Post by nitropyro »

very nice work martin! love the good "how to" pics
Danny
Danny im 21 year old with an 89 astro bbc 9in bagged 20's & 18's

stomp13
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Project Astrolade

Post by stomp13 »

WOW nice work. When I first saw that the customer wanted a caddy front end, I wasn't feeling it. 9 times out of 10 when I see stuff like that its sooooooo badly done but your work is really well done. Thank you for posting the pic's.

:drinkers:
99 Astro LS AWD. 200k. Overlands 2inch lift. No name 29inch LT tires.

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

Wow! Nice work :)
Nice to see someone who takes their time to ensure the customer will be happy and that your services are done right! =D>
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

Topic author
Mcfly Minis
I get chills without my van.

Post by Mcfly Minis »

Finished the passenger fender, I forgot grab pictures after priming. I'll post em' tomorrow.

Martin

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Your good. Oh yeah, you're good! Dyin' to see the finished product, but glad to be able to learn how you get there.
BTW, is there something you're supposed to apply between the various pieces of sheetmetal so as to prevent rust from forming at the joints? How would you apply it, where and when? Jez curious....
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Excellent work!!!!!!!!! It's nice to see how this is done. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Very very nice work. keep them pics coming.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
Mcfly Minis

Post by Mcfly Minis »

peter wrote:BTW, is there something you're supposed to apply between the various pieces of sheetmetal so as to prevent rust from forming at the joints? How would you apply it, where and when? Jez curious....
I spray the back of my pieces of "filler" sheet metal with self etching primer, you could also use an epoxy primer. I prefer self etching for bare metal. They also sell a weld through primer that will prevent corrosion on the back side of filler pieces and it won't inhibit your ability to weld. I have never tried it.

I always try to pre-spray the back of the filler pieces I'm going to use. I didn't on this fender because I knew I could spray it after it was welded on, but sometimes you arn't able to, so it has to be done before.
Martin

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

What is the dark green product that you layed down before the bondo? is that "Marglass"

Did you put it onto the bare metal?

Why did you have to make that cut (going back) on the upper side of the fender? .... curious?

I appreciate seeing all the welding and fabrication details before they are covered by bondo and paint. Well Done!
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

This is fantastic; you are skilled!
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Topic author
Mcfly Minis

Post by Mcfly Minis »

SoCalli V8 wrote:What is the dark green product that you layed down before the bondo? is that "Marglass"

Did you put it onto the bare metal?

Why did you have to make that cut (going back) on the upper side of the fender? .... curious?

I appreciate seeing all the welding and fabrication details before they are covered by bondo and paint. Well Done!

The dark green product is called duraglass I am new to it, but I love it so far. You can place it right over bare metal no problems. It's rock hard when it's cured. It is also water proof I believe. You only want to use it as a gap filler, or if you have a large dent that can't be pulled. It's so tough to sand you wouldn't want any of it to be exposed after you apply your lightweight body filler.

I had to move the fender in about an inch. I would have liked to go further but I didn't want to take my chances of it not looking right or there being lots of body work after. That is why I ended up frenching the top corner. Plus I think it looks better frenched.
So in order to push the fender in i had to cut it up toward the windshield, that let me push the top of the fender over. Then I had to push the top of the fender down and overlap the side I pushed in. I then welded up that seam. This did all sorts of weird stuff with the hood/fender body line, so there was lots of cutting there also.

You know what, I'll make of video of me doing the other side. That should make it clear.
Martin

Topic author
Mcfly Minis

Post by Mcfly Minis »

primer pics
Martin

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Now that's clean. looking forward to the video.
They also sell a weld through primer that will prevent corrosion on the back side of filler pieces and it won't inhibit your ability to weld. I have never tried it.
I sprayed the back of my fillers also. Have used the weld through primer and works well,,never know it's there.

Darren,,glad you asked about the fender cut,,I didn't understand why that had to be done either but I live at the 96 way down south so that should explain my problem. :yawinkle:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

astrosafari
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by astrosafari »

that looks pretty sweet. nicely done :)

we use the the weld through primer at the body shop im doing my co-op at right now, it works good, but i dont know which brand it is...

cant wait to see it finished its lookin good.
91 blazer|00 extreme|99 winter beater

jamesfoster
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by jamesfoster »

Nice work. I like it. Looking forward to the finished project. Where's your shop located? And how long have you been doing bodywork and stuff?
2004 Dodge SRT-4 DD
2000 Bagged and Shaved Astro Cargo Daily Driver FS
1990 Mistubishi Eclipse AWD Turbo built motor, tranny, roll cage etc...
1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Caged shell
2000 Ford F-150 Single Cab Shortbed FS
2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R