Torquer 350 TBI build for Ole Yellar

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: More details for my 350 vortec please!!.

Post by GEJ »

Rockwerx wrote:I have seen many different cams in engines with this casting number 10243880. For instance the first one I had was from a 1996 Tahoe. It had the Vortec roller cam. That cam works well if you are towing. It runs smooth at idle. The ZZ4 cam runs a bit more rough at idle. I have also seen this casting with a few different flat tappet cams in it.

First off Thank You very much for sticking with this thread Rocky.

The next step ,as I said, will be the starting of the tranny rebuild next wk and plating and driving the donor van.

After that,I will dig into it and post what I have found.

Yeppers,GM got to love these cast numbers. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) #-o

Anyway for the outside to figure if it is a roller from the outside or by pulling a valve cover???.

Thanks Rocky

Btw,
Still got a high idle issue with this engine.I was hoping to find a vacumn leak and sprayed the TBI and intake with carb clearner.No change at all.Got any ideas about that???.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

I forgot to say that the idle screw on the TBI still has the cap on it.Kind of seems Casey didn't touch that..
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

I believe that the easiest way to tell if you have a roller cam is to pull the distributor and take a peak with a flashlight into the cam gallery. It should be pretty easy in this application as you can just pull the doghouse cover off to get at the engine. Most vehicles the firewall would be in the way to get a good visual unless you use a mirror.

Maybe you will get lucky and just be able to adjust the idle setting to solve that problem!

Sounds like you are getting closer to testing your combination. When you have your trany opened up for the rebuild it is a good time to install the B&M 3/4 throttle kick down part. I highly recomend installing this part when you swap to a V8. It will let you give it more throttle without kicking down. This enables you to use the higher torque that the V8 developes with out the trany kicking down.

Good luck with your project!
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Yeah Rocky,
Thanks for reminding me about the B&M kick down.I would have forgotten that.I am going to drive it after the rebuild as is and see where I am at.I'll pull the dist after that once I am ready to start the swap.

Gar
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
GEJ

Looking for opinions on these heads

Post by GEJ »

I am building a torqurer 350 TBI and I am looking for opinions on RHS heads.Nice part about these is they are dual pattern for intakes so I could run any early or late style intake with these heads.I would be using the "383" GM cam.

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... ode=VORTEC
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Looking for opinions on these heads

Post by Smiliesafari »

Looks like a great head. BUT...you really don't need that much head for a low RPM high torque application. \:D/ I'm assuming this is the motor you're going to use in "Ole Yeller". :-k
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Smiliesafari wrote:Looks like a great head. BUT...you really don't need that much head for a low RPM high torque application. \:D/ I'm assuming this is the motor you're going to use in "Ole Yeller". :-k

Yes.They are only 170cfm intake runner thro
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

It was the valve sizes that caught my attention. I know it's just opinion but a nice set of iron heads with 1.94 and 1.60 would be a better bet on a daily driver. I think you're going for torque rather than HP. A low RPM motor will never utilize the larger valves. And MPG is also a consideration these days. At the RPM's you're going to be driving at you want intake velocity rather than volumn. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Smiliesafari wrote:It was the valve sizes that caught my attention. I know it's just opinion but a nice set of iron heads with 1.94 and 1.60 would be a better bet on a daily driver. I think you're going for torque rather than HP. A low RPM motor will never utilize the larger valves. And MPG is also a consideration these days. At the RPM's you're going to be driving at you want intake velocity rather than volumn. \:D/

Yeah-isn't that kind of strange??.Small intake runner and 2.02 valve with rapid burn chambers.Got me wondering if that doesn't improve velocity??.I don't know.

Mr_Roboto-your welcome to chime in at anytime.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Well I got a handle on the idle issue.The IAC spring was wond tight,the fuel reg had junk all over it,the lifted injectors had only one thread holding the injectors on the TBI.We subed in injectors from another TBI and put on a different IAC motor and bam the ilde is as it should be. :cheers:

The engine is coming out of the donor next.

I am going to do a killer trans rebuild with TCI parts next.

This will be the thread for Ole Yellar's build and all others will be abandent.

I have pretty much decided on the RHS head swap and the GM 383 cam as I said.Might freashen up the engine with all new gaskets, seals,bearings,rings hot tank and paint it.I am looking for a good price on a Holley 670 TBI.

Going to pick up the window fillers from a junk cargo today and going to look at a trade for the no window slider for the one I have and no window rear doors as well.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

s10-den

Re: Torquer 350 TBI build for Ole Yellar

Post by s10-den »

Im going to be using the trickflow heads on mine, they are better and cheaper than the edelbrocks,plus gets rid of some pounds up there...I know some people that used those heads,they didnt like them at all, just giving you the "heads" up...lol
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Den,
Not really into alloy heads for the long term what would be high mileage use.Don't think the wt difference is all that important for street use.But that is just me.I thought these heads would work well for a low rpm torquer 350.Hummmm,wondering now.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

s10-den

Post by s10-den »

I just like the aluminum heads, I catch myself carrying all my s10 stuff over to these vans..But just letting you know what "I" have heard from my buds who used those heads...world products are damn good heads and fairly cheap!
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

I have seen questions on the forum about SBC heads.Here is one possiblitly that I have looked at before.Take note of all the intake manifolds that can be used with them.On the other side,I currently have a y-pipe and exhaust system that works with the heads I have on the dornor van,

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Cylinde ... Vortec.cfm
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Some good technical info here in this post.

I purposely kept my crappy V8`92 iron heads with the swirl intake ports, because after all my research they were designed for increased torque and better gas milage. I had them rebuilt with 2.02 and 1.95 valves, bronze guides, with a 3 angle valve job, then I ported every intake and exhaust tract identically, because I wanted the increased towing torque. Next I added the Edelbrock MPFI which woke up my whole engine and towing power, which now pulls like a steam train up steep grades while towing (5k boat) at 80+ mph past all the semi trucks

Torque is what gets your ass moving from a standstill, > and that is the "fun factor"
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc