The Chevy Volt

Non technical and off-topic discussion

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: The Chevy Volt

Post by mdmead »

Kidhauler wrote:
You can actually watch your hydro meter turn backwards. This means you are adding power to the grid and the power company has no choice but to buy it from you at the going rate. This is the law in all of North America so instead of getting a power bill you could be getting a check for a few bucks a month from the power company on top of getting free power.

I subscribe to Home Power magazine which is all about renewable energy and heavy on solar and wind power.

From what I understand, not all states treat back-fed power the same. In some states the utilities have to pay you the same rate you pay. (This is becoming the standard.) In others, they pay you the wholesale rate... basically what they pay for the power when they buy it from a source... which is considerably less. At one time some (many?) states didn't require the utility to pay you anything at all and I believe that still holds true in a few rare circumstances.

The one thing Home Power magazine pushes is to skip the battery bank unless you are absolutely up to the work required in keeping them properly maintained. The problem with this route is that you are still fully dependent on the 'grid'. When the grid goes down, so does your system (for line-worker safety).

Personally, I think everyone should want to bolt solar panels to their roof and have a battery bank in the basement/garage. I think for our own security and convenience, we should all be moving towards de-centralized power production. We've seen what can happen when just one power plant fails... it can bring down huge regions of the country for weeks. This problem isn't going to get better as demand continues to increase. (It's bad enough when you don't have electricity at home, but with your new electric car, you can't even go elsewhere!)

(By the way, Home Power magazine is produced by some real left-wing extremists who love taking shots at big oil, nuclear power, the president and other things. It's a struggle for me to continue reading sometimes, but I like the other info and hope to power our cabin--where running commercial power in is a $30K job--with solar in the future.)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Re: The Chevy Volt

Post by astronut74 »

(By the way, Home Power magazine is produced by some real left-wing extremists who love taking shots at big oil, nuclear power, the president and other things. It's a struggle for me to continue reading sometimes, but I like the other info and hope to power our cabin--where running commercial power in is a $30K job--with solar in the future.)
I was actually thinking about subsrcibing to that magazine! Not so much for the "home power" aspect of it ( I'm in an apartment right now- so it's kinda pointless now) But just for info of alternate fuel sources. I'm more interested in solar power for automotive applications. I figure, with the roof top of the Astro, you could stick a sizeable solar panel..

I just purchased a solar powered "toy" for my son yesterday, (ok, maybe it was for me-- don't tell him though) while talking with the owner of the store, she tells me Canada is making the best solar cells right now. Go :canuk: !
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater