Emerging transportation technologies

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Emerging transportation technologies

Post by MountainManJoe »

I have never examined a helicopter rotor head up close in person.
I did have a quick read through this wiki article though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swashplate_(helicopter)
Kabey's Van wrote:If you had main shaft that articulates you would never be able to alter the plane of the rotor disc in order to create forward flight.
The article mentions both a ball-joint and universal-joint as part of the assembly.

Also:
"Swashplates for helicopters having two rotors mounted on the same shaft are much more complex than the single rotor helicopters."
I do remember the video mentioning that a TC joint would help in multi-rotor applications.
Kabey's Van wrote:they will prematurally fail when used in a 2 degree or less deflection.
This video shows the coupling in a wind turbine application. It doesn't look like it would be difficult to adapt to a helicopter tail rotor. As the image below it shows, the coupling is deflected quite a bit, so excessive wear shouldn't be a problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEAPzRg_w5I
Kabey's Van wrote:This is the biggest one they make.
http://www.thompsoncouplings.com/8C_das ... ing/pd.php
THIS is the biggest one they make (64,000Nm).
It even works under water.

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

May I suggest to you TB, that you go out to Boundry Bay Airport and check out the helicopters they have there and talk to the people at Heli-one.
They will be more than inviting to show you around there complex and show you the machines that will be in various states of repair.
If you have a couple of bucks to throw around, ask them to take you for a flight. They may even let you take the stick (aka the cyclic) for a while.
I'm not going to explain to you the "simplicities of a helicopter" just to have you post Wiki-links in rebutle to something you have no idea about.
I obtained my rotory winged, piston engine, private pilots licence many years ago.
It cost me $45,000 in 1981, so until you have some justified knowledge with regards to helicopters, I think this discussion with you regarding helicopters is over.
Futhermore, a crown and pinion is better than two u-joints and I know Thompson's make bigger than automotive sized couplers, but I thought this post was about transportation technologies, not heavy industrial technologies.

Peter

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Relax, man. Nobody is challenging you knowledge or experience. I just read about helicopter rotors possibly having joints, so I was trying to make a connection. I'd LOVE to check out some flying machines, and I'm even thinking about getting into the field after I get laid off this year. Too bad this discussion was ended. :-#

Yes you are right, I did go off-topic with the last picture, and I'm sorry for that. I just thought it was cool.
Last edited by MountainManJoe on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Kabey's Van wrote:I'm surprized they don't teach a bit of theory in your Aircraft Maintenance Course. You would think that would be very helpful in your chosen career.
Peter the pilot
Thanks Peter, I build SQL databases, not helicopters.

I can see why Boeing would be interested in that technology.

Have any of y'all seen the way they can mega-grow algae too make into bio-diesel?
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

what about displacement on demand, or direct injection

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

Cadillac had a 4-6-8 engine back in the 80's. It was a way ahead of it's time and they had serious issue's with it that people haven't forgotten about. It left a bad taste in consumers mouths.
Volkswagon has had the TDI system for about 20 odd years and it has been a key selling point for them.
So not much "new" there.

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Displacement-on-demand as an idea isn't new, but widespread production sure is. I'd like to hear more about it, blacknome. What have ya got? What's the latest scoop?

Direct injection is pretty common now isn't it? I haven't really been keeping up.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Maybe some will fill in the senior moment I am having right now,but I do remember a manufacture that has a adjusted the intake runner length depending on the demands of a engine.So if at a higher RPM,it adjusts the intake runner longer for more HP and if lower,shorter for more torque.It does open up a whole new tech where your not locked into one intake runner design.I think it is Dodge,but I am not sure.Kind of cool none the less.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

Variable valve timing is pretty cool. I wish someone would make system that would be able to go into a bbc. Then you could really produce some ponies.

Peter

leadtrombone
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by leadtrombone »

right of the top of my head i think it was honda.. Could be wrong. I may look it up now. But i seem to remember reading about it connected to the civic and accords....
1999 Safari SLE. Stock. Proud owner since May 2010. So far I love it..

P1050479 by leadtrombone, on Flickr

The old cars - my progression to here (most recent first)

1996 Honda Passport
1988 BMW 320i touring
1989 BMW 520
2005 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab
1989 BMW 320i
1990 Toyota Tercel EZ
1991 Mitshubishi Mirage
1970 Mercedes Benz 250 Saloon

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

timelessbeing wrote:Displacement-on-demand as an idea isn't new, but widespread production sure is. I'd like to hear more about it, blacknome. What have ya got? What's the latest scoop?

Direct injection is pretty common now isn't it? I haven't really been keeping up.
I have had a freind for years who is a Dodge Lover and bleeds RAMs blood ( but his DD is a Grand Prix go figure ).
He and I go back and forth and lately he is raving over this new displacement on demand thing that Chryco is pushing. That and the 8 speed trans they are working on as well. He figures his next worktruck will get 25 mpgs. I will beleive it when I see it

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

1Gary wrote:Maybe some will fill in the senior moment I am having right now,but I do remember a manufacture that has a adjusted the intake runner length depending on the demands of a engine.So if at a higher RPM,it adjusts the intake runner longer for more HP and if lower,shorter for more torque.It does open up a whole new tech where your not locked into one intake runner design.I think it is Dodge,but I am not sure.Kind of cool none the less.
Do you recall if this set up would alter the plenum on the fly or did you have to set it up prior to running the engine?

Peter

leadtrombone
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by leadtrombone »

Kabey's Van wrote:
1Gary wrote:Maybe some will fill in the senior moment I am having right now,but I do remember a manufacture that has a adjusted the intake runner length depending on the demands of a engine.So if at a higher RPM,it adjusts the intake runner longer for more HP and if lower,shorter for more torque.It does open up a whole new tech where your not locked into one intake runner design.I think it is Dodge,but I am not sure.Kind of cool none the less.
Do you recall if this set up would alter the plenum on the fly or did you have to set it up prior to running the engine?

Peter

The one that i remember and think of was an on the fly system. Let me check and see if i can find it...

(edit added links)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_l ... e_manifold

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-VIS
1999 Safari SLE. Stock. Proud owner since May 2010. So far I love it..

P1050479 by leadtrombone, on Flickr

The old cars - my progression to here (most recent first)

1996 Honda Passport
1988 BMW 320i touring
1989 BMW 520
2005 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab
1989 BMW 320i
1990 Toyota Tercel EZ
1991 Mitshubishi Mirage
1970 Mercedes Benz 250 Saloon

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I'm not sure if it's big block or not, but the GM 6.2L V8 has VVT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine#6200

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

The bbc family of engine's starts with the 396, a highly swot after engine and goes up to the 454, all bowtie engines. There are many variations within this family of engines, as with the small block many big block parts are interchangeable.
A big block engine is quite at home producing up to 2000 horse without tearing itself apart.
Although an awesome engine the 6.2 is not a member of the sbc/bbc engine family. It is more of an LS series engine. It's an all aluminum engine which keeps your weight down and is a popular choice for hotrodders because of it's light weight and high horse power.
I'm not too sure how other engines variable valve timing systems work but I do know that this engine has a two stage cam. Stage 1 valve timing for low rpm and a second stage for higher rpm.
When I think of VVT I envision true variable valve timing where the cam alters it's timing thoughout the entire rpm range exponentially rather than in stages.
I don't know if this even exists, but it would be cool if it did. I'm thinking of maybe a set of weights on the end of the camshaft that work like the weights in a distributor's mechanical advance. As the rpm's increase the cam timing advances.

Peter