Quest for the ultimate kayak/mountain bike shuttle rig

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Quest for the ultimate kayak/mountain bike shuttle rig

Post by potskie »

I don't even have a motorcycle...... I have a 12speed that I welded a 40cc trimmer engine on LOL
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

potskie wrote:I don't even have a motorcycle...... I have a 12speed that I welded a 40cc trimmer engine on LOL
I want pics.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

ihatemybike wrote:
potskie wrote:I don't even have a motorcycle...... I have a 12speed that I welded a 40cc trimmer engine on LOL
I want pics.
WITH soundtrack!
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

CDGsafari98
I get chills without my van.

Post by CDGsafari98 »

Wow, What a great thread. I might get fired as I just read through the entire thread at work. :-k

There is so much in this thread that I can relate too. 1 I am working towards building my ultimate Van as well, which for me will be a two inch lift (overland) when I can afford it, hitch mounted Bike rack, custom light bar in the front, diamond aluminum plate on the floor and sides inside, a custom subwoofer box that fits underneath the third row with a custom amp rack under the second row. An lets not forget the Train horn. I bought my Safari AWD almost two years ago off of ebay. It has needed some serious TLC, and as my daily driver I have not yet really been able to get started on the good stuff. Have to work through the neccessary stuff first. ](*,)

2 I love mountain biking, I currently have a specialized fsr enduro. I love this bike and have been up and down the east coast with it, from VA to Ma. I dont ride as much as I used to, but this bike has done it all from serious trails in the winter on ice to city rides including staircase jumps.

Ne way after reading I had to say something. I look forward to reading as your project devlops. Post pics as often as you can. And note that I am jealous, but I will get there as soon as my wallet (and the fiance) let me! :supz:
2000 AWD Astro daily driver/ family car
98 AWD Safari I call it "the Van" Dead at the moment
02 Grand Am "the wifes car"

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

You sure the 2" lift is all you want? Not bad but take it from me who said "2" is enough" - it did the job but man now with more lift it is awesome! Go a bit more ... you wont regret it! No light bar for me - but I will be slapping on the lights I bought not long ago on my grill some time soon.
I echo the Specialized bikes - love them, been a loyal rider since 1994 started with my imported Grey Rockhopper Comp.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

CDGsafari98 wrote:Wow, What a great thread. I might get fired as I just read through the entire thread at work. :-k

There is so much in this thread that I can relate too. 1 I am working towards building my ultimate Van as well, which for me will be a two inch lift (overland) when I can afford it, hitch mounted Bike rack, custom light bar in the front, diamond aluminum plate on the floor and sides inside, a custom subwoofer box that fits underneath the third row with a custom amp rack under the second row. An lets not forget the Train horn. I bought my Safari AWD almost two years ago off of ebay. It has needed some serious TLC, and as my daily driver I have not yet really been able to get started on the good stuff. Have to work through the neccessary stuff first. ](*,)

2 I love mountain biking, I currently have a specialized fsr enduro. I love this bike and have been up and down the east coast with it, from VA to Ma. I dont ride as much as I used to, but this bike has done it all from serious trails in the winter on ice to city rides including staircase jumps.

Ne way after reading I had to say something. I look forward to reading as your project devlops. Post pics as often as you can. And note that I am jealous, but I will get there as soon as my wallet (and the fiance) let me! :supz:

Glad you like the thread. The responses I've received to all my questions have been priceless. Its great to run your ideas and questions by the guys who have been there, lifted that, etc. Gives you the info to really think things thru and reconsider things you haven't even thought of. Like his suggestion to go higher than 2" :-k .

My lift kit will probably arrive while I'm in Mexico, so I hope to install it after I return in late Feb. When I "git r done", I'm buying you all a beer! :drinkers:

Specialized gives you a helluva lotta bike for your money. They have great R&D, and sell at such large volumes that they get the best suppliers at the best terms. I still have my old Specialized helmet. Some letters have been rubbed off in crashes so now it says "Special ed" :muhaha:

I got the van for basically an even swap, selling my "paid off" Dakota for $8500, then buying the Astro for $9000, so now its nice having a budget to spend on mods. And I figure I'll do it quick, in a couple different phases, so I'll have it done the way I want it basically right away, and can amortize the $ for a longer portion of the vans life.

What type of light bar are you thinking of? I think I'd like to go with some sort of push bar/ rhino bar with lights in it. Not a full on brush guard that surrounds the headlights; just a rounded push bar.

Can't wait to drive 'er lifted.
car.gif
car.gif (3.13 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
ImageImageImageImage

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

T.Low wrote: My lift kit will probably arrive while I'm in Mexico, so I hope to install it after I return in late Feb. When I "git r done", I'm buying you all a beer! :drinkers:

OHOHOH my first first I posted first! Dude I think you better fly us down to Mexico for the drinks otherwise you are going to go broke. PS They love us Canadians ... 8-[
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

CDGsafari98

Post by CDGsafari98 »

Hey PHR 2" should be enough, I dont do any serious offroading in it and it still is my Family vehicle, besides more than two inches and you have to change steering columns and drivlines and stuff. I am not that talent mechanically! Plus I still park in indoor garages from time to time so I will need to fit!

Yes Specialized does give you a lot for your money. I have had this rig since 2000 and it came with close to 5" of travel front and rear then, And I paid less than 1500 for it. Maybe after I finish hookin up the van I will spring for another Specialized. LOL to your helmet T low Its probably true!

As for a light bar no full bars the front of theses vans are attractive and do not need to be hidden, I want just the loop in the front that tops out just over the front bumper, so I can mount 4 extra lights! I want to see everything. \:D/

Hey t low ever think about the front hitchs so you can mount a bike rack in the front as well? I was thinking about that because I might do a cargo carrier in the back.

Sorry for the long post, but I am takling about my van here LOL :supz:

Does it have to be beer Ill take some vodka

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Oh I got you ... my exact thoughts when I started because I live in an area with lots of underground parking (Lower Mainland BC Canada) and so 2" I started with, now I have cranked the front and added 2.5" add-leafs with the LT235/75/15 I can clear to about 6'6" anything below that think twice heh he. Or at least check for cameras and people watching before attempting to enter ;p

Well if it is vodka we are aiming for, two bottles of some good swedish stuff should do :partyman:

CDGsafari98

Post by CDGsafari98 »

Yes sir I used to live in NYC now in Central Jersey, however I am in NYC often enough that it has to remain a consideration. Beside I go 2 now, and I can go bigger later. Plus what am I going to need to drive over? These vans have decent clearance as it is.

As long as it is not Smirnoff, I am fine with it. :partyman: :drinkers:

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

phr1$k37 wrote:
T.Low wrote: My lift kit will probably arrive while I'm in Mexico, so I hope to install it after I return in late Feb. When I "git r done", I'm buying you all a beer! :drinkers:

OHOHOH my first first I posted first! Dude I think you better fly us down to Mexico for the drinks otherwise you are going to go broke. PS They love us Canadians ... 8-[

Thats a great idea, I'll fly everyone down to Mexico for a tequila w/ beer chasers as a way of showing my appreciation. Everyone except you, that is. Since you live so close to me, we can meet you in White Rock or Burnaby or somwhere cool like that and hang with or Astros in rain or 10 below! We'll rock it out and I'll tell you how everyone enjoyed Mexico while we're hangin with our vans! :muhaha:
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Ladies and Gentlemen of Astrosafarivans.org, please grab the adult beverage of your choice and and raise it in a toast to yourselves as I salute you in helping me reach my goal of acquiring and building the Ultimate Mountain Bike/Kayak Shuttle Rig, a 2003 AWD Astro Van, complete with Overland 4-5" Lift Kit, Rancho 9000s adjustable shocks with dash remote kit, Kelly Pathfinder AT's, Chevy Zed71 16" wheels (a little tribute to my new Canadian friends, there :muhaha: ) and enough Thule roof rack/ hitch mount parts and pieces to sponsor a Swedish hockey tournament. Please consider this an official thank you, from the bottom of my checking account...I mean the bottom of my heart!

Its everything I thought it should be. Of course there are many future plans for upgrades, as most of you already know. Blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda, thank you thank you thank you, I couldn't have done it with out your help. (Forgive me, I spent my lunch hour loading the van so I can play hookey tomorrow afternoon with it, and I'm going to be late for my next appt!) Will post more later.

Bottoms UP! :drinkers: :partyman: \:D/ :supz:
shuttle loading zone.jpg
shuttle loading zone.jpg (63.52 KiB) Viewed 4105 times
shuttle rig 2.jpg
shuttle rig 2.jpg (54.81 KiB) Viewed 4103 times
shuttle 5.jpg
shuttle 5.jpg (67.72 KiB) Viewed 4094 times
Last edited by T.Low on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

That thing rocks!
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Great pics T.Low! :supz:
I load my kayak on to a Yakima setup.Its a 2 seater at around 65#.
How you like loading up your boats way up there after your lift?!
I had Dean(LiftedAWDAstro),build me a modified version of his rock rails,kind of like nerf bars.Gives me something to stand on ,and mine's not even lifted yet!I also have a Yakima boatloader that helps,but when I'm wore out from paddling it can be a struggle sometimes. :-({|=
Anyways again,great looking ride! :partyman:
Can't wait for spring to start work on MY van!I've been buying up parts all winter,so I,ve got lots of work ahead! =P~
Peace, Bill
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

midnighthunder89
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by midnighthunder89 »

Love the van. do i wish i had those bikes to put in mine. Would not mind the kayaks either. Great job
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.