V-8 Radiator. Help me Please

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
secrist
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Re: V-8 Radiator. Help me Please

Post by secrist »

I finally have an update. I got the problem fixed. As I said before my van always ran at around 225 deg and sometimes a bit higher but never fully overheating. I blamed the radiator because it was a "cheapo" from a no name parts store. I replaced it with the "Heatbuster" from Autozone and a second themostat. Again with a Mr Gasket, hi-flow, 180 deg stat. Still had the same problem. It ran only slightly cooler. I was still running the engine driven fan without a shroud. I replaced it with a Taurus electric fan. Everything worked great but it still was'nt cooling. I tried hosing down the radiator with cold water while the engine was running. Still no luck. The fan could only bring it down to 210. The only thing left was a restricted flow. I decided to change the thermostat again but this time I used a "Stant" brand regular style (180 deg). It cooled right down. The Taurus fan cools it with out a problem, it hardly ever turns on. I dont know if that is the way those Mr Gasket stats work or I am just unlucky to get 2 bad stats. I still haven't hooked up my ac or done any towing, so I don't if that will be a problem. I still have a large oil cooler that I still need to install. Thanks everyone for all the advice. Just because its new doesn't mean it's going to work.

Thanks Jerry

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Wow! How the heck could you possibly get two defective t-stats in a row? Is it possible that the 1st two were slightly different in shape and somehow were binding somewhere? That's funky....
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

That`s very strange but keep us informed.

I have upgraded to a Caprice "Cop Car' mechanical engine driven fan which has a 7 blade agressive pitch design for pulling more air through my `92 Chevy pick-up rad, for keeping my towing temps down while towing through the desert upgrades in 120f heat.

I also have fitted sheetmetal ducting to guide more air in to my a/c condensor and engine cooling rad.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc