Gas mileage

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Gas mileage

Post by Astrophysics »

I just installed the K&N air filter , 33-2225 , into my 2003 AWD Astro. the old filter had about 20,000 and was a bit dirty anyway. I fired up the van with the K& N and it seems to be a bit louder with air in rush. I will drive it tommorow to work and see if it gets a bit more power.
I also pulled the 20 amp ATC fuse to dis able the front wheel drive. I will see if that helps mileage.

Just like WV Kayaker said, I may put some 215/75-16 BFG Longs trails on to replace the BFG TA KO (225/70-16 ) tires for summer and have the KO's mounted on some steel wheels.

Have a good summer every one.

PS.

I ordered the 2 inch lift kit and bumper bracket from Dan.
and it was a total bummer when some punks stole the UPS box from my front porch. What a nightmare, they probably thought it was some electronics i Pod or computer crap, and the sad thing is that they probably just tossed the Astro lift kit into the dumpster. Next time I will have the delivery signature requried.

wagonmaster
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by wagonmaster »

Stan said:
It WAS doing 17ish in town and 20-21 on the highway
I think that's impressive, considering you have considerably more H.P. and displacement to feed! Hope my '39 does as well with 3.55 gears and the 4L80E....with it's 6.0!!
Joe

Freedom isn't Free!
My cars/trucks and bikes on http://www.picturetrail.com/wagonmaster55

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Astrophysics wrote:I ordered the 2 inch lift kit and bumper bracket from Dan. and it was a total bummer when some punks stole the UPS box from my front porch. What a nightmare, they probably thought it was some electronics i Pod or computer crap, and the sad thing is that they probably just tossed the Astro lift kit into the dumpster. Next time I will have the delivery signature requried.
This is why I ship everything to work, plus the shipping cost to work is usually cheaper if they are using UPS or those something-X guys.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Astrophysics,
That sucks your UPS package was ripped off!
Will pulling the ATC fuse really help?
I'd like to hear some more opinions on swapping in smaller less aggressive tires for the summer.
I Will be following this thread to read your impressions on the K&N filter too.
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Ran around a little more than I was expecting and was getting nervous as the needle got closer to E, so I filled up. Info Center said I burned 22.6 gallons at 20.3 mpg with 458.7 on the trip odometer, however I was only able to pump 21.177 gallons.

That calculates to 21.66 mpg, over 35% above the EPA rating! :supz:
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

HaHa, @#$%^& Astro fillers, probably couldn't get the last gallon+ in. Still good numbers tho...
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Astrophysics wrote:PS.

I ordered the 2 inch lift kit and bumper bracket from Dan.
and it was a total bummer when some punks stole the UPS box from my front porch. What a nightmare, they probably thought it was some electronics i Pod or computer crap, and the sad thing is that they probably just tossed the Astro lift kit into the dumpster. Next time I will have the delivery signature requried.

Ah crap!? Sorry to hear that dude - and I know you been waiting to get this done. :(
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Yep, I was totally bummed out when my UPS package disappeared. I was hoping they got a guilty conscious and would just drive by some night and dump it back at my house once they realized it was unique mechanical car parts that only fit an Astro. I may wait a couple more weeks and see what happens.

The 2 inch lift would have been perfect for my Astro, then I could have removed the air shocks from the rear which have too much preload and jack up the rear a bit even when set at 0 psi. this would have balanced out the front and rear.
But ya, like we all are trying hard to improve mileage now anyway. I kinda drive 55 mph now with cruise control on.
lots of folks have slowed down now with the high gas price, so I don't get honked or tailgated too badly if I stay in slow lane. Heck now I am so bent on high mileage that I even resisted the urge to goose it today and test out the new K&N filter. The ATC fuse pulled does seem to help avoid some of the AWD front wheel noise and grab at slow parking lot speeds. I found a nice plastic knock out plate on my dash to the right of the steering wheel. I think I will install a switch to control a relay that can switch in or out the AWD , ATC function, I guess the acronym ATC must mean Automatic traction control? I will just put electrical flat spade lugs into the fuse location and run wires to a 30 amp realy and also put the original fuse into an in line fuse holder to protect the circuit.

