark advance but have no idea how these engines accomplish it. I just remember old limey 4's and 6's and springs in the dizzy.
Did you check the exhaust? That was a good idea :supz:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

You need to go back and read that article link on EST. It sounds like your loosing a signal to the ECM. Could be dirty or band crimp on the connector for one of the EST signals.

I would start checking continuity on those connections between the ECM and the appropriate connector. I had one back out on my 91, it was the data wire to the ALDL connector. Sometimes it would work, some times it woulndn't. You could also have some heavy corrosion on a ground or one of th connectors. It may be on the harness side.
---------
----------
Chris
91AWD 350

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

all the grounds & connections are in great shape . next thing to do is check continuity on the wires i guess .

exhaust is good , theres no cat to clog up so ......

DAILY THOUGHT:

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Check the wire harness that runs from the ECM to the doghouse where it goes through the firewall. Right after that, the wire harness runs on top of the passenger side valve cover. I found there were some burned wires in that loom in a co-workers 93 Astro. His was blowing one of the ECM fuses though and would not even start. We cut and spliced/soldered/heat shrunk all the burned wires and he has had no issues since. If I remember right, there are around 30 - 40 wires in that loom and they all come from the ECM.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Yep I agree, you've pretty much exhuasted all other possibilities. Wish I was close to help. Electrical is one of my strong points. If you can get a wiring manual for it, that would help. I would ring out or check resistance of those circuits. Either that see if you can get a harness from a junk yard.

Keep us posted, you'll get it.
---------
----------
Chris
91AWD 350

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Put in another dizzy! or go back to your origional post.
It ran with set up you got Lock nothing else.
I had thought about spark advance but have no idea how these engines accomplish it. I just remember old limey 4's and 6's and springs in the dizzy.
WTF Jim ????????????????
maybe its me , but i no understand !!! lol

DAILY THOUGHT:

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Yeah gonna have to break out the VOM & the continuity tester to see whats going on . man i hate this part , its so damn time consuming .

DAILY THOUGHT:

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Have you tried another distributor?
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Have you tried another distributor?
no but all the electrics in this one have been replaced & with it running so good in park or nuetral i'm inclined to think the dizzys fine .

DAILY THOUGHT:

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Skippy,,,do a real good check on the dist. I'm not up on the later model 4.3 dist. but if it's made like the old HEI's, the base can break from the press fitting and the base will actually turn on the press fitting shaft area. It'll run fine until you give it gas and then it will get so far out of timing it'll start backfiring and you can hardly keep it running. You may have to pull it one more time to check this but you might be able to see it by turning the cap. Make sure the bolt is tight so you aren't turning the entire dist. I spent 2 months trying to run this down a few years back with an HEI,,ran fine untill you gave it more gas and then it would jump timing bad, to the point the headers glowed red.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words