Just some misc pictures of Astros

Post photos, video of your van

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Re: Just some misc pictures of Astros

Post by rlsllc »

sfeaver wrote:That looks good, I'll have to head to the local junkyard and have a look. Is that the express MAF too? Or the Astro one. Reason I ask as the Express Maf (at least for 2002) is 3.5", I think astro is 3.25".

Any pics on the intake part would be appreciated. I am just about at that point. Hows your fan shroud coming? I have some more pics of that, but the camera is out in the garage right now! I'll get em up for you if they will help.

Scott
I guestimated the size of the MAF based on what you stated before, 3.5", and it is like 1/4" larger than the Safari one, so 3.25" makes sense. I didn't actually measure it :dunce: I'm bad about that stuff sometimes. My '99 5.7 came with the tube and MAF, I got lucky I guess.

I'll get some pics for ya tomorrow. I have to get back on this thing, I've been doing other stuff and being a lazy bum. I haven't but looked at the shroud, I may cut the entire thing down, haven't decided. I should have went electric on the fans, but I like the simplicity of the stock one. I'd like to see your pics, you can't get enough help, as you know. No rush, it wil be this weekend at the earliest. We're trying to finish the house addition and (gasp) start moving in to it this week!

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

I got some goodies today from the scrapyard. Got an Express intake and tube. It looks to be the same length (the plastic part, not the rubber). But it is on a bit of an angle.

I also got a intake tube off a late 90s 3.8 V6 w-body car, maybe a Lumina or something, cant remember now. But its short, flexible, 3.5" both ends and has the right angle in it. Apart from the IAT sensor being in the bottom, i think it just might work.

Also got a new tranny tube, and believe it or not it can be replaced with everything in place! Was tight, wasnt a 1/16" to spare!

I'll take some pictures tomorrow, Im planning on trying to get the intake in. Who do you think sells a 3 1/2" band clamp?

Scott

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Here are the fan shroud pics:

http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad10 ... %20Shroud/

Scott

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I failed to get the pics today. I admit that I suck. Sorry. I will try again tomorrow. I did get my wiring harness and PCM back in, and radiator, and started on the trans cooler. Then before I knew it, it was dark. I'll post pics of progress Saturday most likely.

Later!!

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Intake tubes

Post by rlsllc »

Intake tubes

3.5" 5.7 full size van and 3.25" Safari MAF

5.7 on top

5.7 on left

5.7 on bottom

5.7 on right

Just layng there, no clamp and shroud not in, looks like it will fit but will be to the right a little.

I ordered a 3 pack of these 3.5" intake tube coupler from evil-bay, for like $15.50 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0422336021

This will let me join the MAF and air box.

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

This is how my wife found the van after her craft show. It was fine when parked.

:toimonster:

Limp home kit

The forman is watching...

I jammed a piece of wood under the bumpstop, and installed the non-mini mini-spare, and it did not rub! :guitar: We load all of the craft stuff and I drove it home 25 miles on back hilly curvey roads.

Home!

compressed wood

Broken torsion bar

trans crossmember with bars ready to go back in, I'll spare you the hammering and swearing, etc, part of getting it to this point and reassembling. It actually went well since I had it all apart last year and when I changed the broken right one. :dunce: I knew I should change both, but didn't :dunce:

I adjusted the ride height to 29.5" to the lip of the fender above the center of the wheel, which is 1" lower than the rear empty with no seats. Drives good.

I changed the oil since it was in the air, it was a little early but oh well. I rotated the tires also, and since the wheels were off I checked the brakes, hammered off the stuck drums, removed the adjusters, lubed and tightened them up for a nice firm high pedal, and anti-seezed everything so it won't be stuck next time. The drums have been a little noisy anyway, and there was some loose rust in them. They are still a little noisy but work fine.

:cheers:

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

I got some intake pics for you.. I see in your pics you have the airbox tight against the upper rad support. The hood wont close there, I was measuring to the same place but it wont work!

But check these pics, I have it all together. I put about 30 miles on it tonight. I used the stuff I got from the scrapyard yesterday.