I think the steel wheels from Chevy truck are interchangeable on the 6 bolt 20003 16 inch wheels on my Astro.
So I may get some steel "take offs" factory OEM wheels from Acker Wheel in San Jose, CA and use them to mount my BFG TA KO's. Then the summer tires can go on the alloy Astro wheels.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

ok i just got back from towing an astro 600km with my safari i decided to see how much gas i used on the way back since i used 2 full tanks on the way up (pretty hilly terrain) i was shocked and confussed to find out i only used roughly 65 liters on the trip back that's like 26 MPG right..? i didn't think it was possible from my van.... is it?
i think i'm heading to bed now that was a 1200km round trip today.... probably about time for an oil change now thanks to that lol
HMB
Cobra
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Had a "3 tank trip" this weekend on the LS1 'Stro. Mileage was all over the place thanks to the Astro sorry ass filling system but the average was 18.6mpg. That's down on the 20-21 it got before the 3.42 to 3.73 rear gear swap, 70 series to 60 series tires, and HyperTech tune. Still not bad for all the "punch" this sucker has but I hate it when I lose ground anywhere. Man, I tried to hold the speed down to the 70 - 75 mph range and only floor it when I needed a "grin" too.
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

tried to hold the speed down to the 70 - 75 mph range and only floor it when I needed a "grin" too.
:muhaha: :muhaha:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

HPbyStan wrote:Had a "3 tank trip" this weekend on the LS1 'Stro. Mileage was all over the place thanks to the Astro sorry ass filling system but the average was 18.6mpg. That's down on the 20-21 it got before the 3.42 to 3.73 rear gear swap, 70 series to 60 series tires, and HyperTech tune. Still not bad for all the "punch" this sucker has but I hate it when I lose ground anywhere. Man, I tried to hold the speed down to the 70 - 75 mph range and only floor it when I needed a "grin" too.

Thanks for sharing that Stan.I have been looking for someone to post their mpg's with 3.73 gears and what set up they have.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

HPbyStan wrote:Had a "3 tank trip" this weekend on the LS1 'Stro. Mileage was all over the place thanks to the Astro sorry ass filling system but the average was 18.6mpg. That's down on the 20-21 it got before the 3.42 to 3.73 rear gear swap, 70 series to 60 series tires, and HyperTech tune. Still not bad for all the "punch" this sucker has but I hate it when I lose ground anywhere. Man, I tried to hold the speed down to the 70 - 75 mph range and only floor it when I needed a "grin" too.

20 mpg eh that sure sounds like justifacation for my awd ls1 powered safari.... i better start looking for an engine
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

I think a LQ4 / LQ9 swap would be easier. They already have the oil pan and pickup you want, the computer is on the left side like the Astro instead of the right as on a Trans-Am, and I think the fuel system is the same and the LS1 is slightly different. If I do this again, it will be with one of those.
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Well, the K&N free flow cotton filter and pulling the ATC AWD fuse, experiment was inconclusive as far as mileage per tank, since I was driving it faster just to get a grin from the rush of air into the aircleaner, and some jerk behind me in a Montero honked at me at an expressway merge so next signal green light I floored the Asro and left him in the tire dust. so much for macho mileage run. anyway, I put the ATC fuse back in and now I get the low speed parking lot front wheel traction scrub momentarily like I used to .

I am still amazed at why GM did not make a better from wheel articluation to allow a better turning circle. the 2003 AWD with the 225/70-16 KO BFG TA's is a very long 44 ft turn circle. My 4 WD 1999 Yukon can really crank the front wheels and its turn circle is about 39 ft. oh well,

my astro always gets 15 mpg and the 5.7 liter Yukon only gets 10 or so with heavy foot.