Transmission Cooler

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Rvamobiledetailing
I get chills without my van.

temp update

Post by Rvamobiledetailing »

Ok got the sensor wire installed late last night and was able to get some readings today. Just so everybody knows this is a 95 astro with a 212,000 mile original 4l60e. I have about 500 lbs of mobile detailing equipment in the van on a daily basis,here is the break down;

55 gallon water tank with 40 gallons of water in it= about 320 lbs.
Pressure washer=75 lbs.
Vaccum=20 lbs.
chemicals=10 lbs
misc=50 lbs.

The below reading was from a cold start. The distance was short (11 miles from work to home) about a mile at the beginning and end where off the highway,rest was on the highway going about 65-70. This was the temp while idling as soon as i got home. Temp outside was about 55

Here is the actual coolant temp for referance

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Transmission Cooler

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The tranny temp climbed pretty fast for only an 11 mile trip! Once you get the large cooler on there, an 11 mile trip will barely move the gauge.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Hey guys, I thought the exact opposite. I thought that the temp was a good example of how the stock cooler in the radiator kept the trans temp below the coolant temp. Am I wrong? What should the operating temp of the transmission be?
Thanks, Jim

Rvamobiledetailing

I thought so to Jim but after I thought about it that was only 11 miles and I really didn't stop and it was only 55 degrees going to install cooler tommorow and get new numbers asap

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Think you might have the time to run aux. cooler only and post the difference between that and running rad. and aux ?
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Rvamobiledetailing

SUre I should be able to do that and let u all know the results

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Great,,should be interesting.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The ideal trans temp is 180 or less. His temps are absolutely fine. Just wait until summertime and 90 degree plus days and going further than 11 miles. Now add in a full load and towing and the temps will get above 200 easily.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

Rvamobiledetailing

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:The ideal trans temp is 180 or less. His temps are absolutely fine. Just wait until summertime and 90 degree plus days and going further than 11 miles. Now add in a full load and towing and the temps will get above 200 easily.
Yup I know that's right. Going to detail a car about 20 miles away when I get off,doubt temp will change any but will take a pic and post tonight

Rvamobiledetailing

Ok so i got around to installing the long transmission cooler today. Anybody looking for a tranny cooler this is a super nice unit buy the way.

Install went pretty easy,took about 90 mins total.

Got everything hooked back up and went out driving and here are the results. Van had all detailing equipment in it still and it was about 65 outside.

This was after one hour of driving in stop and go traffic,here is the coolant temp as reference again

That's about a difference of 35 plus degrees!!! Def glad i installed it.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Make a HUGE difference! =D> Excellent install and pics.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Rebel wrote:Think you might have the time to run aux. cooler only and post the difference between that and running rad. and aux ?
Rva, Were you able to do this? Thanks, Jim

Rvamobiledetailing

not yet i want to give it some time i will prob switch over on like weds or thurs and ride that way for a couple days.Want to drive around for a couple of days both ways to confirm which way is better
LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Make a HUGE difference! =D> Excellent install and pics.
Thanks!! And thanks again for the great tutorial you did

batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Are you measuring the hot fluid going to the cooler? If so, I would say your temps are probably ok. Seeing as you are on full synthetic and have excellent filtering, I wouldn't be too concerned. Something you could do to help with more cooling is put the aux cooler up front so you get ram air assistance with your cooling fan.
yes, my sender is located in the remote filter mount and it is coming from the output line then goes to the coolers. the factory tow package aux cooler is up front but its kinda small.

I wonder if its would be ok to just reverse the lines out of the trans hmm.. I'll have to look at my routing again.

also, has anyone installed the really deep B&M (3 extra quarts) pan?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70289/

wondering if it fits. I'd like to get one and add a sender there.

thanks

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Rebel wrote:
Think you might have the time to run aux. cooler only and post the difference between that and running rad. and aux ?

Rva, Were you able to do this? Thanks, Jim
Looking great. Will look forward to seeing what the readings are without the rad. cooler in line.

VIDEO