Need Help Weird nose and Wobble when driving 35MPH+

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Need Help Weird nose and Wobble when driving 35MPH+

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

No tags on the front diff to see. Gonna have to split the case to find out for sure.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
sxfx
I am smitten with my van

Post by sxfx »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:No tags on the front diff to see. Gonna have to split the case to find out for sure.
Good deal, I take it same deal as the rear, take the first number divide it by the second and you get the ration.

Il try to get on that tonight. Third time taking that thing out should be a breeze hehe.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Yup. For example, the numbers will be 12 and 41 for 3.42 ratio. 41/12=3.417 or 3.42.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

Topic author
sxfx
I am smitten with my van

Post by sxfx »

Well boys sure enough.

The front diff is definitely 3.73 and my rear is a 3.42.

Going to the junk yard tomorrow to pick up a 3.42 front and finally get my van running hehe.

hausdok
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by hausdok »

Yeah, get all the tires the same. I had one different cause i had a nail and borrowed a spare. Drove a short time and got a bad reaction and just pulled off. Changed the tire to the right size and it was all fixed. That was on my 91 years ago.
I am a doctor of houses, need help ask.

91 AWD Astro 224000 project for later
98 AWD Astro 137000 driver
84 HD XLH in the garage
91 dodge Dakota alt driver
Wife has 06 Pacifica

Topic author
sxfx
I am smitten with my van

Post by sxfx »

Ok,

Finally picked up a 3:42 diff, right off of a cash for clunkers car hehe.

If anyone is interested in a 1993 3:73 front differential with 89k miles on it let me know.

I live in Chicago IL

email:skipl1983@yahoo.com

$200 bucks takes it. Im not sure how willing I am to ship it since its just like a slab of steel hehe.

Topic author
sxfx
I am smitten with my van

Post by sxfx »

Well guys.

Last night I finally got the front 3.42 in, filled up the front and rear with mobile1 75-80 synthetic and took her for a test drive.

The car finally drives smooth ass hell, no shaking, no rattling nothing I was amazed and happy finally hehe.

Only thing I noticed today on my 40 mile drive to work and you really have to listen for it, is a sound kind like a snow plow on the cement, but Im pretty sure that's just the rear drums making that nose, since I know the whole rear axle came from a junk yard so the thing probably never had its drums change, but Im also going to check the tire pressures since I know that on these cars it makes a huge difference.

Either way Im going to my mechanic guy today to have him check it out, but other then that like I said she runs smoooooth hehe.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Congrats! \:D/
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

Topic author
sxfx
I am smitten with my van

Post by sxfx »

So, I really think this van hates me hehe.

Nothing really crazy, the car runs have been driving it for a lil over 200 miles now. But that noise that I thought was my rear drums, well I was wrong hehe. Its a steady sound it doesn't speed up or slow down at all and sounds like Im dragging something behind me or kind of like a plow on the street sound. I'm suspecting either axle bearings or carrier bearings. Man this thing will just never let me win.

Other then that all the other parts I put in work just fine. Hopefully the rear can hold up until I can drive her home tonight and rip the bitch apart tomorrow morning.

Quick question is there a rear end with a 3.42 gear I can grab from another Chevy that's maybe much more beefier then the stock one and doesn't require much customization to put in?

Thanks for all the help.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

There is no easy rear end you can put in these vans. With some work and cash you can install 12 bolts, 9", Dana 60's etc. Make sure whatever you do, you get a diff with an offset pinion to clear the gas tank.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

Topic author
sxfx
I am smitten with my van

Post by sxfx »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:There is no easy rear end you can put in these vans. With some work and cash you can install 12 bolts, 9", Dana 60's etc. Make sure whatever you do, you get a diff with an offset pinion to clear the gas tank.
Hmm never mind in that case, Il just replace this whole rear end assembly on this one.

Thanks.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

sxfx wrote:
LiftedAWDAstro wrote:There is no easy rear end you can put in these vans. With some work and cash you can install 12 bolts, 9", Dana 60's etc. Make sure whatever you do, you get a diff with an offset pinion to clear the gas tank.
Hmm never mind in that case, Il just replace this whole rear end assembly on this one.

Thanks.
Why not just put your money to better use, and have the one you got properly rebuilt? Jim

Topic author
sxfx
I am smitten with my van

Post by sxfx »

astroturf wrote:
sxfx wrote:

Thanks.
Why not just put your money to better use, and have the one you got properly rebuilt? Jim
Actually my friend that's exactly what Im going to do hehe.

I was thinking why in the world would I get another one from a junk yard, where it could just develop the same problem in god knows how soon, where as if I get it rebuild with proper clearances and everything, Il have one that's just like new and under warranty :)..

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Good to hear. Jim

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

sxfx wrote:So, I really think this van hates me hehe.

Its a steady sound it doesn't speed up or slow down at all and sounds like Im dragging something behind me or kind of like a plow on the street sound. I'm suspecting either axle bearings or carrier bearings.
Thanks for all the help.
If the sound starts as soon as you are moving, I'd guess pinion bearing. If you hear it more once you are moving faster, it could be a wheel bearing, or less likely, a carrier bearing. I kind of think that a bad pinion bearing sounds like how really rough mud tires sound on pavement.

Pinion bearings are a little tricky, but not impossible. You will need some special tools, including a press. I don't like to set the preload unless the axle is out of the van with the pinion pointing strait up, but it can be done in the van.