major headache

skippy
I sleep in my van

Re: major headache

Post by skippy »

Thanx astronut , but no MAF on a TBI & motor mounts are fine .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Skip I know you guys have practically rebuilt that whole engine...I'm too tired to re-read the whole post so I'll just throw this out - how's the oil pressure sensor, and the wire coming off it? also, if it's like my '89 it's a single wire sensor requiring thread contact to make ground. Is it getting good ground? If the ECM thinks the oil pressure is hitting zero it cuts the power to the fuel pump.
If I recall correctly, you guys tested the fuel pressure, what psi were you getting?
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

its not anything cutting power to fuel pump cuz you can feather the gas peddle to keep it running . ..

its gotta be TBI related , air fuel mix or a vaccum leak we can't find , cuz thats what it acts like . but with putting a different TBI on it who knows , it acted the exact same way after the other TBI was put on so now ..........
#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

if it wasn't $325.00 for a dizzy & carb thats what she'd be running on right now !!!!
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

s10-den
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by s10-den »

map sensor?
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

all electrical components check out fine with a scan tool.

DAILY THOUGHT:

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I am just throwing these out there...

Any chance you have something wrong with something live burned out valves or piston? Not even sure if something like that would cause this running condition.

What about the dizzy gear being stripped out? A buddy at work had a 96 S-10 blazer that died one day and it was a stripped plastic gear on the bottom of the dizzy.

Check the wiring from the ECM where it goes through the firewall right near the dog house and crosses over the valve cover. Look very close for burned/melted wires. Saw this in a 93 Astro when it just died one day...it was blowing ECM fuses though.

V8 Time!!!! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

have done a compression test , all cylinders are great 120 to 122 psi .

burnt valve i highly doubt ,cuz theres no tell tale signs of it , but we;re not taking the heads off to check till its a last resort

dizzy was checked over real good by my buddy carlos when dennis changed the intake gasket .

wiring at the comp , from the comp , thriough the firewall &all across the motor &at each connector , all in decent shape ..

v8 isn;t necessary , this motor when running runs fantastic . & with a TBI v8 swap , you'd use all the comonents from the 4.3 & would probably wind up with the exact same problem !!!!! your talking about the Fisher luck here DEan . nothings gonna be easy , it jusy wouldn't be right if it was !!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

DAILY THOUGHT:

Topic author
liftedwhiteastro
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by liftedwhiteastro »

Now taking donations for a v-8 swap. Any and ALL parts would be appreciated :muhaha:

s10-den

Post by s10-den »

you check the pickup coil in the dizzy?
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

yes, every electrical componant in the dizzy & on the motor has been replaced with new or known good parts.........

DAILY THOUGHT:

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

It sounds so much like the egr. Have you attempted to totally block the egr port? Take a piece of sheet metal the basic size of the egr port and use it like a washer between the egr and manifold. That will eliminate any possibility of the egr valve, solenoid, etc. The EGR should only open up at cruising speeds. If any of that exhaust gas is getting into the intake manifold at idle, it will die due to a lack of oxygen.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

It sounds so much like the egr. Have you attempted to totally block the egr port? Take a piece of sheet metal the basic size of the egr port and use it like a washer between the egr and manifold. That will eliminate any possibility of the egr valve, solenoid, etc. The EGR should only open up at cruising speeds. If any of that exhaust gas is getting into the intake manifold at idle, it will die due to a lack of oxygen.

no we haven't , will have to try that . what would cause that condition / a cracked manifold maybe , or warped ?

DAILY THOUGHT:

s10-den

Post by s10-den »

I know this wont help, but I had a s10 doing the exact same thing, I put everything on there you could replace.It NEVER would run right,so I pulled the motor and put a carbed v8 in it.To this day I still wonder what it was...

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

need some ideas guys , this thing can't beat us , its got to be a fixable problem .

DAILY THOUGHT:

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Bill's right, try blocking off the EGR with a plate. You have nothing but a gasket to lose...
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson