Transmission Cooler

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Transmission Cooler

Post by kings-x59 »

words to the wise about the separation from the condensor. I just blocked mine out another inch to get it further away from the condensor. Aside from damage, it will transfer heat into the condensor reducing the efficiency of the system.
It made a difference, I just road tested it for 188 miles in the Texas heat.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

kings-x59 wrote:words to the wise about the separation from the condensor. I just blocked mine out another inch to get it further away from the condensor. Aside from damage, it will transfer heat into the condensor reducing the efficiency of the system.
Totally agree with that.Going to change that on the RV during rebuilding the dash A/C.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

kings-x59 wrote:words to the wise about the separation from the condensor. I just blocked mine out another inch to get it further away from the condensor. Aside from damage, it will transfer heat into the condensor reducing the efficiency of the system.
It would still seem to me that if the trans coolers is transferring, say 100btu, into the air that now the A/C is receiving 100btu of heat that it was not receiving prior to the trans cooler install? Now the A/C is less efficient.
Hummmmm
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Still curious if anyone has any temp. readings running aux. cooler only ? :-k
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

phatmaxx87
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by phatmaxx87 »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Tranny temperature gauge installation. (these pics are from the SPB but the 03 was done the same way)

Located the test port on the 4L60E. It is located on the driver side to the front of the gear shift electrical connection.

Now remove the 1/8" NPT plug and screw in the brass sensor. DO NOT use Teflon tape as you may not have a ground connection. The sensor is more or less reading the case temperature but it gives a great idea on what the temps are doing. Run the sensor wire up to where ever you are going to mount your gauge. I mounted my Autometer gauge in a pod on the A-pillar.

Now for some aux cooler tests. The test was done on the 2003 AWD and was done when we drove it to trade in on our truck. The tranny was in perfect shape...new Amsoil synthetic fluid and filter, Transgo HD-2 shift kit and Corvette servo. There was NO slip in the tranny!!!! The day was in the mid 70's and wasn't too humid out. With the aux tranny cooler installed the tranny temp would never get above about 150 - 165 no matter where we drove or how fast. This is without towing. The day we traded the van in, I removed the aux cooler and on the drive to get the truck, the tranny easily reached the 180 degree mark within about 10 miles of driving. This was from a cold start! The final temp once we arrived at the dealer (40 mile drive, mostly interstate) was around the coolant temp of 195! This is a 30 to 45 degree difference with just the aux cooler plumbed after the stock cooler. No wonder we would see 210 towing our camper and that was babying it. I can't even imagine how hot the tranny would get with no aux cooler! My final suggestion for long tranny life is synthetic fluid and a massive tranny cooler!

He has some temp readings.

-Vance
96' Chevy Astro Cargo. Custom paint. 5.7 Vortec motor stroked out to a 383ci. 17" wheels Dad stripped it.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I spoke to the hard-core technical guys at Overdrives.com about the best trans temp for my 700r4 (because I tow toyz through the 130f (max heat) desert .

An they told me, > If you can keep your tranny temp at 160F.... > your 700r4 will LOVE You.... But with an aux cooler 180F is ok also....

I have by-passed my radiator cooler, and switched to "air to air trans cooler". because it is toasty here in SoCal. All you guys in colder climes, will need your radiator cooler, to warm up your tranny oil from start-up.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

160??

I have the OEM radiator heat exchanger, the optional towing package aux. cooler AND a Perma-Cooler mounted underneath next to the transmission (700R4) WITH electric fan and mine runs at 180deg in any weather over 60deg, hits 200 in stop/go traffic routinely and goes upto 220 when trailering.

I removed the radiator heat exchanger from the loop when I first installed the Perma-Cool but the first winter after it never seemed to warm up and I considered it would help maintain a more consistant temp and therfore less metal expansion and contractions which seems like would lead to more wear in the long run, I hooked it back up thru the radiator.

I run Mobil-1 ATF exclusively and also have an external spin-on oil filter adaptor that has a temprature gauge sendor built-in that I got from Summit Racing.

I just cant seem to get this trans to run any cooler than 180 except in cold weather...

Its been over 5 years since I built/installed this trans so Im pretty sure its OK I also added the HD pump, extra clutch discs, corvette servo, kevlar band, and 3/4 kick-down valve along with all a few other tweeks found in old HotRod mags related to the 700R4s..

Ive seen it go as high as 250deg when trailering a car thru the mountains but that was when I had the radiator out of the loop.

mabey I should try a different gauge and/or sender? I like the idea of having two senders...

if nothing else I know ive got at least twice the fluid flowing thru it than stock with all the lines and stuff..

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Are you measuring the hot fluid going to the cooler? If so, I would say your temps are probably ok. Seeing as you are on full synthetic and have excellent filtering, I wouldn't be too concerned. Something you could do to help with more cooling is put the aux cooler up front so you get ram air assistance with your cooling fan.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

Just ordered my parts up, hopefully get it on within the month and tow for the first time my Austin Mini, thinking about towing my buddies to. Just nervous with 2 mini's plus the trailer. I guess we will see if I can install everything in time or have to borrow a buddies truck... this time.
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

This is pretty much what I've been seeing since my temp gauge install.

batmo wrote:160??

I have the OEM radiator heat exchanger, the optional towing package aux. cooler AND a Perma-Cooler mounted underneath next to the transmission (700R4) WITH electric fan and mine runs at 180deg in any weather over 60deg, hits 200 in stop/go traffic routinely and goes upto 220 when trailering.

I removed the radiator heat exchanger from the loop when I first installed the Perma-Cool but the first winter after it never seemed to warm up and I considered it would help maintain a more consistant temp and therfore less metal expansion and contractions which seems like would lead to more wear in the long run, I hooked it back up thru the radiator.

I run Mobil-1 ATF exclusively and also have an external spin-on oil filter adaptor that has a temprature gauge sendor built-in that I got from Summit Racing.

I just cant seem to get this trans to run any cooler than 180 except in cold weather...

Its been over 5 years since I built/installed this trans so Im pretty sure its OK I also added the HD pump, extra clutch discs, corvette servo, kevlar band, and 3/4 kick-down valve along with all a few other tweeks found in old HotRod mags related to the 700R4s..

Ive seen it go as high as 250deg when trailering a car thru the mountains but that was when I had the radiator out of the loop.

mabey I should try a different gauge and/or sender? I like the idea of having two senders...

if nothing else I know ive got at least twice the fluid flowing thru it than stock with all the lines and stuff..
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Rvamobiledetailing
I get chills without my van.

Post by Rvamobiledetailing »

Have a quick question for you guys with trans temp gauges. How/Where did you run the sensor wire? Like is there somewhere for it to come in the interior or did you all have to drill a hole to get the wire in?

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Drilled a hole in the firewall under the steering column. There may be a grommet the throttle cable runs through that you can snake a wire in as well.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

Rvamobiledetailing

Cool thanks for the reply going to install gauge tOday. Going to install cooler end of the week,want to see the difference in temps with the cooler

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I know you will be very surprised at the differences in temps. :supz: If you take pics, post them up in this thread.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

Rvamobiledetailing

Got the gauge installed tonight,just have to put sensor in trans case,got to cold and dark lol. Looks really good know it will work great,will finish installing tomorrow.On a side note the auto meter phantoms are like 10x brighter than my z series in my caprice. Does anybody know if they make any whiteface gauges for a 95?