2000 4L60E suitability for a 1989 Astro.

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

How does the spot where the pin goes on the band look? That band looks pretty charred tbh. By the drum it wore evenly, still. Hey, are those the pliers for the stupid C clips that they use for the pistons? Man, I really wish I woulda had a set of those. If I ever do one for my buddy he's ponying up for me :P

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Don't worry SafariRob your not the only who just got the tranny bug. I have Mr_Roboto to thank for mine.

Already ordered the book and picked up a used 4L60-E now i'm just setting aside the money for a Master rebuild kit / 13 vane pump / .490 boost valve / Transgo shift kit and a deeper pan. All thanks to Mr_roboto who even went as far as showing me the best place to spend my money LOL =D>
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Mr_Roboto wrote:How does the spot where the pin goes on the band look? That band looks pretty charred tbh. By the drum it wore evenly, still. Hey, are those the pliers for the stupid C clips that they use for the pistons? Man, I really wish I woulda had a set of those. If I ever do one for my buddy he's ponying up for me :P
I guess you have been eating lead paint again. I don't know where you see any charred parts. I'm envious in the fact that this tranny isn't for me as it is in really good shape. Worn clutches and hardened seals but over all it was in really good shape. No burns at all. Note how nice that drum is.

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

lockdoc wrote:
Mr_Roboto wrote:How does the spot where the pin goes on the band look? That band looks pretty charred tbh. By the drum it wore evenly, still. Hey, are those the pliers for the stupid C clips that they use for the pistons? Man, I really wish I woulda had a set of those. If I ever do one for my buddy he's ponying up for me :P
I guess you have been eating lead paint again. I don't know where you see any charred parts. I'm envious in the fact that this tranny isn't for me as it is in really good shape. Worn clutches and hardened seals but over all it was in really good shape. No burns at all. Note how nice that drum is.
That band looks a lot darker then the one I pulled from mine, even with 147K on it. The color on the outermost part of it was what mine looked like, then again it could just be the camera too.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

I have had burnt band and clutches on previous teardowns. To me, burnt is when the clutches are black and they also have cracks\spidering in the material. The true tale of burnt parts are when the metal plates or drum they ride on are blued from the heat. All the clutch material in this trans were dark from that waste material that you find when you drop your pan from wear and the steels were clean.

Here is a sample from this trans:

Here is one from the last van i did:

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

that looks pretty healthy in better light, that last pic of the 3-4 pack is scary! Mine was like it was in neutral when I hit third gear, and it looked a lot better then that one! The gunk in the trans doesn't bother me, it's the smell that does. I've got a strong stomach, and boy it got turned when I was tearing mine down.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

So,the 90 outta the P.U was a good choice,cool makes the effort worthwhile.

Rob,The ATSG are very handy,but the most important tool (being your 1st rebuild) is your digi-cam, take pics of how that thing came apart,you'll be greatful come re-assembly time,good-luck with it.

Just took another look at those comparison pics,I wonder if that tranny might have seen a rebuild not too long ago :-k