Safari -1 Nissan -0 Pics of the carnage inside

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
blacknome
I sleep in my van

Re: Safari -1 Nissan -0 Pics of the carnage inside

Post by blacknome »

As of Monday the 31st, the fenders and hood are back on and in primer. It looks like they saved the PS fender and replaced the DS and hood.

Topic author
blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

I love how this pic shows in on Jan 7 and back out by the 24th..... it's Feb1 today and I doubt I will see the van done this week

and hopefully it will look like this again once they are done

Hey I just noticed in these pics that the bodyshop is fixing the paint problem on the top of the DS door frame where it contacts the rubber around the windshield ( the paint was lifting in little sheets but you would only notice when the door was open ) BONUS !

chevymaher
I get chills without my van.

Post by chevymaher »

Yea it gonna look good.Congrats.
Image90 astro parts van gone.94 safari SLE.68 chevelle SS clone.

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

They ARE going to fix the bumper crush box, too, aren't they?
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

I just got the call that the van is ready. I have driven by their shop twice a day ( to and from work ) and have not seen the van outside since the pics were take.
Of course we got 6-7 inches of snow and they want their POS rental car back today ( I guess they are expecting an in-flux of new wrecks to repair ).
Although it's going to be hard to spot any imperfections I will take advantage and appreciate the AWD and Winter tires.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Nice to see that your safe and your Astro only LIMPED away.

Gee I'm glad I live out in the sticks.
My biggest worry is hitting an Elk, or a Bear.
That would not be good.

In this pic I think i see something funny.
Looks like maybe the metal is a bit bent because if you look at the double plate area sortof in front of the body mount bolt, where you would need to get inside if it spun loose like lots doo. Anyways there looks like a lot of space under the double plate, as if the area got hit and bent inwards, leaving a pocket under the doubler reinforced area on the front bottom by the frame. I doubt if it would give ya grief though as long as it looks straight, and the body mount bolt hole still lines up. Guess Thats why those front body mount nuts always spin loose inside the body there, because they are supposed to be able to move around in there a bit to provide adjust-ability.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn21 ... G_0236.jpg
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

I went by to pick up the van this morning and it's not ready afterall. It has been painted but appartly they were given the wrong grill so they said hopefully it will be ready Friday, Monday latest.

I was so looking forward to getting rid of this bald tired go-cart of a rental car. Might even call the car rental place asking for a different set of wheels. Driving the rental car in the 6" of snow we got yesterday is dangerous

Topic author
blacknome
I sleep in my van

Re: Safari -1 Nissan -0 Pics of the carnage inside Almost Re

Post by blacknome »

Still waiting for the right pieces of the grille to come in so they can put it back together. I notice as well by the dirt kicked up on the bottom of the doors they have been driving it ( I hope to make sure the alignment was done right ). Every time I call the bodyshop they say it will be a couple more days.

Topic author
blacknome
I sleep in my van

Re: Safari -1 Nissan -0 Van is fixed now

Post by blacknome »

picked it up tonight. I didn't even get out of the parking lot before a CEL came on ( pesky MAF code ). Should have some pics in the AM. Grand Total for repairs was a hair under $6k. Throw in the cost of a rental car for 6 weeks to the day I dropped it off and it was probably cheaper for them to buy me out !

I am pretty happy with the work, the paint matched 100% in my books but now the hood and fenders have enough shine that I may actually ( gasp !! ) polish and wax the van in the spring. I do both the cars 3x a year but never did the van in the almost 5 years I have owned it, which in itself is kind of funny because its the vehicle I paid the most for !!!

Topic author
blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

Breakdown:
$ 1890.95 parts
$ 2454.20 labour
$ 780.10 shop supplies and Paint Materials
________
$ 5125.70 + 13% hst = $ 5792.04 WOW

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

blacknome wrote: Breakdown:
$ 1890.95 parts
$ 2454.20 labour
$ 780.10 shop supplies and Paint Materials
________
$ 5125.70 + 13% hst = $ 5792.04 WOW
looks great!

and we wonder why insurance prices are so high in Ontario? $5,792.04 .. yikes
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

safari kev
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by safari kev »

wow- thats good paint work and body work. I can't tell that it took a bite out of a nissan. :toimonster:
^artists rendering of a safari eating a nissan
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
94 safari hi-top explorer limited. 132k miles.
95 ASTRO choo choo conv. RIP @115K
97 safari slx "surfin' safari" 145k miles RIP
91 safari shorty Tiara conversion. RIP
86 cadillac fleetwood brougham. 67k. It thinks its a hot rod.
83 lesabre limited. 71k miles
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

Topic author
blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

Well the van is going back to the bodyshop to finish getting fixed. The CEL light is no big deal ( to me anyways ), but when they fixed the flaking paint on the top of the door frame where it rubs the windshield molding they sanded the backside bare but never brought the paint around so it's down to bare metal there ( even though it had nothing to do with the accident or the damage incurred if they started to fix it they should finish it IMO ).
Another issue I found is when I pulled out the MAF sensor to clean it ( trying to get rid of the code ) I noticed the the AC line into the condensor was very very loose ( barely finger tight to the condensor ). So loose in fact that the AC unit will only cycle on for about 30 seconds so I am thinking thed R134 has leaked out and it needs to be recharged again as well.

So bodyshop says they are going to do good by me. The guy who I happened to grab from behind the counter the night I picked up the van is the shop manager. Said I can drop it off on Wed and have it back by Friday. He is going to fix both sides where the paint is flaking off and the AC.

:-({|= I just want the van back

Topic author
blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

Well I finally have my van back. They fixed the flaking paint on the tops of both doors and fixed the AC line. The van has been spoiled to 2 detailings in as many weeks and looks great !!! I kind of felt a little guilty driving it over these salt covered roads and within 3 blocks the detail job was ruined :(

So all told it was 7 weeks of winter driving ( all of Jan and most of Feb ) in a rental car with shitty tires while my AWD Van with 4 snows sat in the shop :axe:

thx for the support guys !!!

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

glad it's finally case closed. i'm happy you got your sweet van back, can only imagine how happy you are :bounce:
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*