First tube from the Astro Throttle Body adaptor is part number 24504715: I believe it was a late nineties W-body 3.8 FWD car but I cant find that part number in my Gm parts program. I know it exists though!

Then the bigger MAF goes in place. Then I cut the stock Express tube at the appropriate rib, and into the stock Astro airbox.

I still need a clamp around the "cut off express end" and the MAF. But it fits tight, and has no room to move with the airbox on. I drove around like this. But will certainly get some sort of clamp on it.

I took a video of the engine idling before I got the exhaust bolted/welded on.

http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad10 ... I_5994.mp4

Scott

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I wondered about the hood. I could take it off...no I guess I'll look for the part you found. It is really cool that you figured this out and posted it. Thanks man!!

Congrats on getting it up and running!!!!!! Sounds sweet!

I'm going out in a few and hope to make progress today, fingers crossed!!

:guitar:

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Well drove it about 50 miles today. It was 92 degrees here, I had the air on full blast. Well she starts to get warm in the city. Stays nice and cool on the highway. Stays cool enough with the A/C on low. So maybe the mechanical fan with the cut up shroud isnt going to cut it.

I also noticed that the engine moves a bit more than I thought, I rubbed through the shroud about a quarter inch by the compressor, and slightly at the bottom. I wanted to keep as much material as I could, but I guess I gotta trim it back some more.

But it is looking like electric fans are going to be a must. The clutch is good and I can hear it, its making lots of noise. But I dont hear the wind against the firewall like I did with the old motor and proper shroud.

Another thing, you would not believe how much heat that doghouse blocks when its on. Unbelivable!! I drove it last night without it on and man was it hot even with the windows down. The doghouse doesnt get the respect it deserves! hehe

Scott

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Just went for another spin, its down to 82 outside. Stays around 200 now. I adjusted the shroud so no more rubbing. Less load from the ac too.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Scott,
Not sure you saw the thread,but Dean did say the Ford Crown Vic 14" electric fan with a shroud works really well.Might want to do a search for that or maybe Dean will catch this post and chime in.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Thanks for the info.. I had a look at that. I also found that Flex-A-Lite makes a setup with two electric fans with a shroud that is for 28" x 17" rads. It looks slick and thats the size of the rad.

Also found a thread about a 92 Pontiac transport rad, and having the Astro tanks put on. Same size rad, but 1 3/8" think instead of 5/8".

I think these two items are going to solve any heat problems for good. Just not cheap, but will be an easy fix.

Scott

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Actually the fan I talk about is from a Taurus with the 3.8 V6 engine and is around 16" in diameter and does in fact have a shroud.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

It Lives!

Post by rlsllc »

For about 50 miles so far anyway. SES is on, so I gotta figure that out, but runs great.

I basically cut 4.5" off of the shroud, which put the fan about half in and half out, which is usually where they move air the best. I chose that amount 'cause that is the difference in engine length.

Oil cooler lines, top Safari, bottom Savana. Neither would work as they were, so I spliced them together. I hope they don't leak.

I always flare pipe when I'm going to connect it to rubber hose, so I just put 3/8" tube nuts on and double flared so the line could go back together if needed with a union.\

clears the grille by 1/4", and is about 3/8" from the condensor. Not sure if that is good or not. Brackets are from can lights, I trimmed and painted them to fit.

Priming, and saw a leak at the back of the left rocker cover. I put on new gaskets, so I was miffed. Guess who didn't have a 3/8" socket in the garage when he put them on and forgot to tighten them later? :dunce: When I dissassembled the thing the tool wagon was in the garage, the night I put the rockers on, all of my SAE stuff was in my shed. Working in two places bites sometimes.

This distributor looks like it is turned CC a little too much, but it is lined up with the marks to show where it was before dissassembly. Matbe that is why the SES is on, who knows, I need to get a scan tool, but there are so many choices, and I'm so over budget at this point.

This is where I am with the intake for now, I cut down the Savana intake and put a cheesey rice boy filter on it for now until I can get it right.

You can see the filter of you look, and the sanded and painted bumper. It looked good, only surface rust, so I sanded, zink primed and rustoleumed it.

Too be continued, same bat time, same bat channel....

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Excellent build. Looking great! :supz:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy