Transmission filter & gasket kit

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Transmission filter & gasket kit

Post by MountainManJoe »

Meterpig wrote:Here you go.
Well thank you, but I just did mine so I'm good for a while. I think you should do it. :)
Meterpig wrote:Does the pump actually "suck" or just "blow"? I wonder if you could just stick that hose in a 5 gallon bucket of ATF and see if it would suck it out. Would it?
The pump sucks it up out of the pan and then blows it into the torque converter and valve body. The pump probably has enough suction to pull it out of the bucket, but then you're "lifting" the fluid instead of "dropping" it. Plus, I think the hose would collapse. Unless you prime the pump, it's going to be sucking a lot of air first. Try it :D

Meterpig
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Meterpig »

WEll, what if you disconnected the two hoses at the cooler and used the inlet for sucking and the outlet for discharge? A lot less lifting for sure.
What do you think of my quest to swap transfer cases to the venerable BW4472?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9962

Photos including tear down for intake gaskets (PITA)
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSjRG/i-bHzD6cz

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

The pump only sucks from the pan. There's no suction at the cooler. It's basically a sump pump.

Meterpig

Post by Meterpig »

Ah-ok then.

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

timelessbeing wrote:NEVER EVER EVER go to a quick lube place for ANYTHING.
I finally serviced my transmission over the weekend, and when I took the deep pan off, there was a shallow pan filter on there. And it's not like their services are cheap either.
What kind of damage could result from having the wrong filter on there?
I plan to go over there and give thme hell for this, and at least get my money back.

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Providing you had the proper amount of ATF then the filter should still have been submerged in fluid and therefore it shouldn't have caused any problems.

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

That's not the answer I was looking for, Zam. I'm pretty sure when I looked, the dipstick went BELOW the bottom of the filter, meaning that when going uphill the torque converter would be starved of fluid causing slippage. Right??? 8-[

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

I was going to try to explain this to him too Zam, but instead, I decided I would wait to hear about TB trying to get his money back.
Now, I'll never know. :cry:

:muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Just so we are both on the same track here I'll explain what I meant. The position of the tranny filter stays constant regardless of depth of pan, correct? and we know that the fluid is being sucked up thru the filter thus the filter needs to be submerged in ATF to be able to do this, whether you run an oem pan or a deep dish, as long as you have the correct amount of ATF then the filter would be submerged and sucking ATF, I can't see why there would be a deep pan filter, the deeper pan only holds extra ATF, the filter doesn't need to be able to reach down into the ATF, the fluid should always be in the same place in relation to the filter, theres just more of it below in a deep pan.

If this lube place did not put in the correct amount, or when you serviced it later on you did not put back in the correct amount then yes it could be low on ATF and causing problems. Its been yrs since I rebuilt my tranny but I think I am remembering things correctly :-k then again maybe not :D

As to the T.C beeing starved of ATF, I'm not exactly sure if this could be a problem because of going up the hill, a T.C holds a couple quarts ( i think ) of fluid and it doesn't drain out easily, if the whole system is low then the lack of fluid ( pressure ) will cause problems.

Put the van on level ground and get it up to operating temps, run the gear selector thru the gears and then check the ATF level, if its where it should be on the stick then the problem lies elsewhere.

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I wasn't sure about the part numbers, so I grabbed both kits and took photos. I'll post them here to benefit those planning to do this job...

4L60-E (years?)

with deep pan

Shallow pan

These are both factory GM pans, just from different year vans.

Transmission filter for deep pan (WIX#58847)
ImageImage
It has an all plastic shell. The feet are there so the filter doesn't get sucked against the bottom surface of the pan and restrict the flow (evidently this was a problem in the past)

for shallow pan (WIX#58904)
ImageImage
Metal shell. Filter is not as thick as the deep version, and it's missing the feet.

Also notice the overall shapes of the two are different, and the crooked necks (?).

Here is the transmission pan gasket. It is the same for both.
This one was made of rubber. The holes are smaller than the bolts to make installation easier. I did not use any RTV.

Here is the kit I ended up using. It cost about $18

So what happens if you put a shallow filter in a deep pan? Well, the van drives. I'll let you know if I notice a difference. If you compare the filter photos, you can see they would sit at different heights.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

i think the single post above showing the diff between the pans and filters shallow vs deep should be a single post made in to a sticky in this section, including the single pan gasket pic.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

astrozam wrote:Just so we are both on the same track here I'll explain what I meant. The position of the tranny filter stays constant regardless of depth of pan, correct? and we know that the fluid is being sucked up thru the filter thus the filter needs to be submerged in ATF to be able to do this, whether you run an oem pan or a deep dish, as long as you have the correct amount of ATF then the filter would be submerged and sucking ATF, I can't see why there would be a deep pan filter, the deeper pan only holds extra ATF, the filter doesn't need to be able to reach down into the ATF, the fluid should always be in the same place in relation to the filter, theres just more of it below in a deep pan.
Zam is 100% correct. When I added a deeper pan to the SPB, I did not change the length of the dipstick. I just had to add extra fluid. I am pretty sure the dipstick is the same for a shallow pan or deep pan application or there would be NO reason to make the pan deeper if the fluid level is lower. :rolleyes:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Interesting. So why the different filters?

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Not really sure why except that there is no way to anchor the shorter filter up. Would not be good if it fell out! :yikes:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Meterpig

Post by Meterpig »

I would think that the deep filter would draw father into the reservoir to allow cooler fluid to be pulled into the transmission. Just speculation on my part.