It No Fit...

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

astrovan98
I am smitten with my van

Re: It No Fit...

Post by astrovan98 »

My van is a 1998 Astro, 2wd.

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

astrovan98 wrote:My van is a 1998 Astro, 2wd.
I was pretty sure it was a 2wd based on what you have said of the install... but just wanted to make sure as if it was an AWD, I'm obviously doing it wrong as I have all sorts of clearance issues!
:muhaha: :muhaha:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

astrovan98
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrovan98 »

I think, judging from your pictures at the beginning of this post, that you put the black plates on the wrong sides. If you look at the picture where you have the engine sitting in the chassis, and the drivers side mount sits too far back, then look at the second picture from the top, you will see that there is a tapped hole towards the rear on the black plate that is not being used. If the black plates were switched form the right to the left side, the tapped hole would be at the front of the engine, and likewise, the steel mount would sit farther forward, aligning the arms with your rubber mount.
Try switching the black adapter plate from the right side to the left, and vise-versa. Then put the mounting plates back on.
Let me know if this works.
Last edited by astrovan98 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

astrovan98
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrovan98 »

Try this site I captured early in my build. It is a fellow that did an AWD Astro conversion. It has many pictures and details that you may find helpful.
http://www.aei.ca/~nmaclennan/index.htm

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

That's Neil. He is a member though he hasn't been on in awhile other that to post parts for sale since he sold that LS1 AWD van.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

You know, swapping in a Dana 44 or 60 front axle would fix the clearance problems on the front dif and axle mount. :yawinkle:

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

astrovan98 wrote:I think, judging from your pictures at the beginning of this post, that you put the black plates on the wrong sides. If you look at the picture where you have the engine sitting in the chassis, and the drivers side mount sits too far back, then look at the second picture from the top, you will see that there is a tapped hole towards the rear on the black plate that is not being used. If the black plates were switched form the right to the left side, the tapped hole would be at the front of the engine, and likewise, the steel mount would sit farther forward, aligning the arms with your rubber mount.
Try switching the black adapter plate from the right side to the left, and vise-versa. Then put the mounting plates back on.
Let me know if this works.
Thanks! I'll double-check them. One set of the mounts I had instructions for, the other I didn't. I tried one set two ways and it only came close one direction, but I don't recall which mounts now. Even if they are wrong, I can see I have a width problem (basically the thickness of the LS to SB adaptors) using both sets of mounts. (This wouldn't be hard to fix though.) The other problem is there is no way the engine can sit down without pan modifications. Since I planned on doing a subframe lift from the beginning anyway, I'm not so worried about tucking it down in. If I can get by raising it 2", this would still give me 3" of clearance up top for any top end issues and raise my pan up away from rocks and stumps(!)

Yes, I e-mailed Neil early on regarding his swap and have looked at his site several times.
Matt
Selah, WA

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

rlsllc wrote:You know, swapping in a Dana 44 or 60 front axle would fix the clearance problems on the front dif and axle mount. :yawinkle:
Yeah, yeah, but I don't really want a solid axle front. I like the factory ride and suspension just fine. I just want a vehicle more capable than stock.

Now if I ever move on to a 6.2L diesel swap into an early van, then it might get a Dana 44....... :muhaha:
Matt
Selah, WA

astrovan98
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrovan98 »

On my 2wd project, I used the truck pan and it fit perfectly, although it does sit about an inch lower than the engine crossmember. It does have extra oil capacity however so that's a benefit. I will most likely keep the deeper sump, and build a reinforced steel drop plate on the crossmember to protect it. My crossmember didn't quite touch the ground when I aired-out the suspension, but with the extra plate it probably will now. The suspension was designed to drop the truck so the front bumper ground effect package and side skirts would come within 1/4" of the ground on level pavement.
From my investigations, I think you would be cutting little bits out of the pan anyway for the 4wd version.
I have seen the solid front axle method on a couple of trucks, and they looked pretty good, especially with the appropriate large terrain tires, but this is a look you may not fancy.