engine stumbles & dies in gear

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Re: engine stumbles & dies in gear

Post by skippy »

Ok we just found one more thing that has me thinking an electrical device going bad , when the van is started cold & dropped into gear right away & driven it runs fine , like it should .but after driving it a short time till it warms up , it acts up again. starts to run like crap again .

Larry we are going to replace the dizzy with the one from my 88 , i'm hoping that your on the right track . hell , everything else has been replaced , it could very possibly be a broken dizzy .

i'll let ya know on this later .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

it could very possibly be a broken dizzy .

I know you're dizzy from all this,,I'm dizzy reading it.lol
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

dafrogtoad
I get chills without my van.

Post by dafrogtoad »

Check the coolant sensor....it's possible that it's toast and telling the ECM it's 40 below...
Long shot but possible.
Got that nugget from a friend and I am going to check mine...
350 hp full roller SBC
Vortec iron heads
Modded TBI, 65 inj. Aeromotove Fuel reg. Speckter/K&N filter
4 core rad. Stewart WP
Heddmans, Dynomax Ultra Flo X
Tach
Alpine
Lund Moon Visor

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Dizzy replaced with NO difference !!! i'm running out of things to replace here . this things gonna be a rolling bonfire soon , i'm telling ya !!!!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Check the coolant sensor....it's possible that it's toast and telling the ECM it's 40 below...

temp sensor is working fine , it was checked when the scanner was on it & temps are where they should be .

DAILY THOUGHT:

dafrogtoad
I get chills without my van.

Post by dafrogtoad »

awwwwwwwwww well
350 hp full roller SBC
Vortec iron heads
Modded TBI, 65 inj. Aeromotove Fuel reg. Speckter/K&N filter
4 core rad. Stewart WP
Heddmans, Dynomax Ultra Flo X
Tach
Alpine
Lund Moon Visor

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Try starting it in the dark. All lighting off around the engine bay and see if any shorts are visable.
It sure sounds like something is shorting out underload.
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

I'm telling you, get another harness or start checking resistance. I've dealt with lots of weired problems due to bad wiring or connections. You have to remember these are low voltage signals and if you get a build up of resistance it will change things.

Either that call and arrange an exorcisim. :muhaha:
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

right about now , an exorciszm would be in order lol.

gonna check to see if my harness from my 88 will do but i doubt it . so checking wires is next .

DAILY THOUGHT:

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

right about now , an exorciszm would be in order lol.
)>)

Peter should be able to help with this. Doesn't he have something in pink a Preist would wear ?

Maybe light a few sticks of incence and let the smoke slowly flow across the wiring.

Good luck Skippy. :supz:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

OK , This has been a friggin nightmare !!! Thank you guys for all your help & suggestions . The astrosafari family we have here is without a doubt the best bunch of people i have ever met & dealt with , Thank you again .

Well it seems the nightmare is over , shes up & running again . It turns out that it was 4 different problems causing our troubles . first off we're not exactly sure what gave us the code 42 (electronic spark timing ) it could have been the ESC module or the ICM going bad OR it could have been the timing chain so badly worn . but as you know , all were replaced .
so after driving it for a day the computer seems to have reset itself and its running great again , but we still had a bog or a drag when you stepped on the gas peddle . we took it for a ride., got out and noticed a burning break smell & as driving dennis noticed it pulling to the left , so after replacing the front break hoses (if ya replace 1 your better off replacing both ) . no more drag , no more hesitation, no more problems !!!!!!!

so a combination of a bad sensor bad timing chain & bad breaks & the nut behind the wheel , shes back up & running better than she has in quite awhile !!!!

DAILY THOUGHT:

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Aaaaaaaaa,,,sleep tonight at last. No more going through eveything in your head over and over again.
Good deal Skippy.

VIDEO

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

it was a rough ride, but you got it. Good work, I wonder if the thought of having Peter come over in a pink dress for an exorcisim did it? )>)
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

That's great Skippy.I guess it is a another sample of how no problem here is too big to be solved.Good work Skippy!!!.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Congrads Skip :supz:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch